Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

getting started and need some help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

getting started and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:17 PM
itsachris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting started and need some help

So I am a CFI rotorcraft Pilot 1000+hr and I am looking in to getting a Small R/C helicopter and not spend a lot of money. u know backyard small park type. but i need some help BC i dont under stand anything. i have read some of the how to get started but they dont seam to fit what i am looking for. right now i am looking at a Hornet XCP Micro Kit or the X3D or any thing else you might think up. now my real question how do i know what kind of remote to get? and if i go with the X3d what Motor should i get?
thanks for the help
chris
Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: getting started and need some help

Just a word to the wise.

All the flight time in the world isn't going to help you much flying RC. There's no seat of the pants feel and the visual references are completely different.

Your knowlege in how controls work and interact will however be invaluable.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:24 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chris,
You want to know how to get started? That is easy! By reading more on these forums!
There is a great article on how to get started with electric helis. It is called the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439631]Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide (EHBG)[/link]
Take a while and read through that. Twice.

As far as transmitters go, the rule of thumb is to get all you can afford. I chose the Futaba 9CH which is available in a transmitter only package for a decent price from [link=http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/]Bruckner Hobbies[/link] and [link=http://www.servocity.com/]Servo City[/link]. JR also makes some fantastic heli transmitters.

Oh, has anyone mentioned that real helicopter experience counts for nothing when it comes to flying RC helicopters? ;-) Consider getting a flight sim. This GREATLY reduces the frustration and cost of learning to fly a model helicopter. I like Realflight G2 or G3, and Reflec XTR is great.

I am curious. Why the hornet?

Vince
Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think a hornet is a good heli to start with. it's a bit small, fragile, and probably way too powerful (with 'recommended' equipment) for your skill level. a tail boom costs like $25 and i heard it has enough power to snap itself in half if you get on the collective/throtle stick too hard.

you want to start with the biggest heli possible for stability. that being said, bigger heli are typically much more expensive and that is Especially true with electric heli.

the align Trex 450XL or ARK x400 are excellent 1st heli in the micro-mini class and also the largest. Actual kit cost is similar or cheaper than a hornet, repair costs are probably one of the lowest for a CP heli, theyre proven over and over, and use the same servos, radio, and receiver as the hornet. the only area you will pay more for are the ESC/BEC*.

to buy the good stuff to start, is to save yourself money in the Longrun - if you ever do make it past the first hoops you will replace it all with this stuff anyway.

Tx/Rx - Futaba 7CHP TX + R146iP, JR 6102 Tx + R770S, or Spectrum DX6 (s75 servos are almost useless IMO) [200-250 retail]

servos - 4x hitec HS56 or 65. these arent cheap, but i personally dont trust the standard nylon gears anymore. [20-25 retail]

Battery - Apex 2200 15C MK3 lipo [50 retail] really good cheap lipo for half the price of a thunderpower. if the 3d pros run these itll work for me.

ESC - Align 25/35 + governor, phoenix 25/35, kontronik*bling [50-170]

Motor - AON3500, Astro803, Neu1105/7, Align430, JGF450th/F, etc [<90]

Gyro - Futaba Gy240/401 [120ish retail]