Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Just did my pitch for first time, question please.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Just did my pitch for first time, question please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 PM
davidank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did my pitch for first time, question please.

I just got my first pitch gauge and set my pitch to 0 deg. with all trims and etc centered on the tx. when I did the tracking it was way off, and the high blade I adjusted down to the low blade.

I fired up the heli and it sounded really good and like everything was running smooth. It seems I need to set my blade pitch higher than 0 deg at all sticks and trims centered because I almost max out my throttle and the heli then just lifts off.

------>My question is, if the blades were both at 0 deg, then I had to adjust the tracking, the tracking is on but both blades aren't at the same exact pitch, is this normal? Or am I missing something?? Using the piece of paper and different marker colored blade tips to check tracking, the blades were 1/4 inch apart then when I put tracking on they were all but exactly the same.

Another question ---->My heli's weight is 11.9 oz (338 grams) so maybe I need more than 0 deg at all trims centered to get it to lift off properly?

Thanks for any feedback I appreciate it!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just did my pitch for first time, question please.

What degrees did you have at full stick?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 PM
ct420

If your blades are tracking true, then that means that they ARE at the same pitch. If they weren't, then that would show up as one blade higher than the other.

Taking measurements with the pitch guage is not an exact science. It's easy to mis-judge the pitch of a blade by several degrees. Time and practice will make you better at it.

Also, when you stated that you set the pitch to 0 with the stick centered, did you also remember to put it into idle up mode? If you set it to 0 with the stick centered in normal mode, then that would explain why you don't have enough pitch now
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Rcman4life

Sorry dumb question...how do you check and adjust the blade tracking??? I;m just setting mine up right now, just adjustment of the servo's? Thanks thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Jellyson

Please look at my posts on the main BCPP thread. I have covered these questions several times there and tell you how to do it roughly and quickly without even needing a pitch gauge.
But yes from the description it sounds like you didn't have idle-up set when you zeroed your pitch.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Jellyson

Ah, CT420, I can tell by your handle that you live in a perfect world, where all blades are aerodynamically matched, and all heads are evenly balanced.
But I also answered dank's question on the other thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5246561

And there I described the process in a very tiny nutshell.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 AM
davidank

Thanks everybody for the info! I think I did forget to put it in idle up. oops.

I keep hearing this thing abouyt setting the pitch at zero throttle, then at middle stick, then at full throttle.

My question on this is, isn't setting my pitch at full throttle changing the pitch at all other locations (middle and zero throttle)? So if I set my pitch at one location for the pitch I want all other pitch's are set at their correct throttle positions?