Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Throw me a bone

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
roo71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw me a bone

Howdy,

I am just started to do some research and WOW, what an enormous amount of info to absorb.

I was hoping that some of you could fill in the gaps on a few things I am trying to figure out …

If a chopper requires 4 servos and one connection on the RX is for speed then why does the requirement say a 6 channel TX? To me, it needs a 5 channel. Is it b/c there are no 5 channel TX’s out there?

I understand the concept of CP but I am a bit puzzled on how a FP chopper moves forward and such. I would think the rotor blades would tilt forward something like a ghetto type CP movement.

Right now I am content with the 2 simulators I am playing but in the end I am looking at a TREX electric 450. Many flavors of this and since I am far off from that purchase I will hold my questions about the differences. I understand that larger models are probably easier to fly then the micros … I totally see that in the sims especially with the nitros. But I am a bit intimidated by the larger ones for now … must of cut my head off a billion times in the sims. That and I think I killed several kids and maimed and adult or two in the GS sim .

Once I am comfortable/ready I would like to start off with a mid range CP and I am fine with building it myself and would want to purchase a separate TX to be used with the 450 when I am ready. So basically no RTF complete packages. I think it important to build the model from the ground up.

I like that JR parkmite but to me that’s overpriced a bit. So any suggestions? If there is a CP package out there that is pre built and comes with a TX that’s highly suggested (parts easy to find / relatively cheap) then I will consider it. I am quite certain I will smash it up and have the opportunity to fix/rebuild it and get a feel for the mechanics.

Lastly, looking for some websites where I can do some one stop shopping for miscellaneous items like grease, oil, lock tight, blade balancer, tracking tape, ball link tools, etc.

I appreciate any help and understand that some of my questions are basic / common knowledge to most but usually those are questions that tend to be the hardest to find answers for.

-roo
Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
s_mcflurry

Default RE: Throw me a bone

Don't know much, but I'll answer one and comment on another.

With more advanced transmitters, the extra channels can be used for fuel mixing and stuff. I think you can program that. Check [link=http://heliguy.com/nexus/controlls.html]this link at Heliguy.com[/link] for more info.

Fixed-pitch choppers confuse me too. I've always assumed that they could only go forward but not backward and assumed that the main rotor shaft was maybe tilted forward to allow this. If it's essentially a speed-controlled fan, how does it pitch at all? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
blade_killer

a fixed pitch heli has exactly that, the blades are fixed at an optimum pitch to allow lift as soon as the head speed gets up, so the more power you give, the higher the heli will go.
A CP heli controls the pitch of the blades with a servo so lift can be had at a slower speed.
To move forward or revers on a FP or CP, the swashplate causes the whole rotor disk to tilt either forwards or backwards or side to side for side to side flight, and of course the tail rotor controls the yaw.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
s_mcflurry

You know what, I think I got it. Collective pitch is just that: pitch that controls the collective, which controls the altitude. It doesn't say anything about cyclic. So, although it says "fixed pitch", the pitch of the blades aren't permanent - the pitch still varies but only to control cyclic, not collective. Altitude in a fixed-pitch helicopter is addressed by rotor speed.

Man, I hope this is right cuz if it's not, I have no idea.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry,
I'm out of bones right now.
Will these do?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61474.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	690760  
Old 05-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if I even should post here. I mean there are way too many people trying to give advise that really should be on the sidelines waiting for spomebody with a little more knowledge to come in and actually give the advise so all of you can learn.

If that sounded harsh to some of you I apologize. I probably need to take a break from this forum, I remeber now why I quit coming here in the first place and it does not have to do with the helicopter forum only.

Ok, rant over....

ALL Helicopters require 4 controls minimum, engine rpm, aileron, elevator, and rudder (I'm using airplane nomenclature to make it easy). Aileron and elevator, are actually called cyclic. On Collective pitch machines you have a 5 th control you have to incorporate.

The reason most helicopters recommend a 6 channel radio is because most of the gyros out there are capable of being adjusted in the air, thus needing an additional control. The gyro is a rotational sensor that is connected to the rudder servo and helps you control the tail during engine rpm variations and general flying. Too much to explain here.

A fixed pitch helicopter has its blades fixed to a certain angle. When a cyclic (aileron or elevator) command is applied the entire rotor disk tilt in the direction of the command and the heli moves in that direction. Somebody already explained that, but I wanted to re-iterate.

I commend you in the fact that you are one of the few people that are willing to assemble your own helicopter. People need to understand that eventually you will crash and assembling the helicopter is going to teach you how to take it apart when you have to fix it. Maintenance is another factor. But that is another story.

