Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Help with 3d Pitch and other questions!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Help with 3d Pitch and other questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 AM
chickenx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 3d Pitch and other questions!

Hi, i am setting up my 3d settings and right now this is my + and my - both at full up and one full down, the see saw is hitting top and bottom but im not sure if this is enough pitch to consider going inverted. I was wondering how to get more pitch even with my see saw bottomed out on the top and the bottom, Thanks!

Full +

Full -

Old 03-04-2006, 03:51 AM
Gorgok

Default RE: Help with 3d Pitch and other questions!

Shortening the links that connect the see saw, as you put it, to the swash plate should give more negative, but it will also give less positive. This would be mainly to adjust the zero pitch position... but it will get more negative pitch.

After that, i'm not sure on how the links are on a raptor. Anything above the swash, connected to the flybar, will adjust the pitch as well. But i'm not sure which goes where on that bird.

Personally i experimented on my heli until i got it right. Just by removing a link, playing with the ball studs to see what would do what, then replacing that link and moving on to the next one.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 AM
chickenx5

ugg what do i tighten?
Old 03-04-2006, 06:25 AM
sceadu37

do the blade grips have 2 possible holes on them??

the sceadu does, but i dunno bout the raptor...

if so, move them to the inside holes... this will give you more pitch without fiddling with the linkages to start with
Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: chickenx5
Hi, i am setting up my 3d settings and right now this is my + and my - both at full up and one full down, the see saw is hitting top and bottom but im not sure if this is enough pitch to consider going inverted. I was wondering how to get more pitch even with my see saw bottomed out on the top and the bottom, Thanks!
Photos are subjective. What are the actual pitch angles at the blades (what does your pitch gage read)? That will tell you more than looking at a photo.

If you are getting a lot of positive pitch and so-so negative, then you might be able to sacrifice a degree or two off the top and give it to the negative side ... ie with blades at 0°, adjust the linkage to move the collective arm toward positive a couple mm's. This removes some of the positive throw and gives it over to the negative side.

IE If your max positive pitch is +14° and the max negative is -7°, then make the collective arm change to get something like +12° to -9°.

This trick was picked up in the "How to Build and Set Up Your Raptor 30 Helicopter" video.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 03-04-2006, 11:42 AM
chickenx5

i only use the built in pitch guage, and thats going to the max on the top, and bottom on the llow end
Old 03-04-2006, 04:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Get a pitch gauge, other wise you are shooting in the dark.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Gorgok

Yeah, you definately need a pitch gauge. For tuning a raptor there should be lots of info on http://www.raptortechnique.com/ .

They know much more about the raptor than i do.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 PM
tippy

chickenx5: ... i only use the built in pitch guage, and thats going to the max on the top, and bottom on the llow end ...
Please do as the others have said ... set your pitch via a pitch gage NOT the marks on the frame. The marks on the frame only tell you where the servo is. Since you can vary the relationship between servo position and blade pitch (via link adjustments) ... the marks on the frame are useless unless you measure the blade pitch to verify the pointer is correct.

This is why I posted ...
tippy: ... If you are getting a lot of positive pitch and so-so negative, then you might be able to sacrifice a degree or two off the top and give it to the negative side ... ie with blades at 0°, adjust the linkage to move the collective arm toward positive a couple mm's. This removes some of the positive throw and gives it over to the negative side. ...
This is how you can change the actual pitch without changing the pointer position or just the opposite ... you can put the pointer anywhere and still have 0 pitch. It's all about the blade pitch and not the pointer position.

Get the pitch gage, use the pitch gage, become one with the pitch gage.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 03-04-2006, 10:26 PM
chickenx5

allright guys after messign with it at the field i packed up and got a pitch guage turned out my pitch was 8+ 0 -9
Old 03-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Gorgok

You only need about 6 to hover, so you should be fine in both normal and inverted hover. Later you might want to get a little more positive pitch though. (Without sacrificing the negative.)