Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

broke my TX can I fix it???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

broke my TX can I fix it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 AM
davidank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke my TX can I fix it???

OK, I was putting my honeybee cp2 away after practicing with draining 2 battery packs, and I picked up my heli off my kitchen counter and the heli bumped my tx accidentally and it fell off the counter and hit my kitchen floor. The batteries went everywhere and the left TRN thing broke off.

I didn't try to fly my heli yet as it was late, will this make me not able to fly my heli?

It looks like I can pop open my tx and replace it, can I do that? Can I buy this TRN stick/switch at an online shop?

Any tips and ideas on this I appreciate it.

Can I fix this or do I have to buy a new tx?

I never used the TRN switch what is it for?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM
FMB42

Default RE: broke my TX can I fix it???

Hi dave,
Sounds like you broke the training switch "lever" on you Tx. If so, you most likely broke the "lever" off of the switch itself. Make sure that your Tx case isn't cracked or broken and that the switch body is held securely in place with the hex "ring nut". Shake your Tx and listen for any loose internal parts. If you find no damage to the case and or switch, then you most likely have not damaged your Tx. Consider taking your Tx and heli to your local hobby shop so they can check it out. They can replace the switch, if needed, at this time for a nominal cost.

P.S. This "TRN" switch allows you to train other pilots with the use of a "buddy" cable connected between your Tx and the student Tx. You as the "instructor" hold the spring loaded switch to the "off" side while your student controls his model with his Tx. If and when your student needs you to take over the controls you let go of this switch which allows it to spring back to the default position. This then gives you control of the students model with your Tx. In short, you do not need this switch unless you plan on training another pilot at some point. Good luck and good flying!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
davidank

Thanks for the info!

Nothing sounded like it was moving around on the inside as far as I can remember. (I am at work now I will have to check it out when I get home).

BUT, what I did is I seen the nut on the switch and thought ooh I can just unscrew it and fix it maybe and I unscrewed the little nut and the whole switch fell inside the tx. so I guess I need to take the tx apart to pull the switch on the outside of the tx again right? I asasume it being inside like that is not good?

Is it a bad idea to take the tx apart being a newbie to the heli thing?

Any things to be careful of when taking it apart? I don't want to have to buy another tx I can use that money on more spares and etc.

Thanks agian.

-Dave
Old 01-11-2007, 02:48 PM
FMB42

Hi Dave,
Do NOT turn on your Tx until the switch is mounted in the proper location. You risk shorting out the main board, etc. if you do so. I would call your local hobby shop and get a quote on having them replace the switch and test the Tx. The cost of having it checked out and "repaired" will most likely be much less then the cost of repairing your heli after a crash due to a bad Tx and or Tx TRN switch. Also consider the cost of any personal injuries that could occur.

I have opened up several Tx cases that were for vehicles and low powered (slow head/rotor speed) helicopters. Some of these units had hardware mounted to both halves of the case that were inter-connected (from one case half to the other) by very fine, short wires soldered to the main board, etc. In other words, it is not difficult to break these wires off of the main board while the case halves are apart. Just moving the case halves around too much while trouble shooting can break these wires. I learned this through experience Another problem is that parts in some units are sandwiched (or held) in place by the case halves. This means that these parts can fall out of place when you split the case halves. You can also damage the board(s) just by touching them if you do not have a wrist grounding strap on so as to prevent possible static discharge.

Your heli is, IIRC, a powerful and possibly dangerous machine and I recommend that you take it to a hobby shop for repairs and testing just to be on the safe side.