Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

collective when battery is fresh

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

collective when battery is fresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
pwayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default collective when battery is fresh

Hey, can anyone tell me why, whenever I put a freshly charged battery in the heli (Blade CP), it seems to really crank up the main rotor speed before it pulls pitch? After the battery runs down a bit, it seems to lift off at a much lower rotor speed. I almost have to give it full throttle before it will lift off sometimes. I'm a new guy at this and would like some advise from some of you more seasoned pilots. Thanks very much.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Ace9

Default RE: collective when battery is fresh

I am not a seasoned pilot by any means however I do fly a Blade CP. When I arm my Blade I have the throttle stick at 0 and the trim at 0. After the 4 in 1 arms I advance my throttle trim until the tail rotor just starts to turn and then decrease the trim until it just stops. I then advance the throttle and lift off. I heard that once in the air hovering you can use the throttle trim to make fine adjustments to the collective. I actually noticed my Heli spinning pretty fast also (2371 RPM) and turned the pitch control links 1/2 turn on each one to increase the pitch slightly. It lifts off into a hover at about 60% throttle. There was also some sticking collective issues with these and there is new design blade grips that support the use of 3 brgs. instead of 2. Hope this helps, Ace9.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
pwayne

Thanks for the tip. I tryed turning the pitch up by one full turn. half at a time, and it didn't seem to make any difference. Also, when I add throttle trim, it takes almost the full up trim before the blades move at all. No noticable help. I guess the collective must be sticking like you said. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Ace9

Make sure that you turned the links the correct way to increase the pitch rather than decrease. Also record all adjustments on paper so you can put things back to original if you try something and it doesn't work. If you did turn the links the correct way, try disconnecting the main and tail rotor connectors from the 4 in 1 and then power up and have the Heli arm itself (throttle & throttle trim @ 0) Then advance the throttle to 50% and activate the Idle Up to ON. Pitch should be at 0 degrees. Then check with throttle at 100% pitch should be 10 degrees positive and then throttle at 0% pitch should be at 10 degrees negative.Watch for any signs of binding as the head moves up and down to give the positive and negative pitch on the mains.Ace9.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 AM
pwayne

Okay. I did what you suggested. I don't have a pitch guage but it looks like it is operating properly. I'll try flying it again when the batteries are charged up. Thanks again. pwayne
Old 02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Ace9

Stay in touch; It is starting to sound like a sticking collective issue. You are using the TX that comes with the Blade CP, correct? Ace9
Old 02-23-2006, 12:24 PM
pwayne

Yes. It seems to be fine otherwise. pwayne
Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Ace9

Are you using the Factory supplied Transmitter that comes with the Blade CP system? Ace9.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:12 PM
pwayne

Yes. I am using the factory supplied transmitter. pwayne
Old 02-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Ace9

Scroll down and check out the part about Collective Pitch Response. [link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Bulletin.aspx?ProdId=EFLH1100[/link] There was also some washers that were assembled in the wrong order as well as the new design blade grips that support the use of 3 brgs. There is also some other things that can cause binding in the head. Ace9
Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 PM
pwayne

Thanks for your help. I think that after flying it for the last couple of days it has loosened up a bit. It still requires about 60% throttle to get it off the ground but I'm used to it now so it doesn't surprise me anymore. I've only had this heli for a couple weeks. Takes some getting used to I guess. No major crashes yet. Only broke one blade. I read someones suggestion about how to protect the blades with celophane tape and did what he said. No blade strikes yet so I can't say if it works as well as advertised. Once again, thanks for your input. pwayne