Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What should I start with?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What should I start with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Duane S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I start with?

Hey all,

I've recently gotten the bug to buy a RC helicopter. I have "0" RC experience. I've been fascinated with them for years, but they seemed way too complicated and expensive to repair when they crash.

I'm into model railroading. Fortunately (or UN fortunately) my LHS carries a full line. I've seen them playing in the store with micro electics, but kept telling myself "No, just say NO." LOL

A couple of weeks ago, I made the mistake of asking the guy to demo a Blade CX for me. I got hooked. If he'd had one, I'd have carried it home that day. All he had on hand was his demo. He told me he'd have some more coming in in a few days. I told him to hold one for me.

Well, they still haven't come in. Grrr.... Seems like I've got a bit more time to think about it.

So, my question is this: for a complete newbie, what's a good helicopter to learn with? It appeared to me that the Blade CX would be simple enough to figure out, but wonder if there's a better choice. The guy at the shop said that the Blade CP was a LOT more difficult to fly. I respect his opinion, but would like you guy's input.

Thanks,

Duane S
Old 02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
derek533

Default RE: What should I start with?

The Blade CX is a nice bird and will teach you all the basics of hovering and slow forward flight. Do not take it outdoors though, as it can't handle winds greater than about 3mph. If you've never flown a heli before or any type of RC, I highly recommend it. Even if you have flown RC, its still an excellent choice to get started on and learn hovering. In fact, I will probably get one myself just so I can have some fun when the weather is crappy.

Welcome to your newest addiction.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
LongRifle

I started off with the Blade CP and I love it. I also had never flown a heli before, so it was completely new to me. I went with the CP becasue I figured it would be good to learn on, and there is plenty of room to grow with. In addition, it is fairly inexpensive to repair when you crash (and you will).

If you decide on the CP, I highly recommend purchasing the training gear. In addition, Radd's School of Rotary Flight is an excellent place to get started. If you follow the lessons exactly, you will minimize any crashes you have. The only crashes that I have had are when I get impatient or too bold.

Welcom to the addiction! I bought my Blade CP right after Christmas, and I am already wanting to upgrade to the Trex.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:22 AM
HeliHacker

There is no doubt the CP is a lot more difficult to fly. If it is your intent to have something to primarily fly indoors, the CX. If you want to grow into something that has a lot more capability, the CP and a simulator. Get the simulator, it will save its cost in no time. Training setup definitly. But a word of warning - if you get the CP, leave it stock. Do not get the 3 cell lipo or you will be joining the burned out tail motor crowd in no time. The forums are just full of "why does my tail motor keep burning out".
Old 02-03-2006, 03:12 PM
DEFLYER22

Housefly, Esky lama 2, Blade CX, Walkera No. 5, Hirobo XRB are good beginner helicopters
- [link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/index.php]flying video of the Lama 2 and Housefly (Walkera No. 5) helicopters - click to watch[/link]
Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 PM
manu2005

I started on my honey bee cp2( same as blade CP). Great helicopter to fly indoors or outdoors with no wind.
It is up to you if you want a machine that could do 3d or not. I have crashed my cp2 acouple times with no damage at all just the plastic foil on the blades ripped wich was easy to fix with tape.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Duane S

Thanks so much for the replies guys.

I know from experience on the model train forums that it gets frustrating to hear the same newbie questions asked over and over.

I don't have plans for 3d flying, (that's WAY more ambicious than I think I've got the hand/eye co-ordination for), and I DO need to do most or ALL of my flying outdoors. I KNOW I'll crash it a few times before I figure it out, and I don't want a lot of grief from the better half. We have a modestly sized home, with no really open spaces. I wouldn't even consider trying to fly indoors until / if I gain some control of the beast. Being the klutz I am, that may take a while. []

So, since most / ALL of my flying will be outdoors, it doesn't sound like the CX would be a good choice. We seldom have totally calm days here in Eastern North Carolina.

It sounds like it MAY be better for me to start with something "like" the Blade CP. Yeah, it sounds like it may be more difficult to learn on, but it also sounds like it's better for outdoor flying.

Oh yeah, LongRifle, I've allready decided that whatever heli I start with, I NEED THE TRAINING GEAR.

So, what might be comparable in difficulty and cost to a Blade CP?

