Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What is trimming and why/how do you do it

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What is trimming and why/how do you do it

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 AM
jhunter68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is trimming and why/how do you do it

I have seen in many posts indicating that most new RTF birds are not in fact RTF and actually need to be trimmed prior to acheiving RTF status. Can anyone advise as to the how and why of trimming (or point me to a similarly responsive article as I am sure someone has typed about it before) and is there any other useful advice for newby in terms of initial bird setup? All responses are truly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:01 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is trimming and why/how do you do it

Hi,
Depending on what model you get, there is a wide range in the quality of the assembly, and the quality of the parts.
Making adjustments to the linkages to get smooth, slop-free action is very important.
Blade tracking, balance, gyro gain and centering settings. Motor breakin. Things like that.

As for tips, take a read through the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439631]EHBG/Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide[/link]

I also recommend that beginners NOT get RTF. Assembling a kit gives knowledge about the heli, and how to work on it. You will need these skills after your first crash.
But, most of the bottom dollar birds are RTF.
Vince

PS - sending you a PM
Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 AM
tippy

jhunter68: I have seen in many posts indicating that most new RTF birds are not in fact RTF and actually need to be trimmed prior to acheiving RTF status. Can anyone advise as to the how and why of trimming (or point me to a similarly responsive article as I am sure someone has typed about it before) and is there any other useful advice for newby in terms of initial bird setup? All responses are truly appreciated.
How? That varys from model to model. Usually involves adjusting linkages and placing servo arms and levers correctly.

Why? It's such a nice feeling to allow your heli to hover on it's own with little stick input. This only happens if the servo to control linkage is "trimmed". For example, if your rudder is not "trimmed", you will spen your entire flight leaning on the rudder stick. While it may be flyable, it's a nuisance and cuts into the "fun" factor. Same thing with cyclic. If your trim setting is close enough to adjust out with the trim on the heli, that's good except when lots of TX trim is used, use are displacing some of the function of the control movement (at least in the direction of trim).

So ... it really makes for a more enjoyable flying experience if you DON'T have to bias a control with a constant stick movement. Ideally, a heli should be trimmed so that it can at least momentarily hover with no hands on the sticks. This won't happen when the heli is "untrimmed".

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
cpnewby

Now at least I have confirmation of what I thought a Helicopter should do.... Hover without your hands on the sticks. THANKS.

Last Friday I bought a CP Blade (and I am new to RC) and the tail turns to the left and when giving more throttle the nose goes to the left and a bit down. I was wondering why?
I guess I will have to play around with the trim.

Thanks
cpnewby
Old 02-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Chris_s

you may also have to adjust the proportional pot on the 4in1
Old 02-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Same boat here, can you elaborate upon that last statement, I'm doing a major crash course, still learning the terminology about this.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Most helicopters don't hover for hands off very long any more than a spinning basketball will stay on your finger tip without minor corrections.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:59 PM
tippy

tippy: ... momentarily hover with no hands on the sticks. ...
barracudahockey : ... Most helicopters don't hover for hands off very long ...
cpnewby: ... Hover without your hands on the sticks ...
I hope you understand what we're saying. Even the best trimmed heli will not stay hovering all by itself for very long. An untrimmed heli will hover by itself even less or not at all.

Chris_s :... you may also have to adjust the proportional pot on the 4in1
Espresso-Outfitters: ... can you elaborate upon that last statement
The "proportional pot(entiometer)" is found on the control unit for electric heli's. Some heli's have little motors for t/r control. These motors vary RPMs to vary the thrust. The "pot" is adjusted to give the proper thrust to counter the forces of torque. This would be like electronically trimming your t/r thrust at the heli. Heli's that change t/r control via pitch changes are adjusted via the linkage between the t/r servo and t/r pitch slide ie mechanically trimming the t/r thrust.

Both are methods of trimming the t/r thrust to match the torque forces in order to maintain YAW control.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Well made my first flight, I kept it short since there was wind I was fighting, that and the landing gear broke when I landed it too hard, I gave myself plenty of space out in a field with spongy grass/soil to cushion the learning process, will leave the battery mount stock since I'd rather it fly off upon impact rather then drag the chopper with it. So far have made some progress trimming it, at least got it off of the ground correctly, will take the next run just as easy, I can't wait to reach a point where I can fly it in my backyard.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

Most helicopters don't hover for hands off very long any more than a spinning basketball will stay on your finger tip without minor corrections.
That's a perfect way of putting it. Helicopters don't hover by them selves. You can get them set up to the point where they require only a little correction to remain steady, but you will always be giving it some stick input. This is especially true for micro helicopters. Bigger birds can hover with little to no correction for a much longer period of time.