Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

MIP TG-3 On-Board Temp Gauge

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

MIP TG-3 On-Board Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Ace9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIP TG-3 On-Board Temp Gauge

Here goes another question; I just purchased the new MIP TG-3 on board temp. guage for my OS 50 Hyper in my Raptor 50 SE from tower hobbies and upon unpacking it I discovered 2 things! #1 There is a small blue O Ring that was inside the package of contents, What is it for? #2 I notice that you can't see the LCD screen unless you are at a 45 degree angle to the screen. If you look at it straight on it is very weak and hard to read. I thought at first that the battery was weak, however when you look at the screen from off to the side it is very solid in contrast just like the batteries are new. Is this suppose to be this way? Waiting for reply. Ace9.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Ace9

Default RE: MIP TG-3 On-Board Temp Gauge

Update; I went ahead and took out the small watch like size battery (1.5V) and tested it without a load. It read 0.91 Volts so I took it to the local battery shop and they tested it and said it failed the test. Purchased a new one and tested it with the voltmeter (no load) it tested 1.71 Volts. I went ahead and installed it and now the numbers can be seen looking at it straight on as well as from the side.It may be slightly brighter in contrast but not very much. I guess when you can no longer see the number's looking straight on, it is time to change the battery! I am wondering if someone accidently turned it on by pressing the button when it was still in the package right from Tower Hobbies and it simply wore the battery out.I still haven't figured out what the little blue O ring is for but that is more curiosity than a concern! Ace9.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Gorgok

I assume the 'probe' is a hoop? I would put the oring on that loop, before putting the loop around the head, then slide the oring as close to the head as i can (so the loop is tight).

But im just guessing.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Ace9

Yes Gorgok, It is indeed a closed loop. That is exactly what I have done, although I am going to take it off. There is already 3 pieces of small (fuel line looking) tubing that are meant to be slid along the wires to keep the leads together. When you slide the last one down it is suppose to hold the sensing wire tight to the block for a contact fit. The O ring almost prevents this from happening as it doesn't pinch the wires as tight as the tubing does. That is why I am going to remove the O ring all together. I am wondering if it was mistakingly packaged as I'm pretty sure that it was never opened before I did!! Anyway thanks for your input and it is a great product now that I can see the display HEAD-ON, Ace9.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Gorgok

After i posted i actually checked tower hobbies for that item. Got a pic and the items in the package... no o-ring mentioned or shown (the fuel tubing was shown, not mentioned i think).

In this case i would assume that the oring is used instead of a tie wrap to bundle excess wire, as long as both the 'big' ends go in the same direction, orings are great at bundeling wires. Of course if the wire is stretched out, then bundeling it is not needed.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Ace9

Good answer Gorgok; That would be an excellent assumption and makes perfect sense as it is not tight on the 2 wires however if you folded over 2 then the thickness would be doubled up and it definitely would be snug. Thanks and I think you have solved the mystery of the Blue O Ring!! Ace9.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Ace9

UPDATE; MIP just replied to my message. Here is what they have to say! The blue "0" ring is to keep the on/off button from turning on during shipping, you don't need it anymore. Ace9.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Gorgok

Heh, i guess it didn't work for you though (as you had a low battery). Its a good idea on their part though.