Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Cheap micros worth it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Cheap micros worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Motoduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap micros worth it?

While I'm a firm believer in you-get-what-you-pay-for, I have to ask anyways....

With Xmas coming up, I'm looking at inexpensive rc helis for my kids and myself. On Ebay, and assorted online hobby outlets, is see plenty of simple and cheap 2 or 3 channel micros available for less than $50. Usually twin rotor "easy to fly" types that recharge off the transmitter or landing pad. My question is, are they even worth fussing with?

I've had some experience (last Christmas) with one of these from Radio Shack (Yeah, I know better than to buy anything from Radio Shack, but it was the only one I could find at the time). I think it was called a Swingblade or something like that. It was rather disappointing. While it almost worked, not all of the spare parts I needed (from crash damage) were available. Mainly the main rotor hub.

Do all of the cheap micros/minis tend to be the same?

Thanks for any insight you folks can give me.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:12 PM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Cheap micros worth it?

as i sat reading your post.. i looked up and the link i wanted was staring at me http://www.nitroplanes.com/drkimimi3rar.html <those are absolutely great.. i dinked and dropped mine more than one time and it flies to this day crash kits are cheap tho .. i actually never needed one they arent the most reponsive things for forward and reverse movement BUT they are designed to teach not impress your friends IMO if you want to go elcheapo .. thats your winner

you do get what you pay for..... but sometimes you get much more than what youve paid
Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Motoduck

Thanks, Turbo

That's one of the models I was looking at. And it sounds like you have had good luck with it. I'm not too worried about responsiveness, just some basic reliable, and controllable flight.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
ReactorTrip

Save your money and invest in something like the lama, I got one for $110 with shipping and an extra battery. I had one of these 3 channels and returned it. I have only had the lama 1 day and have fell in love with it.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:05 AM
rjm1982

If you want to fly real helis (well, bigger rc helies i mean) than dont invest in a 2 or 3 channel bird.

Pick up a blade CX2, around 200 dollars.

If you just want something to toy around with and never fly anything more, than they are great fun, but the littles ones teach you nothing of the big ones...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 AM
ReactorTrip

Lama is pretty much a cheaper CX2 without a few bells and whistles. That would be a good way to save some cash.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Motoduck

Thanks everyone,

I've been looking at the Lama and CX for myself. But right now I'm buying for 4 kids. So price IS a big concern. None of them are seriously into RC (yet) anyways. Just thought this would be something cool that they will enjoy playing with. Something like the Dragonfly can be picked up damn cheap at Hobbytron.com for something like $21 each if I buy a lot of 6. Which is probably what I'll go with for now. Then move on to something more serious....
Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 PM
neweheliflyer

Go for the [link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/zoom.php?id=14]Lama 2 or Blade CX[/link].
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Jellyson

Yeah, six Dragonflys all in the air at once--you've got to post a picture of that.

_Then_ go get a Blade CX2.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 PM
J-Cube

The Lama V3 is a fun way to really get into helis. Just get some different xtals though!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Jellyson

The Blade CX2 uses the Spektrum 2.4 GHz system--no more crystals, fly with your friends, no worries, no glitches.
And it will outmaneuver the Heli-Max AXE or the Lama.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Motoduck

Well, I've already ordered the dragonflys ( I like your vision of six in the air at once, Jellyson!). I'm expecting them to be good clean family room entertainment. But I'll let you all know when they get here.

But yeah, this is just a cheap stepping stone into better helis. Oddly enough, I already have a Spektrom 2.4! I use it for a r/c motorcycle and small plane. It's a great system.