Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Help, buying my -second- Heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Help, buying my -second- Heli

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:10 PM
JasonSK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, buying my -second- Heli

So, I figured I knew what I was doing and bought a Dragonfly #35 cause it was a good deal.

LMao, ya, after 2 weeks of messing with it, I have managed to get it to fly rotor first into a wall.

The thing is junk, it came with the blades on BACKWARDS... and tilted the WRONG way, so every time you tryed to lift off it would try to push itself back into the ground.

I managed to fix most of the problems, but its a lost cause, its already stripped two of the gears that run the rear rotor, and it does not matter how loose to tight I make them.

After many hours of work I managed to get it to SORT OF lift off.. AT MAX POWER!! Anda ll it did was flip 180 and fly right into a wall with 0 control input.

Junk.... Well, I can repair it almost no real damage, but still, I dont see it as worth putting mroe money into.

So I am looking for my second.

I want to buy this tiem from a reputable dealer that supports their products and has addons for it.

After some searching I found this sit and this helo.

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...?currentid=300

What do you guys think?

Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 PM
JasonSK

Default RE: Help, buying my -second- Heli

I did some more looking around.

The trex seemed like a very good product, but I am no way am going to spend 800USD on a helecoptor at this point..... I have a lot to learn before I risk sending a 800$ piece of hardware sideways into a tree.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:46 PM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

i think you need to do more research.

i see your in the scopes of a 400class heli KIT. why not get a Trex 450XL? that century 3dpro costs about the same and from what i understand century heli are overpriced when it comes to parts for repairs. im under the impression that the 3dpro needs a lot of upgrades before it flies well. the Trex XL & SE are proven to dominate the class out of the box with even the OEM motor and esc (i dont think highly of the align gyro). get one and youll know why.

if your serious about this hobby, you invest cutting no corners from the start. ill tell you outright that it most likely takes 500-800 to learn to fly. you either buy a 200 RTF and wreck it until you figure it out $500 later if you havent quit by then. or you can buy a nice chopper for $$ and get it on the first try. this only applies if youre trying to teach yourself. if you have experienced help, you may defy this trend.

look into a used setup if you want to save a little money. i see plenty of RTFs or ARTF in classified forums of RR, RCG, etc.

i estimate a cheap, but decent setup would be like this (at retail prices). no need for $800

trex XL HDE or CDE (ccpm) - $140@
Align ESC w/ Gov + 430L motor - $85@ modefos
Apex 2200 lipo - $45 (almost as good as a thunderpower for half the price)
Spectrum DX6 Tx/Rx - $200 (cheaper than PCM, glitch free, only limitation is the 3 point curves)
4x Futaba servos or pay a little more for hitec HS56's - $55
futaba gy240 gyro - $110

total is $650ish
Old 01-31-2006, 07:46 PM
iishort86

if you want something cheaper you can go with the venom night ranger 3d. goes for around $219 online. has a Bell-Hiller Style Head Assembly
and Alloy Headblock, Chassis, Tailboom & Skids. Comes lipo ready considering you know how to solder your own adapters like bec, etc.

i must warn you this heli is SUPEr QUICK and fast.. im still barely getting use to it. Ive had friends that own both bcp and cp2 and those are snails compared to nr3d.

their support is awesome also. they have reps that go on forums and help answer questions. well not this forum but rc groups has a few reps on there.

hmm whatelse? their new so their just now getting replacement parts out to local stores, but that shouldnt be a problem anymore.

anyways take a look into the nr3d if you're interested.

oh yea almost forgot... one thing i dont like about them is that they didn't loctite the set screws.. thats pretty much the only screw up they've had so far. caused a few crashes here and there but they replaced the heli for those ppl for free so thats pretty cool.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 PM
JasonSK

Hmm
Thanks for the excellent posts.

I will have to see about that trex, it sure does seem like a solid helo.
Century's seems like a glorifyed dragonfly.. or vise versa? I dunno, I was starting to get scared away.

I just found out about that venom raptor, that is a sweet looking helecoptor.

Oh well, I can take the time do to it right this time. Not like last time where I rushed into it and bought a glorifyed fan lol.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 PM
JasonSK

ORIGINAL: jh4db536

i think you need to do more research.

i see your in the scopes of a 400class heli KIT. why not get a Trex 450XL? that century 3dpro costs about the same and from what i understand century heli are overpriced when it comes to parts for repairs. im under the impression that the 3dpro needs a lot of upgrades before it flies well. the Trex XL & SE are proven to dominate the class out of the box with even the OEM motor and esc (i dont think highly of the align gyro). get one and youll know why.

if your serious about this hobby, you invest cutting no corners from the start. ill tell you outright that it most likely takes 500-800 to learn to fly. you either buy a 200 RTF and wreck it until you figure it out $500 later if you havent quit by then. or you can buy a nice chopper for $$ and get it on the first try. this only applies if youre trying to teach yourself. if you have experienced help, you may defy this trend.

look into a used setup if you want to save a little money. i see plenty of RTFs or ARTF in classified forums of RR, RCG, etc.

i estimate a cheap, but decent setup would be like this (at retail prices). no need for $800

trex XL HDE or CDE (ccpm) - $140@
Align ESC w/ Gov + 430L motor - $85@ modefos
Apex 2200 lipo - $45 (almost as good as a thunderpower for half the price)
Spectrum DX6 Tx/Rx - $200 (cheaper than PCM, glitch free, only limitation is the 3 point curves)
4x Futaba servos or pay a little more for hitec HS56's - $55
futaba gy240 gyro - $110

total is $650ish
What is a good place to buy those parts from at those prices?
There are so many online places these days im going nuts trying to find good ones to deal with, I like to pick a place and stick with it kind of deal.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:46 PM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.tech-mp.com/trex.php

trex XL (HDE or CDE) + esc + motor = $235 shipped (but ur in canada....)
2x Apex 2200 lipo battery = $85 (cheaper in bulk)
futaba GY240 gyro - $113 (do not get anything less than this or you will be sorry)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.towerhobbies.com

servos - futaba 3110 x4 = $14each

fast, cheaper than hitec, supposedly center well, still nylon gears tho

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you can probably find this at a LHS

Spectrum Dx6 Tx/Rx - going price is $200 shipped

the only thing that's bad about the trex for a beginner is that it's such a powerful heli. it can wreck itself really good even with the oem align motor.

now considering you buy all this it's only 25% - the rest is setup. you can have the best equipment if you dont set it up right it wont fly right. setting it up per instructions will get it in the air, but that doesnt mean it's right. i cannot explain to you what right is, i could only show you in person. the gy240 will compensate for a lot of mistakes in tail setup...dont rely on it. it's like hanging on the thread while if you know what i mean. you have a lot to learn. this is no RTF.

stick with wood blades. they will decrease your chances of major damage in a crash. at $6 a pair you cant go wrong.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:03 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some reputable vendors for the T-Rex combos:

http://www.modefosheli.com/
http://www.allerc.com/
http://www.grandrc.com/

And you likely need a better transmitter. Consider getting a transmitter that will follow you through the hobby for a while. I really like my Futaba 9CH. Look here for transmitter only deals:
http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/
http://www.servocity.com/

JR also has some fantastic transmitters.

Vince