Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Blade cp and age

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:28 PM
im2kool4u17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade cp and age

So ive been into nitro trucks(savage) and wanted to get one of these mini helis. Im 13 and was lookin at the blade cp. So my question is am i too young for these things? Cuz ive only seen a lot of older people flying helis but they were nitro so i thot i would get one of the smaller electric ones.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
walter2323

Default RE: Blade cp and age

Probably the reason you see older people flying helis is that they become pretty expensive. I have a blade CP (which is tons of fun) but almost every time I try to hover it I make a mistake and crash it, which so far seems to cost at least $20 per crash. Bigger helis of course are much more expensive to fix.

I'm sure you could learn. I think patience is very very important with these things though, unless you're naturally talented and manage to fly it straight out of the box. Most of my mistakes have come from getting over-excited and doing something beyond my abilities (even something stupid like deciding to just take off from some odd place I landed in instead of picking it up and moving it back to a safer launching spot). If you're young you might be less patient than us old people, but you probably also learn faster....

ORIGINAL: im2kool4u17

So ive been into nitro trucks(savage) and wanted to get one of these mini helis. Im 13 and was lookin at the blade cp. So my question is am i too young for these things? Cuz ive only seen a lot of older people flying helis but they were nitro so i thot i would get one of the smaller electric ones.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Walter pretty much spelled it out. It's mostly older folks because you need a steady stream of money to really fly them, more so when you're learning, even alot of them have trouble affording them! I sure as hell can't afford this hobby, but hey, that hasn't stopped me so far. Atleast, untill the bank comes after me..

That said, small electrics are MUCH cheaper to learn on compared to most nitro birds. The average crash might cost you $20 or $30 on a micro, the average crash on a nitro will cost you upwards of $80 on a small .30 size, and subsantially more on a bigger one.

Aslong as you don't mind shelling out some money afterwards on the kit, then i'd say go for it. Even more so if you're a disciplined learner and use something like RAD's guide to heli flying. Using methods like that you can really minimize, if not get rid of totally, crash costs.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:03 PM
im2kool4u17

ok ill go for it. and what are the most likely things to break?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:10 PM
rmbler

You probably will have a much easier time learning to fly heli's them some of us older people cause if like most kids you are into Xbox type games witch is very helpful for eye hand coordination. As far as parts you will break blades tail motors will burn out skids as well. Do yourself a favor spend an additional $10.00 and get training gear. Hope this helps
Regards,
Phil
Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Raylon

Same here man, jus turned 16, and you won't believe how fast these things break the bank. Got the CP, crashed once, now I am waiting for fund to fix it though. Got about 20 flights before my little mess up, which wasn't even my fault, electronic interferance, and I need a few more parts. CP is good way to go. All that video gaming wasn't a waste!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM
rmbler

Another note of interest i have a hirobo lama sr blade cx blade cp and blinged out T-Rex once you learn to fly the BCP something like a t-rex will seem soooo easy you just won't believe it you won't have to ever chase the tail again.
Phil.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
I.C.O.N.
My Feedback: (1)

I bought a BCX a couple weeks ago to learn on.

It is really a lot of fun and you can practice in the house whenever you want.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:06 AM
kerryj

Was thinking about getting the blade cx, but the local hobby shop said I might out grow it quick. They
recommended the cp. Other opinions?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:51 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

They weren't lieing to you. The blade CX pretty much flies it's self. It's a VERY stable helicopter. Depending on what you want from the hobby, you may very well get bored of the CX as they're naturally so stable that they only require minimal input to fly around.

If all you want is soemthing to hover around inside your room without any intention of furthering your skills, the CX would fit the bill perfectly, but if you want something a bit more capable that will grow with your skills (within reason, don't expect miracles from the blade cp) the blade CP will be a better choice, but it will be substantially harder to fly in comparison.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:24 PM
flaXen

I'm a Blade CP owner and 1st time heli pilot. I also bought the G3 flight sim and fly in it regularly. For a beginner, I'd strongly advise _against_ the Blade CP in favor of the CX. The CX wasn't out when I got my CP, but if it was I'd probably have started with it. There's a lot of hand/eye coordination skill to be gained before the CP is a likely toy for most people I'd say.

In my opinion, the first major hurtle to get over for an amateur is maintaining level flight with a focus on the cyclic controls (both rolling directions). This is complicated by the CP's notoriously unstable tail. Flying the tail is _not_ simple for a beginner especially while having to focus on the cyclic to keep the heli level. I'd say, until you're extremely comfortable with level tail-in, nose-in, side-in hovers, and can hover in a small box, you're probably not ready for the CP.

Also, the CP isn't exactly "RTF out of the box", or at least... mine wasn't. I had to flip a few washers around in the head and use a lot of graphite to solve the sticky collective problem that caused a lot of jumping & ducking for me while hovering. I'd also say the CP has a lot more parts to break right-off the bat. It's oh-so-easy to tap your tail fan on the ground while landing and either crack a blade or snap its attachment pegs off.