Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Quick Gyro Question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:48 PM
MaxHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Gyro Question!

I need a quick awsner because I want t get this baby off the ground

The Gyro wont "snyc or talk" to the reciever. When I read the gyro directions (Futaba GY401) it says that the reciever needs to be in a AVCS mode. I looked on the radio (Spektrum DX7) and cannot find the AVCS mode. Keep in mind i have nothing digital on my falcon radio

So in the end when I whip the helicopter (on) the gyro does not react at all to my sudden whips of the tails.

Any ideas would be great.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default RE: Quick Gyro Question!

The receiver doesn't have an AVCS mode the gyro does and its indicated by a steady light. The gain and mode of the gyro is controlled by the channel where the single wire is plugged in.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/team/team-tip-002.html or
http://www.raptortechnique.com (lots of generic info on this site, look around for his gyro setup, one of the JR setups will apply to the dx7)
Old 12-31-2006, 09:34 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: MaxHeli

I need a quick awsner because I want t get this baby off the ground

The Gyro wont "snyc or talk" to the reciever. When I read the gyro directions (Futaba GY401) it says that the reciever needs to be in a AVCS mode. I looked on the radio (Spektrum DX7) and cannot find the AVCS mode. Keep in mind i have nothing digital on my falcon radio

So in the end when I whip the helicopter (on) the gyro does not react at all to my sudden whips of the tails.

Any ideas would be great.
As barracudahockey said, the gyro connector with the single wire is the mode/sensitivity control for the gyro.

The DX7 [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM2710_DX7_Manual.pdf]manual [/link] can be found at the Spektrum site for the [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2712]DX7[/link].

PG 65, Gyro connections - tells where the gyro gain channel (single wire connector) can be plugged into ... ch5 (gear) or ch7 (AUX2).
PG73/74, Input Select, selects which channel and switch controls the gyro mode/sense.
PG90, REVO, mix for tail rotor when NOT in AVCS. Ensure this is turned off during AVCS mode.
PG91, Gyro Sense, Settings for mode selection, sensitivity, and manual or automatic switching.

Prior to powering on your heli, ensure your TX is on and is "commanding" AVCS or HH mode first. Then power on your heli/gyro, The gyro LED will blink and then go steady if all is well.

Review your 401 LED flash codes ... they will tell you whats going on with the gyro.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Jellyson

The "GER" channel in your DX7 sets the gyro gain and the mode. It does it by setting the "servo travel limits" in that channel's travel limit menu. Put the "GER" channel on one of the toggle switches. For most gyros the negative travel limit will be the SR gain and the positive travel limit will be the HH gain. Futaba's "AVCS" is equivalent to one of these gain types, sort of.
Just imagine that the gyro remote gain function is a "servo" with the gains and modes being the travel limits.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
MaxHeli

Thanks a lot.

For some reason i was having problems with the gain channel on gear and i switched it around to Aux2 and by the flip of a switch to start it up in AVCS mode it flys great now.

P.S. I tried to do a puroute today after triming it all out and it barley makes it around at full rudder I checked the servo does have its full throw. Im thinking it has something to do with my head spead to low/high or i have to much pitch (Running 5 1/2 degrees of pitch at hover)