Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Daddyo314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

i am trying to balance my wooden blades but am curious on to see which are better, carbon blades or wooden blades. are the carbon stronger and more precise after balancing them or is there no difference
Old 03-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Daddyo314

i am trying to balance my wooden blades but am curious on to see which are better, carbon blades or wooden blades. are the carbon stronger and more precise after balancing them or is there no difference
Carbon blades are built to higher standards, are straighter (and thus track better in flight), lighter and more rigid than woodies. Of course, they cost a little more and will most likely snap in a crash. If you're just learning to fly, woodies are preferred due to their low price and they may survive a crash or two... but woodies will never fly nearly as sweet as carbon fiber blades do.

ps. Over time, if they survive long enough, wooden blades will start to warp and are very difficult to keep in track. But, like I said they're cheap so....

- Michael
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Kadath

So I was able to make two booms from arrows after all. The problem was that one end of all the arrows was consistently smaller than the rest of the shaft. Once the bearing was inserted passed about one inch, it was able to slide freely in the shaft. Also, when I cut the arrow to the proper length, the bearing would insert very easily through the cut end.

Hopefully these arrows will make stronger booms and boom strikes will be less frequent.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Michael211

Ah-hah! That explains alot then... when I've made tail tubes from Easton arrow's, I always cut my tube's to length before trying to stick bearings in. [:-]

The arrow is made of a much harder stiffer aluminum; it will not bend.... but this has no bearing on whether you have boom strikes or not (that's all in your blades and head). If you do have a boom strike it's still going to be ugly no matter what! You can double-up on the rubber o-ring dampners in each side of the head to reduce the blades ability to tilt down so far as to strike the boom, and of course always make sure your blade bolts are snugged down (but not tightened down!).

Anyhows, glad you got things sorted out. Have fun and be careful!

- Michael
Old 03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Michael211

Hey guys, Hobby-Lobby has the Faclon 3D parts on deep discounted sale right now... tail tubes for like $6 (originally they were like $16 or so) and the like.

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/parts-falcon.htm]Falcon 3D spare parts sale[/link]

The sale just started this weekend. They usually seem to keep these sales going for about a full week (or until they run out of parts to sale).

Regards!

- Michael
Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 AM
lippucci

What are you using for a replacement battery? Some expensive stuff out there. Anyone got a source for some inexpensive ones?

Norm
Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Simages

Have tried HobbyCity?
ORIGINAL: lippucci

What are you using for a replacement battery? Some expensive stuff out there. Anyone got a source for some inexpensive ones?

Norm
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Michael211

You can also look around www.All-Battery.com for a good pack that'll fit the F3D. I've bought from them before and had excellant service... looks like the 1500mah packs I got from them last year are out of stock right now though (but they have many different pack sizes to choose from). Wish I could point you directly to a good pack, but like I said they're out of the packs I've been using. [:@]

- Michael
Old 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM
mikek0416

you might consider stocking up on my clearance parts plus there is an addtional 25% off coupon upon check out ....recap... (lower case) on all sales orders of anything greater than $20.

ka-planes.com

I also have a couple of parts helis not listed - email [email protected] if interested
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 AM
gerry01

I've been using a couple of cheap lipos,

1500 mAh - 20C: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9273
1300 mAh - 20C: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9272

Both fit the Falcon, both gave me good flight time. For less then $ 10 $, it's worth trying. Mailing costs are low, $ 5 for a 200 gr pack.

Gerry.-
Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Michael211

That 1500mah 20-30C pack from HK would be a really good one for the F3D! It's the same dimensions as the Tenergy packs I'm using, but looks like a higher burst discharge rating than mine. 10 to 12 minutes of flight time can be expected with this size pack.

Regards!

- Michael
Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Uncle Chop Chop

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried a different main frame for the falcon 3d? It's just that I'm going to resurrect her and I didn't particularly fancy the original as it tends to warp and is generally not a solid robust frame. It'd be nice to find a perfect cf frame for her but anything but the factory will do....unless I've got no other option.

Thanks in advance. Seems a pity just sitting their collecting dust when she could be getting nose planted in dirt again.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM
m82a1pa

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if anyone is monitoring these threads anymore, hopefully so. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions and/or guidance.

I bought a 3D four or five years ago, along with a Copilot. Since I had/have no experience with flying heli's, I also picked up a RotoFly to learn on before destroyig the 3D.

And so they sat. I had hoped to run across someone near York, PA that flew but never did.

So now I've decided to crank up the RotoFly in hopes of getting proficient enough to at least get the 3D off the ground.

I have yet to turn on the 3D, but I did get out the transmitter to play with it. Wouldn't you know it, the first time I used the right control (pitch cyclic) the post holding the spring on the gimble broke off. I've yet to find a plastic cement that works with whatever plastic it's made from. I'm going to try some JB Weld in the next few days. If that fails, maybe there's someone here that might have a transmitter they'd like to sell. I really don't want to throw more money into a new transmitter/receiver since 3D parts are scarce.

Which leads to my question: what are my current choices in something comparable to the 3D now?

Thanks,

Mort Denison
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Michael211

I still have an extra Falcon 3D 72 mhz transmitter/receiver here if you need it. I put XPS receivers in both my Falcon's and use that with a Futaba 10C radio instead of the Art-Tech radio the Falcon came with. Just PM me.

I still fly my night Falcon 3D sometimes, and I'm looking for another better gyro (Walkera GX02 preferrably) for my daytime Falcon.

ps. some Falcon 3D parts are still available on Ebay.

- Michael
Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM
m82a1pa

Thanks for the reply, Michael. I decided to reinforce and fasten the spring anchor with JB Weld. It seems to be holding up, but I'll get back with you if my fix breaks. It almost wound up against the wall trying to get the spring hooked back up.

That Futaba 10C looks to be like a nice rig. I'd consider getting one if I had some confidence in learning to fly this thing.

Or I'd consider something like this: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260832147856&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT]T-Rex 450 and Futaba[/link]

I'd like to know if that's a good price or not. The video of some guy flying one was really impressive!