Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Starting Heli Flying

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Heli Flying

Hi, I am going to start flying helicopters this coming flying season. I wanted to start for a while now and will this season. I been flying many sectors of RC airplane for the last 15 years but never flew a helicopter before.
I am getting a Blade CX. Not knowing much about helicopters, but being a good RC airplane pilot, will I need any help with flying it??? Any websites I can go on. the instuctional CD will help probably.
I was also thinking about getting the trainer landing gear for it with the balls on the end that E-flite makes. will that help at all?? Or should i just use the stock landing gear. I fly alot, so this would get flown alot till I learn how to fly it good. Should I order any spare parts awhile. After this I will probably go to the Blade CP, then to a glow heli like a raptor.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 03-21-2006, 01:09 AM
skyad

Default RE: Starting Heli Flying

first get yourself a flight sim practice on it the jump right into a 30 or 50 nitro the blade is only good inside or no wind days. if u want electric go t rex
Old 03-21-2006, 01:16 AM
sparky814_hawk

If you have RC experience a Blade CP is the way to go. I have 18 plus years experience and got a Blade CP for my first heli. I was hovering in 3 battery packs. It is not easy by any means and you will crash, but I think with your experience you will find the CX boring. It can practically fly itself. I like the little CP and it has all the same controls as a larger electric and nitro heli which is my next venture in heli flying. I figured I should get something that I can learn on that would prepare me for a larger scale bird and the CP has done that hands down!!
Old 03-21-2006, 02:46 AM
Gorgok

Also, unless you have electric running equipment, i would suggest straight to nitro. (Thats assuming you flew nitro airplanes.)

If you do have electric running gear, then i would suggest, as Skyad said, going to something like a Trex. It will grow better than the Blade CP. The Blade CX is more like a toy than a heli... I would compare it to a tether airplane.

I had never flown any helis before, but after break in on my nitro heli i was able to hover it on my first flight tank. I had training gear on just incase, but never really needed them. Sim time really helped alot... i think i had about 10-15 hours of practice on a sim before that flight.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:26 PM
CXela22

Ok i own a CX
if u never had a heli CX is for u! A common excuse is it gets boring after a while, pashaw, forget it. Its a good starter. if ur location is windy, CX is not for u.
Its built to fly in a 2-car garage and even your living room. Once you are on it for 3-4 months swich to the CP. Thats my plan, because according to my friend his swich from CX to CP was hard. Hope I helped!

P.S. CX has no trainer needed. U can easily lear uself, and crashes are in-expensive
And I never needed the training gear, and it was my first heli.