Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Original Shuttle.. out of retirement

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Original Shuttle.. out of retirement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Gwenzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Shuttle.. out of retirement

I need a few tips on getting an original shuttle out of unintentional retirement ... heres the story in a nut shell...
Many years ago I bought the Shuttle and Futaba radio NIB. I put it all together and ran out of money so I could not afford a gyro or training stand. I thought, heck, I can fly it without all that stuff (yes a total dweeb I was). So after getting it fired up I tried to lift off but just before leaving terra firma the tail rotor couldn't keep up at full stick. So I made adjustments to the tail rotor pitch and tried again. This time the tail could keep up but the Shuttle began to tip ...so afraid of a ground strike on the main rotor I backed off, shut down and put the heli on top of the shelf until I could afford a gyro and stand. Then life got in the way and now many, many years later I'm finally looking at this virginal machine and thinking that after the holidays I want to pull it out of retirement, go through the whole beast and check engine bearings and condition, re-battery the heli and radio, check electronics, servos, etc., get a stand and gyro, and fly this beastie. I figure getting parts for such an old model will be near impossible but I gotta try.

Now the questions:
Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent gyro for the shuttle?
A recommendation for a good training stand would be appreciated also.
Any tips on performing resurrection service to heli is dearly appreciated too.

G.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Shuttle RG

Default RE: Original Shuttle.. out of retirement

Awesome! Bring it back to life. Parts are readily available:

[link=http://www.rcheli.com/]Rick's[/link]
[link=http://www.heliproz.com/]HeliProz[/link]
[link=http://www.zoomsheli.com/]ZoomsHeli[/link]
Last but not least...
[link=http://modelrectifier.com/]MRC[/link]

If you still have the manual for it, you can enter the part# in ZoomsHeli's search and it will take you right to it. Let me know if you don't have a manual, they're online too but I'll have to search for the links.

As for the gyro, get a Futaba GY401 for it, you won't regret it.

The best training stand is the Roto-Pod Deluxe. Here is one on ebay... [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotopod-Deluxe-Heli-training-pods-Carbon-Fiber_W0QQitemZ160060688970QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3405 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]RotoPod on Ebay[/link]

Just take your time and verify every nut, bolt and screw is tight. Thoroughly test out the electronics. I would want to run at least a couple of tanks of fuel through the engine before trying to fly it.

Good Luck and let us hear about your progress.

Clark
Old 12-11-2006, 02:50 PM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

I'll give you $50 for it.

Have fun, a .30 shuttle was my very first heli. Great flier.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Gwenzilla

Clark,
thanks for the info and recommendations. It is much appreciated. I hope to start checking out all the mechanics soon after the holiday season, my son will love to help with that. Then scrape together the fund$ needed to buy the gyro, training gear, and consumables (batts and fuel). Then if I can get the electronics wrung out and, as you suggested, run a couple of tanks to see her twist again, then I'll get busy learning how to fly this thing (or worst result... give the remains to my son as a repair project!) One way or another it'll be off that shelf eh?

Huminski,
Thanks for your generous offer, however I think that I'll hang on to it, its become a personal quest to get it in the air and fly it, or have fun making a parts heap out of it trying. If the latter is the outcome I'll give you first pick of any of the pieces you might be interested in.

Wish me luck boys.
G.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:55 PM
piroflip2

please don't bother with the training stand.

to me, learning how to hover (and now teaching others) was/is a great challenge not to be missed.

make some training u/c from dowel and ping pong balls and go for it.