Most of the JR helicopters are NOT FOR BEGINNERS. On top of that they are a little overpriced, you are right. May I ask why are you leaning towards an electric helicopter?

My best advise would be to contact a local pilot in the local club. See what they fly and purchase THE SAME THING. They would know all the tricks to put it toghether, how to trick it out, and they will be able to help you all the way. Reading it in a book or online is going to help, but hands-on help is INVALUABLE.

A one stop shop online might be a little difficult. There are a few that have MOST of what you might be looking for, but not all. Tower Hobbies comes to mind if you are looking into the E-Flight brand of helis. If you go into nitro powered, Heliproz and Rick's RC Helis are two that you can go to that would ahve MOST of what you need. There are hundreds of online shops, but none will be a one stop shop place.

One more thought: bigger is better. The bigger the helicopter the better it flies. Do not be intimidated by a nitro powered machine. It seems that nitro helis in the 50 size are the norm for learning right now. Just make sure that you get with an experienced pilot.
[link]http://pilotlocator.net[/link]

Rafael
Old 05-24-2007, 07:01 PM
mrasmm

yeah i would agree.... FP's are quite slow moving because the blades do not pitch at all, and basically the servo's have to over come the cyclic motion and the gyroscopic forces to change the rotor angle wich provides directional lift which gets the heli moving. CP's actually, say if you were going forward flatten out the blade as it spins around the front so it gets less lift, and gives it a steep bite around the back to give it more lift, so it actually changes the lift porperties for a more instantanious response.

here is a trex kit for about 500 with a dx6. Not a bad combo. You should be able to find everything else on that site as well. The kit is near the bottom and is called T-Rex 450XL CDE Spectrum Package
http://www.helihobby.com/html/trex_helicopter.html
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Whirley Bird

I also left RCU some time ago for more then a year because I found many don't have time to stop to smell the fresh air or have a sense of humor now and then to break up the stuffiness.
It's called living a real life.
Off my rant and going for a nice night time motorcycle ride.
Vegas/
Old 05-24-2007, 08:28 PM
blade_killer

Rafael23cc,

tell me where I have it wrong, it will help me.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 PM
roo71

Most of the JR helicopters are NOT FOR BEGINNERS. On top of that they are a little overpriced, you are right. May I ask why are you leaning towards an electric helicopter?
They are more of a hassle IMO. Having to deal with electric starters, glow plugs fuel, the mess the exhaust will cause isn’t for me. I actually just contacted a pilot an hour away and he mentioned that he put his nitros on the shelf and is currently going with an electric. He basically said that when he is done flying, he puts his bird away and doesn’t have to deal with all the after flying maintenance that comes with a nitro.

A decade ago I had a nitro buggy and hated the 5 hours of cleanup after an hour or so of driving it. Forgive the pun, but nitro has left a bad taste in my mouth for now.

I commend you in the fact that you are one of the few people that are willing to assemble your own helicopter.
Thanks. I think many newbs just wanna go balls to the wall and get going too quick which really goes against the grain with this hobby. I've wanted one since I was a kid so if I can wait 20 years then I can wait another 6 months to a year and have a ton of sim time, research, etc. under my belt. I’ve gone through some of the TREX manuals and construction didn’t look too bad. What concerns me is configuration and programming the TX … but can be done with patience and research.

I can appreciate your humor whirly bird … I do love bacon … however the real stuff though.

Thanks everyone for your time.

-roo
Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Whirley Bird

I look at it this way.
I start a project that takes 4-5 months to finish but maybe I may not be here tomorrow.
Then ........Lemmie see,
I fly a fill size gyro,
A Phantom Untralight,
ham radio,
Nitro fixed wings,
Electric helis,
Motorcycles,
fishing,camping,and skydiving, canoeing and anything outdoors
I don't have time to build plus I teach survival skills and still have to find time for Lori.
So if I crash my RTF then I have some parts and just go buy another one.
I try my best to enjoy everything because I never know what tomorrow holds for me.
Vegas/

I commend you in the fact that you are one of the few people that are willing to assemble your own helicopter.
Thanks. I think many newbs just wanna go balls to the wall and get going too quick which really goes against the grain with this hobby. I've wanted one since I was a kid so if I can wait 20 years then I can wait another 6 months to a year and have a ton of sim time, research, etc. under my belt. I’ve gone through some of the TREX manuals and construction didn’t look too bad. What concerns me is configuration and programming the TX … but can be done with patience and research.

I can appreciate your humor whirly bird … I do love bacon … however the real stuff though.

Thanks everyone for your time.

-roo

[/quote]