Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Tornado RTF???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Ropemedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado RTF???

Does anyone have any experience with this heli and simulator? How about for a beginner?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:25 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tornado RTF???

I think it is designed for the beginner Did you watch the video on their site? I do not know anyone that has one yet.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Yes, there are a bunch out there now.

See this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3232482/tm.htm
Old 08-23-2005, 05:51 PM
dadio2boats
My Feedback: (1)

i got the tornado i think.it doesnt say tornado any where on it.manual says cyclone helicopter the box says nothing.looks identical to a thunderbird concepet ll that a web site is selling cheaper and it has the same inprovements looks like.good for the beginer in respect that is built to take more punishment.but realy a intermedient level bird when it comes to flying.the software cdr for fms simulator did not work.i had to download it from the web site.interface cable worked but was hard to set up.when i unpacked the bird the gyro was just hanging there had to restick down with new servo tape.i orderd a thunderbird to compair them.i will report how it flys soon.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
rctrey

i got a question about the Tornado. What are the 6 channels used for?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Stamper
My Feedback: (9)

I am really liking my Tornado. I am using it with a 3 cell 900 mah lipo. It is very stable and easy to control. It is a fixed pitched heli and a great trainer because it is so durable. Except for my xrb, this is the only heli I feel confindent to fly indoors and outdoors. Try it, you wont be sorry.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

OMP markets this as a 6 channel heli, which to me implies it's collective pitch, they never say whether it's FP or CP, though. If it's FP, then I don't know why anyone would pay $199 for a FP heli when they can get a Blade CP heli for $219.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Stamper
My Feedback: (9)

That is a good question, but it's all about what you want. I have the tornado, a blade, and an xrb. Why do I need all 3??? The blade for me, is for outside and learning some tricks. The xrb is strictly indoors. But I can fly anywhere. I mean thru doorways and on top of my cats. The tornado is very stable so I can also fly thru doorways, but it can also handle wind outside. I also am getting better with helis because I can try things and not have parts break. This heli is very well built. On the blade, I am repairing parts constantly. It is very fragile, but it also allows me to do things that I can't do on the tornado. but for a beginner, they wont be doing tricks any time soon, so why not start on a heli that wont break. There aren't too many around that I know of. You may think the $199 is high, but I think the $219 is low. Think about the money a newbie will have to invest on learning to fly with the blade. new blades aren't cheap, but the wood is. The landing gear is made out of toothpicks. the ball links break on a crash. The tornado can run full speed into a wall and all you have to do is pick it up and fly it again. No heli I ever had was this durable. I'm not trying to nut-hug the tornado, but for what it is, it is the best heli in it's class.

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

OMP markets this as a 6 channel heli, which to me implies it's collective pitch, they never say whether it's FP or CP, though. If it's FP, then I don't know why anyone would pay $199 for a FP heli when they can get a Blade CP heli for $219.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:28 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

FP helis are durable, but my experience has been that they fly like crap! A guy came out to our club with a Kyosho M24, and after trying to hover that thing for him, I wouldn't waste my money on any FP heli...

OMP should be up front with the fact that the Tornado is an FP heli... marketing it as a "6ch" heli will lead most to assume it is a CP heli. I'm sure this is their intent, especially with the line "Are you a 3D pilot looking for a change of pace?" at the top of their Tornado web page! Yeah, anyone flying 3D helis right now will get a pretty big change of pace with the Tornado... no more 3D!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:59 PM
dadio2boats
My Feedback: (1)

yep i agree the whole web page is miss leading.i should have done more research before i bought one.idont think the 5th an 6th channel is even wired up in the tx. i figured it was a cp.cant even use the radio on an other modle like that.thats what iget being a novice oh well..