Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

fixed pitch newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:12 AM
cyphonus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed pitch newbie

Basically Im looking to buy a fixed pitch heli. The main 2 reasons for this are they seem easier to initially setup and are alot cheaper than their cp brothers.
What Im looking for is something that can move fast, strafe from left to right, hover, maybe do a few loops when i get up to that standard and above all must be pretty tough when I crash it. Basically if anyones ever played the computergame Battlefield 2 and can fly the apache half decently.... thats what I want to be able to do

This is what Im considering getting... the Hornet XP FP full package
[link=http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2emodelhelico pters%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fm_index%2ehtm&WD=hornet&SHOP=%20&PN=HeliKits_Electric%2ehtml%23a1_219059#a1_219059]Hornet XP FP full package[/link]

So, what cant a FP do that a CP can, other than fly upside down? Keep in mind that I dont think I will be doing aerobatics for a very long time!

Any info regarding this heli or alternatives would be greatly appreciated, as would any feedback regarding the shop (midland helicopters ltd. UK)
Old 09-18-2005, 11:00 AM
cyphonus

Default RE: fixed pitch newbie

basically if a fixed pich heli can do what this zoom can do in the first half of the video, thats all I want from a heli at this point!

[link=http://www.helihobby.com/videos/Nurenberg_Zoom400.wmv]zoom 400[/link]
Old 09-18-2005, 03:06 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Haha, a fixed pitch helicopter flies NOTHING like the heli's in BF2. I'm quite the helicopter pilot in BF2, but micros are not even close. Take the BF2 helicopter and amplify the movement sensitivity by 1000% and you'll understand what it's like to control a micro

Seriously, they aren't THAT hard to fly, but they do require alot of practice.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:56 AM
Charlie

Another note: Fixed pitch helis don't fly anything like a collective pitch heli does. Fixed pitch helis fly buy the speed of the rotor head, which make it a lot harder to fly. When you loose rotor speed the heli is a lot harder to control which makes it harder to fly. With a collective pitch heli your rotor speed will always stays the same (or it should) and it flies by changing the pitch of the rotor blades. When your rotor speed always stays the same it make the heli a lot easier to control. There is a little more to a collective pitch heli, but that is the basics between a FP and a CP heli, that's why a lot of people prefer a CP heli over a FP heli (they find them a lot easier to fly).

I would really recommend getting a CP heli, you will find that you will out grow a FP heli pretty fast, especially if you find that you really like flying helis.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:05 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cyphonus

basically if a fixed pich heli can do what this zoom can do in the first half of the video, thats all I want from a heli at this point!

[link=http://www.helihobby.com/videos/Nurenberg_Zoom400.wmv]zoom 400[/link]
Then just buy the Zoom...

A FP heli can do most of what you see in the first two minutes of that video, after that you're seeing inverted flight & 3D... you need CP for that...

IMO... the Blade CP is the bottom-end heli to consider starting out with... forget FP helis. The Shogun/Zoom or T-Rex would be better... and an even larger CP heli, like the .30 -.50 sized nitros would be the best. The larger they are the easier they are to fly... get the largest CP heli you can afford (up to .30 -.50 size... larger than that is overkill if you're just starting out) and get yourself a good heading hold gyro, and you'll have a much easier time learning to fly a heli.

I learned on a Raptor 50V2, and tried the Shogun/Zoom and Blade CP later... I have no doubts that starting with bigger is better!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:53 PM
thecheatscalc

but bigger is more expensive and, if you learn the hard route you learn faster, getting better responses, making you fly better if you want to get a bigger heli.

PLEASE get a 3d heli PLEASE trust me it's worth it. plus you can fly in FP mode (normal) so you get the best of both worlds. trust me if you really want an FP get the a 3D as when you grow out of FP you can flip a switch and use the 3D. ok? the best heli for you woud be one that has a belt driven tail.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:53 PM
cyphonus

well... gone the total opposite direction of what I thought I was gonna do. Managed to get a Hirobo shuttle off ebay with the full kit for £170! I just couldnt resist!
So here I am, sitting waiting for it to be delivered... cant wait