Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

tachs for helis

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:17 PM
rvmach50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tachs for helis

Hi all

I am trying to setup head speeds on my hawk pro it seems to be to slow at hover . I know it is probly to much pitch but I would like to know the rpms . I found alot of info on tachs ,but I am doing this on my own . Does anyone know if there is one I can use without help. I found a post (some were were a guy rubber banded one on the tail of his heli ) can't find it agin. It was a small digital electronic . Maybe not to accurate but any thing would help. do the air plane tachs work. (Micro Digital Tach) I want something cheep but will pay what ever it takes if it works

thanks rvmach5o
Old 02-19-2006, 12:03 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: tachs for helis

Your best bet is to get an optical tach and have someone tach it for you. There's a button for up speed and down speed, you sight through the tach and press the up or down button till the rotors appear to stop then read the readout for your head speed.
My 11 year old tachs mine of another flier isnt around so you can pretty much drag anyone with you that isn't blind and has enough dexterity to work a tv remote.

http://www.heliproz.com sells several, theres one thats about 80 bucks that works as well as the 200 dollar ones.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:00 PM
rvmach50

Thanks wasn't shure but wiilget an optic tach, still thinking about a onboard tach ? Its a fun hobby and why not have what works . It ma seem overboard but my kids are grown up and I might as well spend

good flying toall
Old 02-19-2006, 04:22 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Alot of people use standard plane tachs (like me ), they're just more dangerous and not as accurate.
With an optical tach, you can get readings of what the blades are doing during normal flight at a safe distance. Strapping a plane tach to the helicopter will only let you get readings when the helicopter is near you in a hover and so won't give the most optimal blade setup. For most people this isn't even a big deal. If you're into hard 3D, an optical tach would be a good bet though . If you're going to get a tach and want to know what to get, an optical one would be the best choice if you don't mind spending the extra money.

Otherwise standard plane tachs work just fine, just make sure you don't chop your hands off
Old 02-19-2006, 04:40 PM
tippy

rvmach50 : ... I am trying to setup head speeds on my hawk pro it seems to be to slow at hover . I know it is probly to much pitch but I would like to know the rpms . I found alot of info on tachs ,but I am doing this on my own . Does anyone know if there is one I can use without help. I found a post (some were were a guy rubber banded one on the tail of his heli ) can't find it agin. It was a small digital electronic . Maybe not to accurate but any thing would help. do the air plane tachs work. (Micro Digital Tach) I want something cheep but will pay what ever it takes if it works
I can't remember where I got this one but a long time ago, I used this "Tera" optical tach that mounted on the boom. It had a large LCD display to see the numbers. It also had a mode to read the battery level (unit plugged into a spare RX channel for power). It also has a switch on the back to select either 2 or 4 blades. It's "sensor" points straight up and counts the blade as it passes. Generally requires a bright blue sky to work right.

I only used a few times just to see if RPM was near what it was supposed to be. Later I realized that RPM was just the result of a large physics equation and as long as the variables was correct (ie heli weight, blade size, power out, pitch settings), the RPM has to be correct. If it wasn't it was due to a variable being way off the mark. So never used it since.

Here's what it looks like:

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 02-19-2006, 07:46 PM
rvmach50

thanks Agin I havn't got one yet but being new I need it . I spent the day going over the setup on my heli. It was setup the first time with the help of a guy trhat said he had been flying for years? After looking and reading I saw that the throttle curve was to low and pitch to high for the low head speeds very hard to hover .Got it close to were it should be I think and I had better control and was hovering perfect and started basic manuvers I love this.

thanks

ps I think I want a governor
Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

ps I think I want a governor

Till you get to some serious flying, spend your money on turning fuel into smoke.

They are nice but you should have the basics down and learn proper setup before you mess with one.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:50 PM
powerline21

Hi. I was looking for the same and came upon 2 great products. They are both from helitronix. The first is an onboard tach that uses wireless telemetry to send real-time head speed directly down to an lcd screen that you attach to your Tx. Its kin of expensive at $250 for the whole kit. The second is more my type. It is an onboard tach that simply plugs into any open space on your receiver. During your flight, whenever you want to sample your head speed you simply flip the switch on your Tx that you set up for tach. This holds the rpm read out and displays it on an on board LCD screen, just land it and check it. Then just flip the switch back and your ready for the next reading. The best part is its only $60! with this I'm finally able to go fly without bringing someone to tach for me. Hope this helps you guys out some!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Charlie

still thinking about a onboard tach
Ace use to sell this onboard tach, I don't know if you can still get it or not.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45398.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	465462  
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 AM
tippy

rvmach50 : ... I am trying to setup head speeds on my hawk pro it seems to be to slow at hover . I know it is probly to much pitch but I would like to know the rpms . I found alot of info on tachs ,but I am doing this on my own . Does anyone know if there is one I can use without help. I found a post (some were were a guy rubber banded one on the tail of his heli ) can't find it agin. It was a small digital electronic . Maybe not to accurate but any thing would help. do the air plane tachs work. (Micro Digital Tach) I want something cheep but will pay what ever it takes if it works
I can't remember where I got this one but a long time ago, I used this "Tera" optical tach that mounted on the boom. It had a large LCD display to see the numbers. It also had a mode to read the battery level (unit plugged into a spare RX channel for power). It also has a switch on the back to select either 2 or 4 blades. It's "sensor" points straight up and counts the blade as it passes. Generally requires a bright blue sky to work right.

I only used a few times just to see if RPM was near what it was supposed to be. Later I realized that RPM was just the result of a large physics equation and as long as the variables was correct (ie heli weight, blade size, power out, pitch settings), the RPM has to be correct. If it wasn't it was due to a variable being way off the mark. So never used it since.

Here's what it looks like:

Good Luck,
d.tipton

[/quote]
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 PM
hueyman

I've been using this. checked it against an optical tach up to 2300rpm. realtime readout is hard to see but it locks in max rpm for safe viewing. mailorder $15 shipped...my kinda pricing.
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t208548p1/
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Charlie

Do you have link to who sells them?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 PM
hueyman

i mail ordered mine from the local Rei sporting goods store. the local store didn't have one in stock so they had one shipped from a California store direct to my house in Illinois. you can contact them at REI.com and they could set you up or try:

http://www.bizrate.com/bicycles_equi...__nwylf--.html