Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

?-Channel Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Shortymet55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?-Channel Radio

Im thinking of a T-rex and because Im 14 i dont have much money, so i need to plan the costs in advance so i can save up. Basically, what are the least amount of channel I can use? I think it is 6, right? Then, If i plane to get landing gear, I need a 7 channel. Why would anyone get a 9CH? Is there anyone that accually uses all 9 channels? Other than that i only see mixing capabilities. And how much more mixing do you need, that a 7CH can't do? O does the futaba 6EXH has all required mixing correct? Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Gorgok

Default RE: ?-Channel Radio

You need at least 3 servos on the cyclic, one throttle control (ESC in the case of electrics) and two channels for a good gyro (one rudder, one gyro). So yeah, 6 is the minimum. The best cheap radio i would say is the JR XP6102. Thats the best radio little money can buy in my opinnion.

However, as you said, it leaves little room for other functions if you need later. The only other function i can think of is retracting gear. I don't know much about airplane controls though, so maybe flaps, brakes or air brakes, etc...
Old 02-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Shortymet55

Good point about the airplane stuff. I am looking into a second plane. Nothing special, but if i get better, good planes will require alot. As of now im leaning towards the Futaba 7CHP, because it kinda in the middle.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:53 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Using a governor would put you at 7 channels. If you want retracts or lights, 9 channels.
If you're into planes, it goes up even more. Individual ailerons, flaps, landing gear, bomb drops, etc.

So yes, many people use 9+ channels in their models.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Shortymet55

The thing is I'm 14 and dont have tons of money. At this point im not going to get into anything special on the heli except for retracts maybe. And for planes, Im only on my second one and I know im not going to need anything over 4 channels for many years. So I think 7 is enough. Now how many of you have retracts. Is there a real point to them other than looks. If so Im going to save my money and get a 6 channel, and if I decide to upgrade later, I'll have a job by then.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Gorgok

Retracts in helis are for scale people. Scale and maybe fast airplanes where drag might matter... Now i don't know much about scale helis, while they look good i'd probably not own one... At least not until i have cash to burn on a fuse and then i'd probably upgrade to a 9+ channel radio from my 6 channel instead of a 7 or 8 channel.

Basically if you like scale stuff you may want retracts... otherwise no. The governor comment is true though, you may want one of those... but you can do a pretty good job without one.

Its a question of time really, how long do you think a 6 channel will last. I think mine will last at least 2 more helis (from my .30 nitro now) to maybe an electric like a Trex and a .50 or bigger nitro. After those i might be looking at more electronic gadgets, like governors.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:33 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think of it as a matter of how many channels. Think of it as a matter of features.
You already know that you are bitten by the RC bug. You already know that you are going to lay out money to upgrade your transmitter.
Why not upgrade to one that will meet your needs for a long time?
My Futaba 9C has a fantastic feature set that meets all of my RC needs. From my 1 ounce plane to my 8 foot wingspan electric Telemaster SR. My FP Piccolo and my T-Rex. Sailplanes with spoilers, ailerons and flaps.
If you skimp on the transmitter, you will end up spending more because you will have to upgrade.
Take a look at [link=http://www.servocity.com/]Servo City[/link] and [link=http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/]Bruckner Hobbies[/link]. The have transmitter only options on the 9CH in the $320 range.
Or look into the JR line.
But get all of the transmitter you can afford. Planes and helis will come and go. Your transmitter will stay with you.
Vince
Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Shortymet55

Ok, Ive decided. I dont really care about cool loking scale helis. Also, Im not gonna worry about planes, because i have nowhere to fly them. So pretty much a 6 channel radio will be fine for me. By the time Im gonna need to upgrade (10 yrs maybe), Ill have enough money to get a better radio, or there might even be better readios out with more technology. Who Knows. But as for now im going 6 channels. And that will also keep me from being stupid and going out to buy a canopy with retracts. Im sayin this because, Im 14 and need to save money, so dont want to spend any on stuff i dont need.