Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

needs help w/ t-rex 450......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

needs help w/ t-rex 450......

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:15 AM
pilot24usa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needs help w/ t-rex 450......

Hi guys.....i'm getting a new t-rex 450, but i'm a newbie and don't know much about rc heli. would like to know what should i buy to build a nice t-rex for a new pilot? what set up? eletronics? i need to know everything needed to get ready to fly, from blade to r/c!? thank you guys....
Old 02-14-2006, 06:18 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: needs help w/ t-rex 450......

Hi,
Are you buying a new transmitter, or do you already have a good, capable heli transmitter?
If you are buying new, I have had good success with my Futaba 9CH. It is available in a transmitter-only package for about $320 from these reputable vendors:
http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/
http://www.servocity.com/

There are some outstanding Rexie packages available from these vendors:
http://www.modefosheli.com/
http://www.grandrc.com/
http://www.allerc.com/

For budget minded without sacrificing quality, Ilike something like this:
HDE kit
4x HS56 servos
Futaba 240 (or better, 401) gyro
2000+ Mah 3s LiPo pack(s) with 15C rating
Pretty much any motor advertised by these vendors on the combo packages.
This will probably be in the $600 range.

Do you already have a battery charger capable of charging 3s LiPos? If not, consider the Apache 2500 for something like $43. It runs on 12 volts, but you can use an old computer power supply, or go to radio shack and get a 12v converter.

Vince
Old 02-14-2006, 06:21 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, another thought; does your budget allow for a sim? Realflight G2, G3 or Reflex XTR will go a LONG way in helping you learn to fly helis, and practice each new move before you risk your heli.
Vince
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 PM
pilot24usa

hi vince.....i'm getting everything that i need to fly. I'm a commercial pilot and love everything that fly, so, thats my new hobby. hopefully i'll do good. Thank you so much for the help vince.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
GreenTea

You could also go the route and get a package deal already. From helihobby.com, I purchased a 450SE kit with the Align motor & 35 Speed Controller for $489... the 3550 motor is very powerful and works quite well! I'm using a Spektrum DX6 radio which eliminates the need for reserving a frequency (among other things).

But if this is your first helicopter, I'd strongly suggest starting with something much tamer. Personally, I started with a Blade CX which is a really fun toy, but is cheap to repair and very easy to fly. Use that to learn hovering, orientation, and basic flight maneuvers.

I also spent a few bucks and got the Reflex XTR simulator, and that was an amazingly important purchase. The difference between the Blade CX and the electric helis simulated on the Reflex system is night and day. By using the simulator for hours, I was able to (nervously) hover the TRex for the first flight, and get it back down on the ground. There's no way I would have been able to do this without having the sim first, and I myself am a fixed-wing private pilot, so I felt fairly confident before I started. The electric helis like the Trex are extremely maneuverable and very, very fast, and I have no doubt I would have had pieces everywhere after the first flight.

I'm now getting to the point that my pulse doesn't start racing when the helicopter leaves the ground, so I honestly urge you to start with a really forgiving heli like the BladeCX and upgrade once you've mastered that one. Right now, I can land the BladeCX on a dime and fly it in a very slight breeze, but the TRex is another beast entirely.

Most of all, be careful and have fun!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:52 PM
zxcvcxz

could someone point me to a page that details the set up of a futaba 6EXA for the trex 450SE?
much thanks in advance.