Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 Co co Lama good for beginner???? >

Co co Lama good for beginner????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Co co Lama good for beginner????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
xe2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Co co Lama good for beginner????

I'm interested in an indoor heli for a beginner: something that's manageable and easy to fly. something that I can fly at home and learn the orientation and basic controls. something with a low frustration learning curve. Any thoughts on the co co lama or any suggestions on other models?

Thanks,
Bert
Old 08-31-2006, 05:13 AM

Default RE: Co co Lama good for beginner????

The Lama 2 is good for the beginners. [link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/zoom.php?id=14]Check this to see how it fly[/link]
Old 09-03-2006, 03:12 PM

I just bought a lama a couple days ago and i have flown it 4 times without any major difficulty. It takes alot of concentration to fly a heli but the lama is alot eaier than my first frustrating attempt at rc helis. I had a smartech aerohawk and crashed it so many times it just fell apart. I gutted that and used the servos and receiver in a gws tigermoth.
But anyway, i would highly reccomend this because i have had the best luck with this and am already improving after four flights. I think it is a great beginners heli because i am a beginner and i can fly it pretty well.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:37 PM

I've had an Esky Lama2 (aka coco lama) for about 1 year now. I have been totally happy with it. It is very easy to fly, and can take some serious abuse as well.

Considering that you can find them online for around $99, I don't think there is a better 'bang for your buck' trainer style heli out there...

I now own a Blade CP, and have a Falcon 3D on the way, but I still like to fly my lama quite a lot. It's fun to take it to work, and fly around over the top of all the cubicles
Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM

id say either that one or the blade cx

have fun
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 PM

I love my lama, it was a wonderful starter for me and it still fly’s 7 months and countless crashes later. It really is a lot of fun. And well worth the price.
My lama movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Y6D3UmOgo
Old 09-09-2006, 10:36 AM

Here's mine flying, they are FUN! http://media.putfile.com/CoCo-Lama-flying-in-the-house

Gary
Old 09-13-2006, 12:08 AM
xe2

Thanks everyone for the replies. I purchased a Lama v3 for $99.00 plus shipping. Great little heli, my wife named it Thumblina. Within two days I was able to trim it out, get it to lightly hover with the front of the skids still on the floor and hold the tail reasonably straight. On the 3rd day I got it up about 6 inches then lowered throttle and set it back down. Then the problems began. I got it back up to about six inches, began to throttle back but Thumblina kept climbing. I cut the throttle all the way, but she still climbed, no response from right or left stick controls. At about the six foot level she began a slow decent, at about four feet the rotor stopped turning and she made a hard!!! landing on the skids and flopped on her side. I disconnected the battery and turned the TX off. A couple of minutes latter I powered up the TX and reconnected the battery. After calibration, I gave her 1/3 throttle and backed the power off. The second time I did that the power stayed at 1/3 throttle and wouldn't shut down even though the stick was at off power. Two minutes latter, while laying on the floor I did a hand walk under the blades to disconnect the battery. Next day I shipped it back to Nitro Planes for repairs. Anyone else have a similar problem??

Any ideas as to what the problem is? The heli calibrates just fine and gives a solid green light.

Bert
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM

I started the same way as Planiac89 with a aerohawk. I almost could almost fly for about 30 sec but then I had a bad crash and hobby-lobby stoped carrying the aerohawk. About a month ago I bought a Lama V3 and it has been great. Just give your self some room for the first couple of flights and get to know it and trim it out.

Rsiaviation
ORIGINAL: Planiac89

I just bought a lama a couple days ago and i have flown it 4 times without any major difficulty. It takes alot of concentration to fly a heli but the lama is alot eaier than my first frustrating attempt at rc helis. I had a smartech aerohawk and crashed it so many times it just fell apart. I gutted that and used the servos and receiver in a gws tigermoth.
But anyway, i would highly reccomend this because i have had the best luck with this and am already improving after four flights. I think it is a great beginners heli because i am a beginner and i can fly it pretty well.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:11 PM

Hey Guys,

I would love a lama but I can't find it for $100.00 anywhere. Where are you guys getting it for that cheap?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 PM

GSYYZ,

Go to www.xheli.com they have them for $99. I just bought a Blade CP tonight and hovered it for a little bit... I need to adjust is some and finish getting it trimmed out, but I am thinking of getting one of the CoCo Lamas also.

Jason
Old 10-22-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks Jason,

xheli.com actually can compete against ebay. I'm ordering one asap. Wish me luck! One question guys, what extra parts should I order just in case?

Glenn
Old 11-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Get extra blades, top and bottom, and get an extra battery. The E-Flight 7.4V 800mAh 2-Cell Li-Po, JST/Balance: BCX/2 battery for the Blade CX works as well as if not better then the stock battery.