Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Entering into Heli's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:25 AM
o0Synner0o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entering into Heli's

Howdy folks,

I'm having a bit of a time here. I am looking to purchase my first Heli and am completely lost. I want to get into a raptor .90 as I read that the larger the medel the easier it is to learn on but what I am not seeing here that is so confusing is the pacakges. Can some one make me a list of what I need to get into a raptor for one and I am wanting to learn and then move into 3D if I stick with Heli's without having to spend another arm and leg to get the Heli converted so basically buy it all now and not worry about it later. I know I need a Raptor kit to begin with as well as a TX but what else? I read all these things about Gyro's and servos and stuff. Can someone give me a no BS list of what I would need to get into a Raptor .90 or at least a link to some place that has a really good package deal for all that would be needed. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Entering into Heli's

Starting out with a Raptor 90 is not the way to go (unless you have very deep pockets). The Raptor 90 is "NOT" a beginner heli, they are expensive to buy and "very" expensive to fix.

I would suggest starting out with a 50 size heli (they are a good beginner heli), when you talking power to weight ratio, the 50 size heli has just as much power as the 90 (if not more), and they are a lot cheaper to fix when you crash (and you will crash, everyone does).

To get a nitro heli in the air, your going to need the heli, motor (if it doesn't come with the heli), radio, gyro/servo, field equipment and fuel. Servos, receiver and battery comes with the radio When you buy it, and Thunder Tiger sells a combo field package if you want to go that way, or you can buy it all separate.

This should get you in the air.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51835.gif
Views:	8
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	323607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28216.gif
Views:	8
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	323608   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26110.gif
Views:	6
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	323609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98760.gif
Views:	11
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	323610  
Old 09-13-2005, 07:35 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

http://www.heliproz.com

They sell combo kits and will spend hours on the phone with you telling you what you need based on your budget. Eric is a great guy to deal with and they have some of the best Raptor prices in the country.

I agree with Charlie, a R90 is fairly advanced, you'd be better off starting with a 50 unless money is no object.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:16 AM
o0Synner0o

All Right boys and girls,

I stepped off into the beginnings of this long road to haul I see. I bought Real Flight G3 this week and have been working on hovering. I am so dang glad I have never bought a real heli yet as I would have spent numerous amounts of money and been super ticked off. Is there any where I can get recordings to help me learn to fly a heli? I've got the virtual tutors that the software gives but way to advanced for me as of yet. I am wanting to just get the basics of flight down. I can hover pretty good so far. Not perfect but still pretty good. I'll quit babbeling now. Just kinda confused on this.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

You will find that the best money you spent on helicopters.

If you can hover just nudge the nose forward and start flying around. You will get the hang of it.

On the G3 try the Sundog, some of them are very sensitive, that one is fairly tame and represents a 50 powered ship fairly well.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Sawdust48.5

Keep working on the hover. From basic hover move into a piroette hover. Like the other gentleman said try basic flight maneuvers. Slide left, stop hover, right stop forward stop hover. another words take baby steps. Keep the heli no more than about a foot off the ground.
Get good at hovering rfg3 then hover your heli. USE TRAINING GEAR!!! Everytime you get comfy with a maneuver on RF try it with your heli.
One piece of advice about buying a raptor kit, tell the salesman you don't want a tt engine. These engines can be and frequently are a
P.I.T.A. if you get a Raptor 50 get an os46 engine. If raptor 30 get the os37. OS engines are sweet. Once they are broke in they require little to no carb adj.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:16 AM
latavish

Hi Guys,

I'm a complete newbie to heli's. I'm currently seeking to buy RF SimG3 to get some training in. I'm also a newbie to this great community and I see I will be here alot asking TONS of questions in the near furture. I too was thinking about getting a Raptor 90 because I was also told that the bigger the model the easier it is to learn. But since i'm on a budget and from the comments on this forum, I think I will get a Raptor 50 to start out with. Even though I will first be training on the RF SimG3 would it be smart to also go ahead and buy some replacment parts for the Raptor 50 if (or when) I do happen to crash? What replacment parts would you guys recommend buying?

Latavish

P.S. Also I can remember seeing some years back, someone was newbie learning how to fly heli's but instead of having skids on the bottom of his heli he has some type of balls or something just in cause he has a hard landing or whatever. What are these traning wheels and they still being used?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 AM
BarracudaHockey

You can make training gear out of a hula hoop and some hard wood dowels.

As for parts, get a spindle, flybar, boom, blades, hoops and double links. They are the most common crash parts and maybe a main shaft. Most places like heliproz sell crash kits that package the common crash parts in one box.