Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

It's suddenly got very expensive...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

It's suddenly got very expensive...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 05:19 AM
extravert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's suddenly got very expensive...

This heli bug I've got. It started out not too bad. Got a Lama. Broke a few bits. Got ripped off buying spares, but nothing too bad. A few pounds for a few bits of plastic. Then got a Honey Bee CP. Broke lots more bits, more spares, but now I can fly it pretty well without damaging too much.

And the next step? I'm now well on my way learning to fly a real one and obtaining a Private Pilot's Licence for helicopters. Lessons in a tiny 2-seater Robinson R22 come in at about £250 an hour, with landing fees. Ouch! Only another 40 hours to go.

Makes the models seem cheap. Who got me started in all this?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: It's suddenly got very expensive...

Great! Now you'll just need several thousand for a small private heli . The news just keeps getting better and better..

Way to go on the private liscence, it's an idea i've tinkered with aswell, of course, with the way I fly my models, not sure it's a great idea if I got behind the sticks of a real one.. [X(]
Old 02-01-2006, 06:35 AM
NG92832

Rock on, EXTRAVERT,

I'm so new at RC Helos that I'm proud to be called a "LAMER" in your presence.

Good luck on the real deal,
Tim
Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Butuz

Wow thats great but i am having trouble afforing RC heli's never mind a real one. Its one of my life long ambitions to learn to fly a real chopper though - i am hoping to make it come true by the time i am 40 (that gives me 15 years hehe).

Where are you in the UK? You can come to sunny south wales and take me for a joyride when you get your licenese

Butuz
Old 02-02-2006, 09:37 AM
extravert

I'm learning at the NOT sunny (well not at the moment) Hawarden airport, in North Wales. Well that's my intention. Trouble is the weather has been so murky the last week that lessons get cancelled []. Wish this high pressure would go away, fed up with grey and haze.

Back to the models. Fog not affecting them yet.

The R22 is not much bigger than my Honey Bee!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50323.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	400403  
Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 AM
extravert

Er, I don't want to give the impression that I'm anything other than a Lamer at flying the real ones. I'm still a relative newby, long way to go to a license yet. My low level hovering is at about the level I was at the end of the first week with my Honey Bee, i.e. all over the place.

I guess Hawarden airport are used to learners struggling with their hover taxying, but my attempts must look like a drunk and disorientated helicopter staggering its way from the apron to the runway, sometimes going forward, but mostly weaving and slithering its way in various degrees of sideways, with lots of bobbing up and down thrown in.

I think I need some space hoppers attached to the end of some lamp posts tied to my landing skids.