Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Very Newbie Question ( Never Flown Heli Before)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Very Newbie Question ( Never Flown Heli Before)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:03 PM
o0Synner0o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Newbie Question ( Never Flown Heli Before)

Hello All,

Wanted to post my first post as a new member to RC Universe. I've always said that I would never get into RC Aviation and would be perfectly happy kicking the dirt up with my trucks ( Saw the look of dispair on my fathers face as a child when his months of hard work would hit the ground a terminal velocity till he learned to fly ) But I've also said that if I ever found one particular aircraft that I would force myself to learn to fly Heli's, Well that day has now presented itself to me as I found that Hirobo makes a CH-47 Chinook kit. I am Ex-Army as a CHinook crew chief and love the bird to death and now want it. So I come to the question I set out to ask to begin with. Has anyone heard, Seen or read anything on this kit? Or does anyone out there have first hand knowledge with the kit to give some insight into it. I plan on getting the Sim software from the company before hand to learn to fly it before it ever actually gets it's first tank of fuel but I want to know if the kit itself is worth the price tag on it. I am including the retailer and manufacturer links so you guys can have a look at it. Thanks for your help in advance as I am returning to Iraq this month for a year and plan on buying the kit to build while I am there and the software to learn so I have something to cool to spend my down time on.

Sincerely,
Syn

Retailer:
http://www.modelrectifier.com/produc...category=Scale
Manufacturer:
http://model2.hirobo.co.jp/english/index.html
Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Very Newbie Question ( Never Flown Heli Before)

Sweeeet! But that might not be the best "first" heli, if you know what I mean. You would probably be better off learning to fly on a less expensive heli. Just one mans opinion.

Jim C.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 AM
o0Synner0o

Yes sir, I have thought of that as well however. Not so sure I would want to fly any others, But it does make sense which is why I want to really get a good SIM software and the retailer is advertising they will add the Hirobo aircraft to at least a downloadable file to add to software. Just iffy about the price tag for the fact I am a newbie and don't want to re-buy the kit when I plant it in the dirt the hard way hehehe. Have looked at a raptor .60 I think it is. Looks like a nice heli as well, but again I really would love the chinook.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Charlie

Trust me Bud, that is "NOT" a good beginner heli. The crash cost would scare you away from ever wanting to fly helis. Crashing is part of learning to fly helis, everyone does, and a couple of crashes with that would turn you off the heli hobby forever (even if you have deep pockets). I have played with them on the sim and they can be a nightmare to fly, especially if you have no experience.
I would suggest getting yourself a 30/50 size heli and learn to fly that first, the crash cost wouldn't be 1/4 of the cost of crashing that Chinook.

Learning to fly helis takes a "LOT" of practice and a lot of hand eye coordination. A lot of people get the wrong impression about helis, they think they can just buy one and step off their back porch and start flying, that is a "LONG" way from the truth, everyone wishes it was that easy, but it's not. Definitely get yourself a simulator and see if helis are for you, if you find you don't like it, you can always sell the sim.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I agree with the above, this would be a very ambitious project for even a serious helicopter flyer.

Buying and building are one thing, and you may want to do that while you buy a pod and boom to learn on but setup and flying are a different animal all together and almost nobody learns to fly on a scale ship. The mechanics arent accessable, maintence is difficult and flying characteristics are different.

Check out http://www.scalerchelis.com if your thinking of getting into scale.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:56 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Syn,
Has anybody mentioned that this is not a good place to start? ;-)
If I had that model as a long term goal, I would take these steps.

1. Buy a good simulator. Realflight G2, Realflight G3 and Reflex XTR top my list of sims. Put in hours of low, slow practice. Tail in, nose in, side in. Figure 8's below the horizon. Spot landings.
2. Buy an apropriate beginner heli. Could be nitro or electric, depending on how easy it is for you to get to a club field to fly nitro. Learn to fly an actual model (much different that flying on a sim). Learn about troubleshooting heli mechanics. Learn about setup issues. Learn about repair.
3. Evaluate your long term goals. Now that you have spent time working on and flying real models, is the $2500 model still for you?

I am not trying to argue you out of your dream. Mostly, I want to help you set a realistic path to getting there.
Vince
Old 09-09-2005, 08:41 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I completely agree with Vince's advice... get a simulator first, and try to fly regular nitro pod & boom helis in in the sim. Like Charlie said... after a few hours of trying to hover in the sim, you'll get a very clear idea of what your in for... it's more challenging than you'd ever imagine. After that, I'm sure you'll realize you're best off getting a .30 -.50 sized pod & boom heli (Raptor, Venture, etc.) first to learn on, beat on, and get very comfortable flying, before you attempt to fly a $$$$$ dual rotor, scale heli.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:48 PM
o0Synner0o

I would just like to thank all of you gentlemen. I am planning on buying a sim cuz as you all stated the crash cost of this beast would be depressing at best. I am looking to the reflex XTR as it is put out by the distributor of the Hirobo scale model chinook. They say they will incorporate all of the models hirobo makes as well. It also already has .90 raptor on it without add ons. Charlie: What sim is that picture from? I do believe I have decided to buy a regular Heli to learn on and the sim for major practice. I am just looking to occupy a years time sitting in the desert and what better way to spend the time then learning to fly hehehe. I am also taking my T-maxx since it's the worlds largest RC off road course in the first place hehehe. Again thank you all for your input. I am lurking in the shadows soaking up what info I can so that I might one day own that chinook and actually fly it.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:29 AM
Charlie

That picture is the Raptor 90 and the Reflex sim.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM
o0Synner0o

ORIGINAL: Charlie

That picture is the Raptor 90 and the Reflex sim.
K Now I'm totally confused as the picture looks like a chinook flying and nto a raptor. Is that a software setting to change the look? Take it easy and thanks again for the info.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Charlie

lol
Sorry about that, I posted in the wrong forum. I was on another forum and a guy was asking what heli was in the picture (I guess I have to many pages open). Here is the 90.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:14 AM
o0Synner0o

k so the chinook is from Reflex XTR. Where can I get the aircraft at? Or is that a personal one you have made?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Charlie

You can download it here, there are all kind of downloads, just become a member (it's free) and you can download all you want.

[link=http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine_eng/index.php?PHPSESSID=]RC-Sim[/link]
Old 09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
o0Synner0o

Thanks very much Charlie. I do so very appreciate the insite. I look forward to talking with you gents in the future. My final plan is to buy Reflex XTR and get a raptor for while I am over seas and then I will come back if I'm not a complete failuer at the RC Heli thing and spend the cash on the chinook after I can do more then ust hover around the yard hehehe. You guys take care and I look forward to more posts in the future.