Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

"HELP" Getting "Re"-Started

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

"HELP" Getting "Re"-Started

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Craig Seay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "HELP" Getting "Re"-Started

After being away from helicopters for 21 years, I, along with my 12 year old son, have been drawn to the add for the $160 Hawk Sport. It looks like something we can afford. After looking at some of the comments concerning the Hawk and engines, I have decided that maybe the Hawk Sport with the OS 32 and the bearing upgrade (CNBB1001) would be a good choice. What I don't know about is gyros. When I flew before we didn't have gyros. (I learned on a Dubro Hughes 300 with O&R engine on glow in 1976, then transitioned to a Kavan Jet Ranger with a Webra Speed 61. I also flew a Dubro Shark with Supertigre 61 Bluehead, and then an American Revolution II with K&B 61. The last chopper I flew was the Schluter Heli-boy with OS 61, all using an EK Logictrol Super Seven radio converted by Calvin Wollitz.) We also didn't have autorotation capabilities. Anyway, how about the GR-703 HEADLOCK GYRO (USE FOR SLOW SERVO). I am not real familiar with the difference between the standard gyros and heading hold, but looks like heading hold would be more desirable. Looking at Heli-World the total would be around $380 for the chopper/engine/bearings/gyro. I am an old single stick flyer and was hoping to use my Ace MicroPro 8000 radio. I fly two stick also as does my son, but did not want to have to purchase a radio. Any thoughts out there? How about someone buying all my old Kavan stuff. lol
craig

PS: I am a new user here and have enjoyed the reading so far.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Scotty740

There is nothing wrong with your selection so far. I know nothing about that radio and am not sure that it would be sutable for helicopter use.

Is it a narrowband legal radio now?
Old 11-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Cougar-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default Craig Seay

Great Choices
smart move.
I also have the hawk (still in box)
and the Falcon.. also my old fathful Concept SR
Old 11-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Craig Seay

The MicroPro 8000 is a computer radio with only your imagination being the limit on mixing capabilities. Just never had to do any electonic mixing in a helicopter before. I also had the radio converted by Calvin Wollitz to use a Hitec FM RF deck and am using RCD FM receivers. So yes it is narrow band. I can fly two stick just fine in a plane but always flew single stick in choppers all those years ago. The main reason for using this radio is to keep from having to purchase a heli two stick. All my two sticks are fixed wing stuff without mixing capabilities. The main thing I was wondering about was the choice of gyro. Would this be a good one, or should I save a little more for another brand/model.

thanks y'all
craig
Old 11-04-2002, 01:18 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

The gyro I like for a decent price is the GY 240 by Futaba. For best results you would need the GY-401 + Servo S9253 combo.

703 are you referring to the HH gyro by Telebee? If so it is basically a kick off of a CSM HH gyro. Loci I believe is the trademark of Telebee Inc.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Craig Seay

Thanks for the help so far. Yes, the 703 is a Telebee. I did not know this to begin with as the add in Heli-World didn't have it listed as such, only the number I listed at the beginning of this thread. The difference in the 701 and the 703 (both by Telebee) is that the 701 requires a high speed servo and the 703 can use a standard one. They are both the same price in Heli-World ($85). They are the least expensive HH gyros I have seen, which I thought a HH that can be switched between HH and standard might be a good idea. I was trying to get back into choppers without too much expense. But am willing to save a little longer to get what would not only work better, but make the transition back into rotor wing flying a little easier.

thanks again for the HELP
craig