Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

rudder/gyro question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:41 PM
carlyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rudder/gyro question.

Hello.

I've got my first helicopter delivered to me today! I got it complete with radio/helicoper/gyro/EVERYTHING. The helicopter was baught used, with everything needed...

Today, I got it together, and started hovering... after a half a tank, I cut the training gear off, and did my first hover without training gear. Half a tank after that, I started forward flight..

everything is fine, and I love this thing! However, I have to consistantly keep a right rudder input... maybe 20 to 30% to the right all the time. is this normal? Could it be that when I put the tail boom on, the tail roder was in a different spot?

I have a raptor 30 with a XP8108 TX and a 401 gyro. Any help would be great.

Thanks lots everyone!

Carlyle
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: rudder/gyro question.

Check the gyro gain setup and revo mixing on your radio. If you have revo mixing setup, you need to run it in rate mode, not heading hold mode. If you want to run it in heading hold mode, you need to inhibit revo mixing, and you need to turn the gyro on in HH mode for it to initialize properly. The other thing that can screw you up is if you twiddle with the rudder trim after the gyro initializes in HH mode... it takes the stick input at power up as "stationary" input, and any movement or trim right or left is seen as a "yaw" input... so if you adjust trim or have any revo, the gyro thinks you want to yaw or rotate in that direction.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
carlyle

wow. Ummmm... Anyone want to buy a helicopter? J/K.

I'll have a look at that stuff, if I can figure it out! haha.

Thanks lots!

Carlyle.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:06 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

It sounds more complicated than it really is...

If you are using the remote gain adjustment on a separate TX channel, you can set the mode (heading hold or rate mode) from your TX and even adjust the gain value in each mode... have a look at http://www.raptortechnique.com for details on how to set up the 401 with a JR TX... I believe it's covered there in detail. You have to read your TX manual to figure out how to setup revo mixing (or turn it off).