Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Putting heli into 3D mode

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Putting heli into 3D mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
codepunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting heli into 3D mode

I just bought a 3D capable heli (Heli-max MX400-Pro) and I've never flown anything in my life and I will never crash it....hehe, just kidding.

Actually, I've been flying normal Hummingbird style heli's for bit and 3D planes even longer. I bought a new heli so I don't have to drive 20 minutes from home just to fly for 10 (i.e. I can fly in my backyard).

Since this is my first 3D capable CCPM (is that right?) heli, I have a few questions. After I hooked up the servos and turned everything on, my throttle all the way at the bottom and the engine does not turn. Throttle up and it starts fine. Now, for 3D mode, you start with the throttle in the middle and go from there correct. Not that I'm going to do it anytime soon, but where do I look to flip everything into 3D mode. Is it a setting on the transmitter? The ESC? Where?

I'll just start with that question right now. I have others but it can wait.

P.S. I have a Futaba 7CAP transmitter and I set it to the first helicopter mode which shows up as "H1".
Old 02-21-2006, 06:54 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Putting heli into 3D mode

Hi codepunk,
The Futaba 7CAP transmitter will do a lot of good things for you. You may want to consider modifying the ratchety throttle behavior that the airplane transmitters use. A smooth throttle is preferred for helis.

For your questions on helis, a good resource to look through is the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477304]EHBG/Electric Helicopter Beginners Guide[/link]

Since this is my first 3D capable CCPM (is that right?) heli, I have a few questions. After I hooked up the servos and turned everything on, my throttle all the way at the bottom and the engine does not turn. Throttle up and it starts fine.
This describes normal mode. Good for first test flights and learning. Not good for 3D, or even flying outdoors at slightly higher altitudes (20 feet) or in wind.

For 3D mode, or idle-up mode, you first spool up on normal mode, and then switch to 3D mode. Probably somewhere close to mid stick. This is much better for flying in wind.

Vince
Old 02-21-2006, 07:04 PM
codepunk

Hmm, how about looking through the manual for my radio :-)

Found this information. Is this what I'm looking for?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IDLE-UPS: additional flight conditions available specifically for helicopters. These additional flight conditions contain
different throttle curves, collective pitch curves, and trims to make the helicopter perform
certain maneuvers more easily. Lastly, the gyro and dual rate functions may be set to provide separate rates per condition
selected, including one for each idle-up.
One of the most common flight conditions can easily flip from upright to inverted and back. To do so, the pitch curve is
set to 0 pitch at half stick, positive pitch (climb upright) above half, and negative pitch (climb when inverted) below half
stick. The throttle curve is adjusted to allow the engine to run consistently throughout the changes in pitch.
Additional idle-ups may be used to maximize the helicopter' s flight characteristics in certain types of flight (i.e. fast
forward motion, backward) or maneuvers (loops, rolls, stall turns), or even the same maneuver but changing from headinghold/
AVCS gyro mode to normal gyro mode. The 7C provides 2 idle-ups to allow the modeler 2 additional setups along
with the normal flight condition.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like I flip the G switch from normal to idle-up1. Now, I'm assuming that everytime I take off, I will want to be in normal mode. Once I get to a nice altitude, flip the switch. What about for landing? Do I just flip the switch while flying? Even though I could land it in idle-up mode, I would need to stop the blades so I can turn the darn thing off right. To do that, I would need to flip the switch to normal and move the throttle stick all the way down. If I was on the ground and was a little "slow", it might not be pretty. Is this correct?

I should see if this works in AFPD. Every time I've been flying in the sim, it's always been in idle-up mode and I never worry about having to switch. Guess I should practice.

-Mark
Old 02-21-2006, 08:00 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit that I do switch in the air, but most people (from the previous threads I started asking this very question) switch on the ground.

Again, start your heli learning in normal mode. Take off, hover and land in normal mode.
After you get the basic hover down, then consider adding idle-up to the process.

Vince
Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 PM
codepunk

Yeah, that was my plan all along. Normal mode for several flights before I do the switch. The only 3D flying on a heli I've done is many hours in the simulator, but I need to learn how my new heli performs before I even begin to think of doing any 3D.

Thanks for the help,
Mark
Old 02-22-2006, 01:26 AM
codepunk

Hmmm, guess I have to read the manual a little more. Simply flipping the G switch does nothing. If anyone has hints for the Futaba 7CAP concerning this feel free to send them my way. No big rush since I'm going to fly in normal mode for awhile.

-Mark
Old 02-22-2006, 10:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

It don't do anything till you go into the Throttle Curve menu and enable that condition.

My advice, FWIW is to start your training so that the helicopter hovers at 3/4 stick so you would look something like

-2 -1 0 5 9 then move on to -4 -2 0 5 9 degrees when you are ready for idle up you will want -9 -5 0 5 9 notice your top 3 never change, and when you go to idle up you will hover upright at 3/4 stick and inverted at 1/4 and the helicopter won't jump when you change flight modes from normal to idle up while you are flying. Use your throttle curves to set your headspeed.