Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Kiltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Helicopter

Hi guys! I'm new at the helicopter thing so bear with me since I'm a newbie. So, I want a helicopter, just thought it looked cool. I'm wanting a helicopter and a regular plane for my dad, but the plane goes in its own thread. The helicopter, I have around 200-300 dollars. That's all, but I can stretch the money by a bit. I want a helicopter thats easy. I had a little experience with planes, I can fly them without crashing. The fast ones, I crash them occasionally. So, I just need a helicopter around 200-300 dollars that's easy to fly. Also, if possible, make it electric as I want it to be not so loud.
THANKS!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 PM
heli-cuzz

Default RE: New Helicopter

I recommend the cp blade by e-flite. It is an extremely tough little heli and it does loops, rolls and hovers inverted with a few minor upgrades.

RTF in 40 minutes out of the box, charge the battery, 8 aa for the transmitter and you're flying.

I prefer my glo-fuel Cal. 30 but the cp bade has been a great trainer for me.

I have a 1350 mah 3-cell li-po and symmetrical carbon fiber blades, with a 9 tooth main motor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82063.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	321625  
Old 09-08-2005, 09:07 PM
1ight

You're gonna have a tough time finding a heli thats easy to fly. Electrics are especially hard as they are very small, twitchy and unstable. Although they look small, they are anything but easy to control.
What are your plans in regards to helis ? Is an electric in-house flyer all you want or do you want to move onto something bigger someday down the road ? I am not trying to discourage you form buying an electrics. All Im saying is .. .do more research and spend your money wisely. A 30 size nitro is much easier to learn on .. although much more expensive to start with.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
thecheatscalc

but if you go nitro you'll NEVER go electric because nitro's stability doesn't require reflexes like an electric micro. once you get good with a then go gas, you'll probably never crash it, as you'll be able to react to every thing in more than plenty of time saving you $$$

but please don't let us make you decide against anything, just do your research and be prepared for the worst.

PS: and if you don't like helis then you're not out THAT much
Old 09-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Kiltz

Thanks guys! Really fast replies. Its not that I don't want a gas powered, I just don't think I'm ready for gas, I really want to try a electirc, since in Planes, I liked my electric one better than a friends gas, but if gas is better, than gas it is! As long as its affordable
Old 09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

There are electric options in the mid-size range, but they'll cost you more than $300.
Some to consider if you want a bigger electric (Mikado logo 10/20, E-voyager, Ikarus eco-8/16, e-raptor, joker)

But most of those will run you all up $1000 and more if you have to buy stuff like the transmitter and other stuff. Some, like the e-raptor and joker, would probably run you several thousand as the powerplants for them are incredibly expensive.

Even a t-rex or X400 would be a good choice in terms of larger micros, but again, you're not going to get a decent setup at $300, especially not with a transmitter. The best you're going to do in the $300 range is the e-flight blade, or you can try your luck with the cheaper walkera brands of helicopters, like the Z400 or #39 t-rex clone. Be warned though that their quality control is nearly non-existant, and the helicopters usually need alot of work to get them into a flyable state. Good project if you like to tinker with stuff though.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:03 PM
X1705

Hi, little close to topic here, . . . Has anyone ever purchased from 'rc-experts.com"? I am looking at this bird in particular:
http://www.rc-expert.com/product-package.php?pid=204

Please and thank you for your replies. [&o]
Old 09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

It's a good package but note CF print blades-blades printed to LOOK like CF but made of plastic.Also $45.00 shipping charges-A lot of dealers lower the price but make it up in shipping charges.Even dealers who ship from U.S. want $30.00-$40.00 shipping even though shipping from U.S. is considerably less than China.I noticed Ebay now has shipping charges posted next to price so people can see the ripoff!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 AM
4RCHELICOPTERSPAIN

You can get heli for cheaper price from [link=http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=DRAFL22E]this shop[/link]
>> try the aluminum parts as they seems very nice.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 AM
X1705

Thanks for the reply, 4RCHELICOPTERSPAIN, although that seems a good price as well, I am getting 2 extras blades, a tail-motor, and 1 Li-poly 1300mAh, and 1 Lith 1800mAh rechargable batteries, and also a Training ket (usually 5-15$). when you add those xtras in, it is stil a pretty good deal, as I am paying no more than what is advertised. 139.99+35/sh (and $3 insurance At any rate, I would deinatley think about that bird above as well if I was still looking though. Thanks for the reply. Oh, hay, if anyone is looking for info on the 22E, I have found the on-line manual http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/index.php (you need to register, with username/pass), but there seems to be a good amount of info for a lot of Birds. I have only heard about one 'negative' thing on this 22E, lose blades, and tail-motors, (and thats pretty common for a beginner), the good thing noted has been it is said to be a very stable bird. Looking forward to learning more!

X1705
Old 09-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Pahtcub

I started with a HB CP micro to learn from scratch, then got a HB 3D Pro, and now got a raptor, I love the 3D Pro cause I will try anything on it and not get as scared of crashing cause even if I do it's only like $50 to fix, so thought the raptor is MUCH more stable, I still enjoy flying the 3D Pro more, since I can do more with it, plus it doesn't need expensive nitro.

Pat
Old 09-15-2005, 09:24 PM
X1705

Yeah I hear ya. Funny, I am already looking at what I would 'presumably' upgrade to as my next RC-Heli. I am looking at the possibilities, because I know this thing wont last forever, But with a few minor 'upgrades' on itself (the 22e), maybe main motor, brushless, aluminium, who knows. . I know that my next one would definatley be falling in the $500 dollor or more range..I dont think I will be too interested in going the full way and getting Nitro or any Fule based, but you never know, plus, I havent even flown my first one yet so. . . hehe

Gaining knowledge from the forums(here and everywhere), and flying my own, maybe visiting the local hobby shop more often or seeing if there is a local RC CLub nearby, I should definatley be more intuned as to what to expect, and what to look for, first hand.

Although these Forums (and they are truly the only resonable way to get 'pre-flight' information if you dont have a local rc-club), are priceless. Even if you get a wrong order, or one that dosent meet your expectations, nobody can decide that for you, and no better place to learn than a place that you can also share.

Well, my bird was shipped off yesterday. . (noteing "-14 days' and counting. hehe), I dont know exactlyk, but I am pretty sure I will be able to ease into the lift off on up to actual flight with this thing, I have the Mac Version of RC Flight Sim 1.8, (really nice), but I need a "USB control unit", and I will be visiting mylocal hobby shop each Monday for a Few hours. . I should be at least 'familiar', if not comfortable with basic flight by the time it arrives.

Thanks much to everyone who posted on here, both the good and the 'bad', very helpful.

X1705