Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Buying a Heli - TREX vs. Zoom 400

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Buying a Heli - TREX vs. Zoom 400

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Elmo6s
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Heli - TREX vs. Zoom 400

I'm a complete newb and am thinking about getting into helis. I currently am considered an expert in all things R/C Car/Truck related (building, racing, jumping, etc.). I'm wondering which Heli to get and I saw both the Trex and the Zoom 400... The 400 looks to be a bit cheaper from what I can see, but I know from experience you get what you pay for, so I'll just buy it piece by piece and get really high quality stuff. Which do you think would be better? Also, can you recommend a good setup for whichever one you like (be reasonable for a newb, under $400-500 if possible...)
Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM
thecheatscalc

Default RE: Buying a Heli - TREX vs. Zoom 400

the best value under $300 is probably the 36... you can get them pretty cheap (220 +/- ) or a blade cp (under 275) those are your best bet. then comes the zoom, gear (under 500) shogun v2, belt driven (under 650), TRex belt (under 750)

there's the list. I'd say it's a tie for the blade and the 36

PS: that's in order of least recomended to most.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Elmo6s

Hmmm - Think I'm gonna go for the Trex or Zoom - again, is it worth the money to go for the Trex (I'm pretty sure, just checking)....
Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Elmo6s

Ok here's the real question - X400 vs Trex 450XL CDE....
Old 09-16-2005, 04:12 PM
thecheatscalc

go for the x400 it's a clone of the TRex and most part's are interchangeable. Although a clone and the price is lower it's built nearly the same so quality just isn't an issue. good luck!

PS: use grandrc.com they have CHEAP parts for those and the zoom heli's as well as fast shipping (I got my blades in 2 DAYS, really 3 as I ordered early in the morning but... doesn't matter) also my shipping cost was just 4 bucks for my 2sets of blades and 1 set of main blades (came in a rather large box) they're also located in the us but ship world wide.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Elmo6s

Talked to the guys at grandrc.com - they like the Trex better, so going with that... Seem like great guys over there - so I'm going to buy from them...
Old 09-17-2005, 11:18 AM
thecheatscalc

good for you! they have great quality stuff for your heli. and as I mentioned the shipping is really fast and won't make you wait a week or two for them to ship it from china. I also suggest ordering at 6-7 in the morning as they ship orders at 9:00 AM (that's what the paper said on mine) good luck on your heli. and when you order (if you haven't already) make sur you get a set or two of abs and a a set of woodies + a set or two of the 2.40 cent tail blade (it looks like only one but it's really a set) and maybe for show you could get one of those yellow/black align blades