Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Sand areas

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Gage.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand areas

Ok well i live by a school and they have a soccer field of sand and wondered if it woud hurt my heli to blow the sand into it and what not.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:39 AM
InsightGoalie

Default RE: Sand areas

Sand and heli's dont usually mix... I don't see what would be different about a RC heli. Too many gears, spinning parts and wind.

Fun fact: In Desert Storm for every hour of flight the AH-64 Apache needed 10 hours of maintenance due to sand.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 AM
RCer22

You were just wondering what sand would do to delicately balanced easily damaged flying machine such as a helicopter with moving parts all over the place?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:04 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Stuff like gears is alright, it's usually bearings + ball links that sand doesn't get along well with.

You CAN fly in sand, but the grains in the sand will wear your components down that much quicker, so obviosuly, most people don't . Why risk your bird if you don't have to?