Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

OK, Heli is really messed up, help please!?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

OK, Heli is really messed up, help please!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 AM
davidank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, Heli is really messed up, help please!?

I have a honeybee CP2, that flew pretty good out of the box with some simpel blade balancing and blade tracking, but I had to mess with things as I always do.

I wanted it to fly better so I attempted to do the thing where you unplug both motors from the 4 in 1 and adjust the swash plate and etc. I started to adjust the control arms thinking that it would get my servo arms completely level since theyre were not exactly level, and no matter what they did they didn't get level, so I thought then hmmm these don't adjust the servo arms they completely control the swash plate (right??)

Anyway, after trying to get the swash back to level best I could I plugged the motors back in the wrong way in the 4-1 and the heli spun like crazy clockwise. I then unplugged and replugged them back in with the polarities correct and the heli still spins clockwise like crazy, but I am thinking things are now not level and etc on the heli and this may be the cause?

I know that the blades are at different angles from each other (one points down to the floor more than the other) by looking at the heli. With the 'unplug the motors' thing, and putting the tx in iddle up and all sticks and trims in center, the blades should be at 'zero' pitch, right? SO I need to adjust the blade pitch adjusters until I reach zero pitch on each blade and then track them right? Could this balde pitch thing be the cause of the issue of the heli spinning like this?

Also, after I just put on my super skids I ordered from heli direct, I am pretty sure with the stock skids the heli wasn't like this, but looking at the heli with the nose facing me, the heli (main gear and motor and 4-1 etc) lean to the right (they aren't level, some of the heli is level it seems but the main gear nad main shaft is leaning a bit right, I never crashed this heli also) as in the heli doesn't look like it is sitting level (If I lift the right skid up a bit, about 1/4 inch, then things look level), this needs to be fixed I assume?? I think I have to adjust the landing skids somehow, but not sure how since all things are connected right according to the instructions, I would assume the heli should sit level.

Needless to say, I appreciate any and all advice on where to start (step one before step 4) so I can ge my heli back on track and so I can fly it. It sucks not being able to fly and trying to figure out whqt the heck is going on.

Is it the blade pitch that can be causing the heli to spin like crazy clockwise?

Also, it seems whatever I did, the RPM's have increased on the honeybee CP2, so that the blades seem to spin faster and earlier in the pitch curve since I started messing with the swash plate. I have no ide ho I messes with the pitch/throttle curves if I did.

HELP HELP! things are really messed up with my honeybee!

Where should I start to getting my heli trimmed perfectly so It will fly, as right now it will not fly and jsut spins clockwise with a lot of force and rpm's.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: OK, Heli is really messed up, help please!?

First of all the swashplates height determines how much pitch you have on your blades. so when you change the length of the servo arms your technically tinkering with the pitch curve.

Set the swashplate level, use a pitch gauge if you have one and set the blades to 0 pitch, unplug the motors and turn on the transmitter and center the throttle stick. Adjust your servo arms until you get it back to 0 pitch and the swashplate is level ( make sure your trims are centered). That setup might not be exact but it will get you close to where you have to go. Its been so long since i had a honey bee i cant remember the exact settings.

As far as it spinning out of control, you must of reversed both the main motor and tail motor connections (when you tried to fix it), and only one of the connections was actually backwards. So now you have one correct but the other is not. The main blades should spin clockwise.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 AM
davidank

paedbo thanks for your reply!

HOw do I make sure the swash plate is level to where it should be leveled? Is the best absolute way to use a small level of some sort? If not a level what about eyeing it up level to the floor/table top? I am asking because if the heli is not exactly level (which it seems mine is not since I put on the aftermarket landing gear and it seems the main gear and main shaft lean a bit to the right with the nose facing me), do I still make sure though the swash plate is level with the ground? (My swash plate looks level to me, but is it really level to where it needs to be?).

Also, about making my blades at zero pitch, I adjust the blade pitch links from the swash plate to the top of the head until the blades are zero? (I don't have a pitch gauge yet but I am biddingon one on ebay so I hoep to have it soon). Since I dont have a pitch gauge yet I can make sure athe blades are eye'd level.

The fly bar will it naturally be level with the blades if the baldes are at zero pitch or is there something else I need to adjust for the fly bar to be leveld too?

What could I have done to make the rpm's faster on my heli? It seems the tail and main blades spin much MUCh faster than they origionally did.

Thanks gain for the advice!!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM
cyclicoverload

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want the swashplate level to the frame of the heli, the top just under the swashplate. The reason the RPM's are so fast is becuse you have flatened out the pitch, if the head had the same pitch as before the drag from that will slow down the head speed. Yes you can eyeball the pitch, it will be very close and good enuff to work, just reset it after you get the gauge.
The flybar is linked to the blade grips with a dogbone that is not adjustable so thay will follow the blade pitch to a certain extent, if thay are not exact after your done find the set screws that lock the bar down and fine tune from there.
As you get the swashplate back to norm. the flybar will follow, as long you keep your adjustments to the same parts you messed with before you wont have a hard time getting it back to norm. Only adjust what you adjusted before and you will get it right back in.