Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking for Good Heli Simulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Looking for Good Heli Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
latavish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Good Heli Simulator

Hi Fellow Heli Lovers,

I'm brand new to RC Universe and a complete newbie to R/C heli's. Since i'm new to heli's I kind of want to put myself thru some type of PRE training so I wanted to know if anyone could direct me to a good Heli simulator so when I do start training on the REAL R/C heli I will not be a complete virgin to flying R/C heli's.

Thanks,

Latavish
Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Good Heli Simulator

Realflight G3 if your pc will run it, G2 or Reflex are good as well.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:06 PM
jaymoore31

Has anyone gotten the TX that comes with the Bladecp with a simulator. Ive tried many with no luck....im using the special usb cable for it.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 AM
latavish

Thanks barracudahockey,

I will check into those sims. But do you think its a good idea to start out with a sim just to get a feel flying R/C helis? In the long run, i'm really not trying to be a sport flyer. I want to be a scale flyer.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

IMO the money you save in blades, fly bars and tail booms will pay for the sim.

I would say its just as or more important with a scale ship since the cost of repair is that much higher.

You will learn hovering, nose in, different orientations etc. And its fun.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:25 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jaymoore31
Has anyone gotten the TX that comes with the Bladecp with a simulator. Ive tried many with no luck....
The problem with Blade CP transmitter is that it always generates CCPM mixed signal, which can't be used by any existing simulator.
The only way I know how to use this TX for simulator control is with the help of CCPM interface from MileHighWings.com. This interfaces "um-mixes" the signal and send the stick deflection to a simulator. Neither RealFlight G3 nor Reflex XTR work with this 3rd-party interface...

Fortunately, AeroFly Pro Deluxe supports secondary interfaces, so, it can be used with Blade CP transmitter and MileHighWings CCPM USB interface.. There's also a great inexpensive helicopter simulator ClearView from www.rcflightsim.com, which works even with a cheap Serial PIC interface for Blade CP (not a regular serial interface, but a special CCPM "un-mixin" interface). ClearView is $30 and Serial PIC interface for Blade CP is $25.

Boris
Old 09-20-2005, 05:59 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: latavish
do you think its a good idea to start out with a sim just to get a feel flying R/C helis?
YES!!!!!!!!!!

This is SO valuable! You get the vast majority of orientation problems out of the way on the sim, where crashes are free! You get your brain trained to talk to your thumbs* without concious thought, leaving you to focus on what the heli is doing.

Get a sim!

* or thumbs and fingers if you use the pincher method of stick holding.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:48 AM
X1705

hey, this may seem late, but its an 'everlasting' forum. I recently received this info from "Aleksanders at MileHighWings.com" when I was looking for more informnation on getting my Dragonfly22E(6ch.) Transmitter to work on a Macintosh with one of there not only "Serial for 6ch./22E(and others)", but also there Serial-to-USB adapter, now I 'paid' the price for this one, so I hope many people can find this helpful. btw- It all started whe I read a post or two from "bluesky123"(and this was over 2 years ago) at ;

http://www.wcwcw.com/discus/messages...tml?1125402029

I found that site/forum when looking into informatiion on useing a Mac/OS_X version called "RC Helicopter Simulator1.8", by "AlphamacSoftware.com", I have been using it for a couple weeks, with keyboard, and it works Great, demo version works with just two choices of heli's (hughes, or Raptor), and after 15minutes of use, it times out with request to purchase. ($38USD), I liked it a lot, nonetheless, here is where I pretty much called it a day, for now. **mind you, this *mainly* only applies to Walkera/Dragonfly Ch.6 Transmitters w/CCPM.

Here's the scoop: Collective Pitch helies need CCPM (Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing), which can be implemented in several different ways:
- mechanical mixing by means of interconnected control rods/arms in the heli itself
- electronic mixing (used by all Chinese micro helies including Walkera CP models), which can be implemented in the transmitter or with the help of a special mixing board on the receiver side.