Thanks again guys.

Duane S
Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 PM
dsltek432

Esky honeybee cp2 is a little cheaper and very similar to the blade cp. It comes lipo ready and replacement parts are cheaper, although you will probrably have to order them. I have both and with blade cp on lipos there is not much difference.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:39 PM
dsltek432

I am suprised that iishort86 has not tried to sell you on a venom night ranger 3d yet. That is another option.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:47 PM
iishort86

nah no need. mines flies like a dream.

only newbies complain when they crash... that somewhat brings the heli name down, but i dont care. it's easy to tell who the newb is when they cry.

i still havn't figured out what relationship venom has with walkera, but the only difference that i care about between the two companies is venmon products actually fly.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM
dsltek432

ORIGINAL: iishort86

nah no need. mines flies like a dream.
I wasn't talking about selling him yours. I was talking about alot of your posts recommending the NR3D instead of the Blade cp/HB CP2. I do have one question for you. From your posts it sounds as if you have never flown a blade cp or HB Cp2. If this is the case, how can you compare them to your NR3D? I will say the NR3D is a good looking heli, but not having flown one I can't compare it to anything else.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:07 AM
iishort86

no i havn't but i have a lot of flying buddies that do own all trex,nr3d,bcp,cp2,sabre and they've been flying for 20-30 years now. i would say they know what their doing

Old 02-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Duane S

O.K. Guys, I really do appreciate your input and advice, but it's a done deal now. I went over the edge. []

I "innocently" went to my LHS this afternoon, and noticed that there was this Blade CX box sitting up on the top shelf smiling at me. I swear , she even winked at me. I tried to ignore her, and turned away. But then she called out my name. I tried to walk away, and she began crying. I looked back and saw how purty she was, and then I started listening to her.

Sniff, sniff, my heart melted and I just knew that couldn't leave her homeless.

(I'm such a sucker for a purty body.)

So now, she has a new home.

As well as an extra battery, extra upper and lower blades, and a set of training gear. (They were all so pathetic, I just couldn't leave them in a place like that.)

But I haven't tried to fly her yet. As luck would have it, it was raining and the wind was gusting to about 30-35 MPH. []

I was very tempted to try her out in the living room, but knew better. Not with you know who at home. Way too many breakable things that my better half cares about. I thought about the bedroom, but just didn't think that would be right, since you know who was at home.

Rats! Maybe the weather will be better tomorrow....

In the meantime, she's safe, warm, and cozy in my train room, making friends with the trains...... I think that I saw her winking at a Norfolk Southern diesel, but naw, that's just got to be my imagination.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Thanks again.

Duane S

Old 02-04-2006, 11:42 PM
iishort86

blade cx?? i wouldnt suggest you fly that outside.. there are people from this forum that took that outside and crashed. I would say a CX is a inside heli more than outside. It's pretty safe to fly inside. Ive never flown one before but everyone says it's easy. some would actually consider that a toy and not a "real" heli. ive also heard parts in the main rotor region break very easily on this model.

just to let you know since it's still brand new, that the cx is not a good helicopter to start off with if you really wanted to seriously jump into this hobby. Sure it's fun but in a month or so you'll out grow it and will probably want something better.

if you just want to fly something around for fun and not really thinking about going hardcore than cx is great pick, but if you seriously want to jump into this hobby I would suggest something else. CX's brother or is it the sister, CP, is a great start if you want to hop on this hobby. it's "easy" enough to start on, but you can still grow with it as you advance.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Raylon

I have both CP and CX. CX was probably the beter choice. The CX is extremely easy. You can take it outside, just make sure wind is at minimal, I've had mine many times outside. I've only crashed it once, got too brave and went outside when it was too windy(about 5 mph). Tossed the poor little thing all around. Before I could get it back down, crashed into a fence. CP on other hand, can handle a fair amount of wind. It's no 90 size by any means, but it can hold its own againt a little bit of wind. If you really want to fly the CX, but not inside, the garage is perfect, just back a car out. I do that with my CP. Kinda tricky, but CX can fly all around in a small space.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:38 PM
dsltek432

I'm going to agree with iishort86. If "you know who" is not going to let you fly it inside, you bought the wrong heli. Not sure how the weather is there, but there are VERY few days with no wind here.