Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

century hawk pro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
deadstickpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default century hawk pro?

is the hawk pro any good? i have been thiinking of getting it. im gonna get the combo from tower. is the combo any good? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ2553** . thanks
Old 02-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Gorgok

Default RE: century hawk pro?

I like my Hawk pro. No complaints really, it does what i want and i'm learning to fly. Once i set it up more to my linking its even better. Only real issue is if i do crash (never yet) i don't have a local shop with parts.

That combo though...

First, i don't like that radio. I would rather get the JR XP6102, if you only want a 6 channel radio. If you want some upgrade ability a 7 channel or more radio is what you need.

Second, the engine is good, but i think it will be underpowered. The OS .37 would be a better choice. Personally i have the Toki .40 in my machine. But as many will say, OS engines have proven more reliable over time. While my Toki .40 is working perfect, with lots of power, it might not be the case for everyone.

Third, the gyro is awsome; but Tower seems to have paired it with a servo that is not going to let the gyro strut its stuff. You should get the Gy401 with a 9253 or 9254 (Tower sells one of these as comboes). That way you can set the gyro to be real fast, digital and all. With the 3151 you actually can't use the digital mode (or they recommend you don't) and you won't have nearly as much tail authority as you would with the 9254.

I'll check some sites... i'm sure i saw a place to get the Hawk pro in another combo.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:48 PM
deadstickpilot

thanks for the advice. from all the reviews i ahve read, they hawk seems to be a great heli. well, i dont like jr to much, so ill stick to futuba. ill stick to towers combo for now and then maybe upgrade later. thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Gorgok

Nothing against Futaba, but personally if i were to go with Futaba i would get the 7CHP at least.

I gotta say that the Hawk pro is very solid, you will enjoy it. Good luck flying, and have fun.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:48 AM
derek533

Hawk Pro from what I've heard is a good flying heli and now that Tower is carrying them, parts should be easy to come by. The combo is a mess of stuff that will leave you wanting more from the very get go. First off, and I speak from experience here, do NOT get the Futaba 6EXH. It has no airplane programming in it and if you ever want to fly planes, you will not be able to do any sort of programming with that radio (mixing, retracts, flaps, etc.) and you will have to buy another. I had the 6EXA (airplane version) and I had to ditch it b/c it wouldn't fly my Caliber 5. Spend the extra $100 and get the Futaba 7C. You will not be disappointed and will have a radio that you will not outgrow anytime soon. Also, to take advantage of how good the 401 gyro really is, you need to get the one that comes with the 9254 servo as mentioned abov

When it comes to Tower, do a search on the forums and look for discount codes. They are everywhere and can save you alot of money. Also, I have found that their combos they have really don't save you alot of money and in some instances, you can piece together your order, get better stuff, and still be the same or even less than the combo that they offer.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
derek533

Just did some checking for you. On Tower's website, here is what I put together and these components are much much better than what comes in the combo.

Hawk Pro $199
OS 37 $149.99 (This is a much better engine for only $35 more than the OS32)
Futaba 401 w/9254 Servo $219.99
Futaba 7CHF $279.99

Total is $849 however, they are currently offerring $30 off an order of $199 or more so your total is only $820 and that is $130 more than the ultimate combo however, these components are much better than you would get in the combo (better radio, better engine, better servo for the tail). Also, the $30 off $199 ends today so tomorrow, they will post new codes which will probably be better than today's as $30 off $199 or more is one of the lower amounts I have seen.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Gorgok

That collection right there is just what i had in mind. Costs more, but less 'wasted' money on replacing what you got just a bit before though.

Like replacing the radio, servo and engine.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:50 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

You will get a better deal with heliproz.com(plus free shipping)
Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Gorgok

I don't think heliproz sells the Hawk... or at least not by searching did i find it (their site navigation is horrible.)
Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

No i don't think they sell Hawk, sorry my bad. But they do have the best price on GY401 gyros and 9254 servos you can get both for $189 shipped. If i where you i think i would maybe go with a raptor 30(raptor 30 $279 i think) or a hirobo 30(shuttle plus $229) . Thats just my opinion i'm sure the hawk is a good heli. I would put a packege together myself vs buying one tower has put together. Just give it a thought before you spend your money.

Thanks
smallplanes
Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
deadstickpilot

thanks for all the help. the thing is, im a little (LOT) shorton cash so i have to go withthe cheapest/best things i can afford. my max, 700 bucks.

deadstickpilot
Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 AM
derek533

Don't mean to burst your bubble here, but if $700 is your max, then the ultimate combo from Tower won't even get you in the air. You still need fuel, fuel pump, glow plug igniter, and starter with starter shaft and battery (to run starter off of). That right there will cost you another $100 or so and is not included in their combo.