Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

u guys are prob. going to hate me but....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

u guys are prob. going to hate me but....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Guildgtar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default u guys are prob. going to hate me but....

Im also a newb like others out there. But im into the Nitro rc car world. but i was lookin into the electric heli's and they seem pretty fun to fly. I was lookin at a heli called the hornet but i dont kno where to find the price. But what im just lookin for is one of the best heli's out there that is.....

- Easy to fly but able to do tricks...(that is once i get better u kno)
- Comes RTF with everything i need.
- ive herd some Heli's cant fly out side cause of strong winds. so i would like one that would be able to have control in winds.
- im not lookin for a mini....
- AND THANKS FOR HELPING ME SINCE IM A NEWB AT THIS HELI THING!

and again thanks...it would be nice for anything or any comments about any good heli's out there that would be a good starter, but after awhile of flying would turn into a good little trick heli.

THANKS AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:14 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: u guys are prob. going to hate me but....

NO NO HORNET. How much $$$ you got?
Old 02-04-2006, 05:04 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Stay away from the hornet.

If you want to fly outside, expect to spend atleast $800 for any sort of decent setup
Old 02-04-2006, 08:40 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your budget like? Knowing what range you are looking to spend will help us make recommendations. If you can fit in a sim, like Realflight G2, G3 or Reflex XTR, you will be way ahead. (G2 can often be found used for $100 or less)

A heli model that can handle wind, and will let you move up to doing tricks... T-Rex is a fit there.

RTF... No. Getting the kit and building it yourself will give you some of the skills you will NEED to have after your first crash. There are packages that come with everything you need. Or close, and you buy your own transmitter and some other parts.

Transmitter - $200-300
T-Rex mostly complete package - $500
Charger - $42
2 batteries - $150
receiver - $50

Easy to be a bit over $1000, depending on what you spend on your transmitter. I like the Futaba 9CH, available in a transmitter-only package from:
http://www.servocity.com/
http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/

I have ordered a lot of kits, upgrades and spare parts from these reputable vendors:
http://www.modefosheli.com/
http://www.allerc.com/
http://www.grandrc.com/

If this budget is out of reach, there are RTF minis that can do more than basic hover and forward flight. I hear a lot of good things about the Blade CP.

Read a lot here about all the different models available, and the strengths and weakneses of each. Ask a lot of questions. Be realistic. This is a very challenging form of the RC hobby.

Vince
Old 02-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Guildgtar

ok i guess i am going to be lookin n the mini heli's so what would be a good one for about 200 down? I dont kno anything about these things all i kno are rc cars and the nitro.

thanks everyone again ...
Old 02-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Raylon

Well, if you what an easy flying no frills machine, get the Blade CX, around $180. It is a hovering machine, don't expect any more. Maybe some limited forward flight. Only indoors, maybe outsid if there is no wind, can barely handle 1 Mph winds. For 220 you can get the Blade CP, it is next step up. Fairly hard to get the hang of, but can grow with you. Simulator is recommended with this one. I also heard good things about the Night Ranger 3D. Hopefully this helps.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Guildgtar

ya i was lookin at those....im pretty much want it to do alittle trickss here n there. i think its called 3D? (thats once i get better). and for it to fly around pretty fast but not really fast were i can control it that well. But i also want one that can grow with me. As n modifying it with maybe a brushless motor.

this also caught my eye..nice price and it comes with everyting i need.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKZV6&P=ML

or this one

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLJH8&P=0

does 3D mean able to do tricks n all? n is this heli capable?
Old 02-05-2006, 01:14 AM
iishort86

nr3d is a good pick. i do suggest you get help from someone that knows helis to help trim it out and get things right. that will help so much especially when you're new to helis.

nr3d like the name says can do 3d but limited. but hey if you're spending $219 for a RTF package you cant expect a pro heli right?
Old 02-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Guildgtar

i kno im just lookin for a weekend thing to do wiht this heli......but i would also like to have a little things to figure out wiht this heli. like control wise and everything. But is the NR3D good, for a newb but will also become a fun heli to fly around?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 PM
iishort86

i own a nr3d and yea it was hard to fly at first, but i got my friend to help me trim it out and now it's actually easier than my df4 to fly.

i came over from a fp df4 which is so easy to setup i was so lost on how to set my bird up especially with these two pitch and rpm knobs on the controller.

i was flying circles right on my first take off with nr3d once it was trimmed out. The only other experience with helis was for my df4 which i flew inside doing small 3-4ft circles, hovers, etc

id say it's pretty dam easy to fly, but thats just me.

i also know a lot of newbies that thought that can go from no heli exp to nr3d right away and they've crashes so many times i think they've spent well over $200 fixing their birds.

a few are getting ready to give up because it's THAT HARD when i think this bird is so easy to fly.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Guildgtar

well.....ive seen people crash there stuff...like my brother n law crashin his plane. So i kno how it is and all, but im really going to take my time wiht this and learn it. cuase i kno that will help out better then just going out and being dumb. but ya...i think the NR3D is a good thinng for me. Cause i dont want a real biggeners heli but i also dont want a expert heli. i think the NR3D is n the middle of those two.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:04 AM
rednekk58

I have a Blade cp in my hanger. $200 clams with radio. get an extra batery and a 12V 100mah power supply a radio shack. Charge the battery until it feels warm. About a half hour. Thoght it was hard to fly, after learning on a trex, then a little flying on a Venture .30 nitro. Blade was next. Still have all three. and a few planes.
Blade WAS touchy. For learning I found it helpful to move the servo linkage in by two holes Had the same effect as low rates. Now I have it programed in my Hi Tec Eclipse radio.
These are the only heli's I have experience in, so I cannot comment on others. Consider what you can get at your LHS also. Stinks having to wait for parts.
good luck
Old 02-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Guildgtar

ya it does suck...but tower hobbies has the NR3D and i have some coupons for there.....lol Coupons are always good!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:07 AM
rednekk58

Coupons are good!! Might cover asecond battery.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Guildgtar

lol...ya maybe...how long do batteries usally last...it says it comes with a NiMH 650 8AA cell
Old 02-07-2006, 12:18 PM
rednekk58

Can't answer your battery question. A guesstamate would be about 8 to 10 minute. I started using 1500 mah 11.1v from my foam planes. Wish I could fly it long enough to see how long that lasts. My bigger ones are easeir to fly.
The way I fly my Blade is, I repair for an hour, fly ten minutes, and the cycle goes on. Had an old '74 Artic Cat snowmobile like that too. Work on it all week and break it on the weekends.
Crashed my Venture Sunday. Dumb thumbs. Ordered parts for that. PIMA. That was the first CRASH that was my fault. (Had the glow plug fall out twice at about 10 to 20 feet AGL) I had done a few loops, then started adding negative pitch at the top of the loop. THEN i decided to try it a little lower than two mistakes high. Ordered about $200 worth of parts, but quite a few will be spares.
Have Fun