Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

my opinion/ experience on getting into helis

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

my opinion/ experience on getting into helis

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
rctradertwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my opinion/ experience on getting into helis

I have always flown airplanes and wanted to get into helis but everyone always said that they are so hard that you'll never be able to fly one. So iI kept on flying planes. I finally got an esky honeybee fixed pitch when they first came out. I paid $150 for one. I hovered it right out of the box with no problem. but when i took it out side to try forward flight it was useless. It would pitch up so bad that i would loose contol and the dirt brakes would come on. I sold that heli and bought a shogun 400 with brushless and original shaft drive. I ended up putting over $1000 into that pile of $%#$. Finally after i uprgraded everything on the heli I got it flying reliable enough to actually have fun with it. I started getting better at forward flight and started doing stall turns and almost going over into a loop. But every time I would it would get really unstable around 0 pitch and I would then be flying a rock and trying to gain control. I never did crash the shogun under normal conditions.....once put it in in gusting 20 mph winds (read idiotic). So I then sold the electric shogun inorder to fund my nitro project...... a raptor 50. I was thinking since i have mastered a small electric it would be easy for me to fly a nitro bird now....... I was wrong!!!!! I now have my Raptor 50 up and running and it is the EASIEST thing I have flown yet. I did this in an absolute opposite order than I should have. A raptor 50 would be the perfect learning tool (as long as you have the general knowledge of nitro engines and the basic workings of a heli). I found that the little parts on an electrics break easier and are more expensive than the bigger parts on a raptor. I do think that the electrics helped me but i also feel that I have learned just as much from FMS flight simulator. All I have done is waist money. I just put about $800 into a raptor, which is way less than everything I waisted in the electrics. I plan on getting another electric now that i have the experience to fly the more touchy electrics. As for the raptor, I built it in one day and had it up in the air then next day. all i had to do was to track the blades and now im having a blast with it. I have and os 50 sx engine and a futaba 240 gyro. i will be upgrading my servos and my gryo later when i get into more aggresive flying. Also, there just isnt anything like the huge 53" blades beating the air and smoke pouring out of the muffler instead of the annoying buzz of an electric. hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85048.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	420196  
Old 03-04-2006, 08:02 PM
rednekk58

Default RE: my opinion/ experience on getting into helis

Hey Rc , I totally agree. Kind of went the same route. Housefly, Trex plus upgades, all metal head, strech boom, metal tail rotor case, motors, on and on. Then bought a never been flown Venture .30 with all the electronics installed and ready to go. I had to buy a new receiver, the JR wasn't compatabile with my Eclipse radio. Easiest one to fly. I have done loops, rolls, stall turns, piruettes (sp) , and had my first crash tryinng to stay inverted to long, then panic and dumb thumbs. Next time I'll be higher. Just waiting for time to repair it. Parts came in two weeks ago! I have over twenty five years with rc airplanes. I never wanted to try helis because I thought they would be too complicated. I could go on and on.
Also this forum has been very helpful!! LOTS of knowledge when I need it. Sim helped to.

My $.02 worth.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:10 AM
RCer22

Yes it seems like alot of people go for the electrics because there're cheaper that the fuel powered ones. But in the long run it's the same old story you get what you pay for. By the time you buy the upgrades to get the thing to fly right you could have bought a notro and almost flew it right out of the box. And also the electrics don't handle the wind as well as the heavier nitros.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 AM
direstraits

ORIGINAL: rctradertwo

I have always flown airplanes and wanted to get into helis but everyone always said that they are so hard that you'll never be able to fly one. So iI kept on flying planes. I finally got an esky honeybee fixed pitch when they first came out. I paid $150 for one. I hovered it right out of the box with no problem. but when i took it out side to try forward flight it was useless. It would pitch up so bad that i would loose contol and the dirt brakes would come on. I sold that heli and bought a shogun 400 with brushless and original shaft drive. I ended up putting over $1000 into that pile of $%#$. Finally after i uprgraded everything on the heli I got it flying reliable enough to actually have fun with it. I started getting better at forward flight and started doing stall turns and almost going over into a loop. But every time I would it would get really unstable around 0 pitch and I would then be flying a rock and trying to gain control. I never did crash the shogun under normal conditions.....once put it in in gusting 20 mph winds (read idiotic). So I then sold the electric shogun inorder to fund my nitro project...... a raptor 50. I was thinking since i have mastered a small electric it would be easy for me to fly a nitro bird now....... I was wrong!!!!! I now have my Raptor 50 up and running and it is the EASIEST thing I have flown yet. I did this in an absolute opposite order than I should have. A raptor 50 would be the perfect learning tool (as long as you have the general knowledge of nitro engines and the basic workings of a heli). I found that the little parts on an electrics break easier and are more expensive than the bigger parts on a raptor. I do think that the electrics helped me but i also feel that I have learned just as much from FMS flight simulator. All I have done is waist money. I just put about $800 into a raptor, which is way less than everything I waisted in the electrics. I plan on getting another electric now that i have the experience to fly the more touchy electrics. As for the raptor, I built it in one day and had it up in the air then next day. all i had to do was to track the blades and now im having a blast with it. I have and os 50 sx engine and a futaba 240 gyro. i will be upgrading my servos and my gryo later when i get into more aggresive flying. Also, there just isnt anything like the huge 53" blades beating the air and smoke pouring out of the muffler instead of the annoying buzz of an electric. hope this helps.
went the exact same route. could never get the small electric to hover!!!! now flying evo 30 with no problem.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

Ditto.... still trying to get my Hummingbird V2 to hover properly (but only upgrade I've made is to Li-Poly battery pack to reduce weight). But I now have an X-Cell 60 S.T. almost ready for it's 1st sip of nitro!!!!

