Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Blade CX or Tornado for a newbie?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Blade CX or Tornado for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 10:49 AM
FiveO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX or Tornado for a newbie?

Greetings, all.

I am looking to get a small heli for putting around the yard and cul-de-sac and really do not think I'll have an intrest in 3D or the like.

I just want a fun flying model to get a fix in with. I fly nitro fixed wing but can't get to the field as often as I'd like...

Sooooo, I have been eyeballing the Tornado and the Blade CX. They are at about the same price point.

Which would be easier to learn and enjoy?

Opinions? Input?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:06 AM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Blade CX or Tornado for a newbie?

heres my input-I started flying choppers with a Kyosho 30 in 1990-no sim-no istructer.on my own. I had a few hard landings but never crashed.I got up to a Kyosho 60 and as far as flying, scale type forward flight.Im not interested in aerobatics.I dropped out after 3 years.Got back in this year.Bought a sim,got my reactions back and then got a Blade cp-CRASH,CRASH,CRASH!-IN THE LIVING ROOM!!
So I dumped it and bought a used JR Venture 30 and flew it,no problem.I now have a Century scale 50 and a Raptor 60 with a scale fuse Again,.A few hard landings but still have never crashed.
Here's my opinion-Electrics are a pain in the ass-Get a used 30 NITRO and you'll be just fine.I live far from my club field too but theres a lot of factories near me with BIG parking lots and they dont work on the weekend
Old 11-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

The thing is if you can fly a fixed pitch you can fly anything but the same cannot be said for people that started with collective pitch I have many friends that can fly 3D like a champ but give them a small electric and they are like clumsy oafs with it and cannot even get it to hover.I started with small electrics and have gone to large electrics and 60 size nitros and have had no problem,the people that put down electrics are just pissed because they do not have what it takes to fly them,real skill and talent.The larger the bird the more weight thus the easier to fly the smaller the bird the less weight and so the more skill it takes to control it.I like flying the small birds because it keeps you on your toes and it teaches you how to use finesse and a soft touch on the controls.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:51 PM
HELI-JOKER

The gentleman asked for opinions and input.Thats what I gave him.You,on the other hand give insuts and think that only your way is the right way and anyone who doesnt do what you do is unskilled,untalented and an oaf.
I happen to be a licensed pilot so I have skills you'll probbably never know.
You should read the paragraph that is written in red ,just above these comment boxes,before you post your comments.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Moe3754
Banned

First off I am speaking about my Friends and NO ONE ELSE and as for the rest of the post I am speaking of people in GENERAL and not one specific person so if you have a problem with it then to bad but get the chip OFF your shoulder and take a rest.Also I could care LESS what you do because I was not even talking to or about you so take a hike son.Also my friends know that they cannot fly them and fess up to it and not try to do something that they cannot as I do not try to do 3D.[&:]
Old 11-19-2005, 03:09 PM
neweheliflyer

The Blade CX is the good helicopter for beginners (easier to fly than other helicopters). It is flying is very similar to this helicopter ([link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/zoom.php?id=14]flying movie[/link]), but not 100% the same. So you can take that as reference ONLY
Old 11-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I agree with neweheliflyer I have one on order but have a hirobo XRB that is just a kick in the pants to mess around with,forward flight leaves a little to be desired but it is fun.The BCX should be released by Thanksgiving or shortly after,if you cannot wait there is the E-sky lama 2 that is quite cheap and is as good as the XRB.I have one of those also,I have dumped all my expensive heli's except my Draganflyer V Ti Pro and have gone to the less expensive and cheap to fix coax heli's.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
HELI-JOKER

Moe,let me know if youre ever in Chicago,ok?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Moe3754
Banned

[&:]
Old 11-19-2005, 06:06 PM
rjm1982

not really a big fan of the coax helies...just dont look right to me...but what do i know right? im just another noob

I seen one on tv that was cool...it had just 1 rotor, and no tail rotor...but had two "rudders" that faced up into the blades, so the blades blew wind accross them and acted like the tail rotor...was wierd but cool looking...would like to get one as i advance...
Old 11-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I understand but I have never seen one like you described I have seen the air scoot but it is a coax heli that has tail fins,I really do not think that tail fins will cancel out the torque effect of the rotors like a tail rotor does but in coax heli's the two rotors cancel out the effect.Coax heli's in the US are few and far between but in Russia they are a big thing infact their new attack heli is a coax and is suppose to be faster and more maneuverable than the Apache.And as for being new there is nothing wrong with that we all started there at one time but do not be afraid to ask questions and take the answers with a grain of salt because sometimes they can be a little one sided but it is a fun hobby and you will enjoy it but just one thing I ask that you do not rule out coax heli's they can be a great learning tool and will help you a lot because they are so stable I have flew almost every kind of RC heli there is and I like my Hirobo XRB the most.It really brings back the basics of flying and the fun of it.Enjoy and take your time and learn it well.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: RoyLFlush

Moe,let me know if youre ever in Chicago,ok?
Lets keep it civil gentlemen or I will be forced to flex my "internet muscles"! [>:]
Old 11-19-2005, 10:10 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Oh no, it's the e-bully!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:08 PM
FiveO

Thanks for the replys and sorry for the controversy!

I really want it as a toy, not to do 3D, not to graduate to nitro or any of the such.

That said I think the CX may be what I'm looking for. Looks stable and the flight mode is less complex. Heck, at $190 if I hate it I am not out too much anyway...

ETA WOW that XRB is pricey! [X(]
Old 11-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Moe3754
Banned

Yes the XRB is quite a piece of change but it is the best so far if you want to go even cheaper you could do a search for the E-sky lama 2 there are some places selling it for around $95.00 but I cannot say where I just purchased it a couple of days ago but I paid around $125.00 for it.From what I have read it is just as good as the XRB I guess we will find out in a few days.Enjoy what ever you decide on it really is fun and you can learn a lot from them.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:28 PM
al_timiter
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought the E Flite Blade cx..opened the box quick charged the included lipo, flew the hell out of it ..no trim neccessary.solid as a rock..I was very pleased and impressed. i am getting 10-12 min flights on it and love the way it handles.. I have owned probably 8 or 9 heli's in the last 10 years, nitro and electric... Ergo's, 30 and 60 size , Kyosho, ...The Piccolo from Ikarus ,which cost way too much 4 years ago,400.00, flew like crap and was way too fragile .., .After owning 2 Piccolo's one fixed pitch and one collective pitch and having nothing but problems I lost interest in micro electric heli's..I was on RCU yesterday and saw the E flite BCX ..Went to a local hobby shop today and got me one..I reccommend this heli to a newbie or a seasoned pilot like myself ..I love to fly it throughout my house, litterally thru doorways up stairs out on the deck, in full control at all times...could not do this with the Piccollo's or the Aerohawk electrics.
Thanx E Flite you got it right. so far so good i hope it holds up..i am going to put heat sinks on the motors, a couple more li po packs and that 's it...go flyin
Old 12-15-2005, 06:08 PM
FiveO

I got the CX and I love it!

I have never flown a RC Copter in my life and had this thing hovering in seconds. I'm up to nice, slow figure eights now and am just pleased as punch.

I wish the flight times were longer but that just means I have to buy more batteries!

Great helicopter!