Transmitter mixing is most popular because it doesn't require any additional electronics mounted in the heli. "Serious" computer transmitters by major radio manufacturers allow the CCPM to be enabled for flying or disabled for using the TX with a simulator. Unfortunately, one family of Chinese transmitters sold under the names of E-flite, ESky, and Twister (may be some other names too) implements CCPM in the transmitter and doesn't allow this mixing to be disabled. As a result, such transmitters can't be used with regular TX-to-Computer interfaces as their signal would be mixed and unsuitable for any simulator. For these E-flite/ESky transmitters we developed out CCPM umnixing interfaces, described in your quotes.

You, from the other hand, have Walkera transmitter, which doesn't offer CCPM mixing (never mind the text next to the DIP switches on the back of the TX--most of these switches do nothing!). Instead, Walkera CP helies carry a special mixing board, which performs channel mixing. Therefore, Walkera transmitters would need a regular TX-to-computer interface. Unfortunately, the shape of PPM signal produced by Walkera transmitters is rather, let's say, unusial (not to say awful) and most of the interfaces have trouble deciphering Walkera signal. Our Serial PIC interface manages to process Walkera PPM frame successfully, while our USB interface fails to reliably interpret the first channel. We are working on this and hope to have USB interface for Walkera in the future. Unfortunately, our R&D folks are loaded with other projects, so, Walkera implementation is on a backburner and we have no time estimate when it'll be done.

Thanks to Aleksanders and bluesky123 for there awseom support of this hobby! please check out there website "http"//milehighwings.com", great custom mods, and prices..cables.

Cheers,
X1705

Old 12-29-2005, 03:23 PM
robl45

Which sim do people thing is the best? I used a sim about 5-10 years ago that was a CSM sim. I don't know if they even make that now. Is the Reflex or Realfight best or what? Also, do these sims have the shuttle zx helicopter? The CSM has the exact helicopters that you fly on the field with. And finally, is there anywhere that has real world setup info for these new sims? I know with the CSM that you had to increase the landing specs or it was much to easy to land the chopper.

Thanks

Rob
Old 12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
gforeman

Realflight G3 if you don't have a radio, Rerlex if you have a supported controller.

I didn't have a controller and got G3, I'm quite happy with it. I now have a Futaba 9CHP, and I may get reflex sometime.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:44 PM
robl45

I have an old JR radio. So I guess I should go for Reflex if it will work then? What do you guys think of getting one of those micro copters like the blade that are 220 bucks for everything. Wouldn't it make a good simulator? The parts are real cheap and you know you won't get sucked into just being good on the computer?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
squawk1200

YES GET A SIM FIRST!!!

Today was the first day I flew my new Raptor 30 and after about 45 minutes I could hold a hover, nose in hover, side hover ...ahhh you get the point. This was the first time I had ever flown a heli and I owe it all to G3. It won't only keep you from wreaking less often, it happens, it will also make you safer pilot. Safety is important with helis because of the 49 something inch razor blade spinning over 1500rpm. One wrong command can send a heli to the ground really quick. Sims will teach you to think fast giving the heli commands without having to think about it. I would recommend everyone learn to fly them first with a sim before trying the real thing. G3 was the best money I ever spent.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 PM
swatr6

I HAVE THE BLADE CP AND I GOT THE REFLEX XTR SIM AND I JUST PAID THE XTRA $40 FOR THE TRANSMITTER. IM NOT FLYING THE BLADE IN THE SIM ITSELF BUT IT HAS HELPED ME. I GOT PRETTY GOOD AT THE SIM IN ONLY A FEW HOURS.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM
cvnhank

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know of a sims program for Mac. Thanks, Hank
Old 01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
spv1425

Hank,
Re-read x1705's post above. The sim can be found at alphamacsoftware.com that runs on OS/X. The simulator software is free do demo and costs just $37. You need a special usb adapter from milehigh to use your actual blade cp controller with it, costs around $50 w/shipping. Check it out, it's not bad. You can dowload new helis and scenery as well.

spv1425
Old 03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
dexon

I installed the MAC rc helicopter simulator and then purchased a $15 USB gamepad controller from Walmart. Works great. Not as many bells and whistles as the commercial simulators available for PC, but does the job wel enough for me. All the controls can be customized, which makes learning easier.