From my point of view, the micro electrics work well at getting people #1 interested in model heli's and #2 buying a model heli. They're cheap and that alone makes them appealing to beginners.... ie. if it doesn't work out and you destroy it or just find it's not interesting, you haven't lost alot of money (unless of course you pour money into it doing upgrade after upgrade to try and make it fly like a larger sized nitro heli... hehehehe! [>:]). So they smaller heli's are good at convincing people to get their feet wet and at least try a heli. I think in many cases the little heli's lead to the bigger better heli's and that IMHO makes them worth while.

Micro and other small electric heli's manufacturers could do a *much* better job at making the things more fliable out of the box though! To date the only 1 I've heard much good about, straight outta the box, is that Blade CP. Almost every other one seems to require so many upgrades to become truely flight worthy that a person could have afforded a nice sized nitro bird by the time they get enough upgrades done to fly the blasted bugger! [:@]

- Michael
Old 03-26-2006, 08:28 PM
rednekk58

I had a real hard time with the Blade CP. Too touchy. Moved the linkage on the servo arms in one hole. The radio that comes with it doesn't have dual rates. THAT would help beginners alot. Ended up using my Hitec Eclipse radio for it. MUCH better!!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 PM
HP03 BlackHawk

Does the Hitec transmitter work with the Blade CP's original 4-in-1 receiver or did you have to do something there?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:12 AM
dacaur

I agree with Michael211 on small electrics getting people into the hobby.. I had always wanted to try a heli but stayed away due to the high cost of entry and not knowing if I really would like it/could do it.. then one day was surfing ebay and saw a walkera #4 for $115 shipped to my door.... Bought it and never regreted it....
Right now im flying a BCX, and im about a week away from buying an optic 6 radio and a t-rex kit... I decided to skip the blade CP and go for the bigger rex for better handling.... I would love a nitro bird and maby someday I'll get one... but for now an electric is all the fits for several reasons... I dont have anyplace to store a large dirty nitro bird (living in an apt) I dont have anyplace to fly a noisy nitro bird (I do my flying in local parks) Dont have room to fly a nitro bird (SMALL local parks)...

But when it comes down to it, if not for that first walkera #4, I would never have gotten into heli's at all
Old 03-27-2006, 12:25 AM
walter2323

I'm with dacaur. I'm sure the big nitros would be a lot of fun, but it's just not practical for me. I live in an apartment, my car is a compact hatchback, and I don't have a workspace to do real maintainance. I can set up and repair my little blade CP on my dining room table and test it out in my tiny living room, then take it out to the street or a nearby park for some hovering practice. There's no way I could do that with a nitro - I'd be flying less than once a week if I had a .50.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Mikes machines

I went about the same route. Started with a Piccolo FP spent about $1000.00 on it to try and make it flyable. Even after that much money it was just barely hoverable. Definately would not recommend a Piccolo. Then I bought a used Shuttle 30 nitro. Quite a learning curve, after about $700.00 over the purchase price it flys ok. Next was a Trex. Now this one flew pretty good but I have over $1000.00 in it. My brother just bought the newest SE model. This flys really nice and is definatley a good machine. The SE is a good learner and I would recommend it to anyone starting out but it is not really cheap. I have just completed an Evo 50. One trim and break in flight so far due to weather. This is the most stable machine I have ever flown. Very confidence inspiring. But I have close to $2000.00 in it. The cheap electrics are appealing but if I had it to do over again I would not have done it the same way. Even during the expensive learning curve I would still be further ahead with the Evo.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:28 PM
rednekk58

Hey Blackhawk,
Worked fine, mine is on channel 19. now I can use expo and curves, etc....
Old 03-30-2006, 08:14 PM
FORGED

nitro all the way, then T rex from align they are a great little elec heli and it comes with its own aluminium case
Old 03-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Caedo
My Feedback: (3)

I'm one of those guys too that was sucked in to the low price of electrics, but my situation was different - deployed to Iraq. I got started on a FEDA FP Dragonfly. After that I bought a Hornet II and finally got a used rappy 30 with some major upgrades. I can barely hover the electrics, but with 5+ months on reflex xtr in OIF I had that rappy hovering steady, 3 days & 3 tanks this week. Would have been more, but weather sucks. Next I'm looking at the rappy 90 SE.