Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

first heli

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first heli

what is a good cp heli that will be easy to learn but that i wont outgrow it too fast. eventually be able to fly upside down, but is less than 200$ also an rtf would b nice. thanks for the help
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: first heli

I suggest doing a search on this subject. That question has been answered many times.

Bottom line:
Budget too low for goals.

Rafael
Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

If you want something for 200 dollars that wont frustrate you, buy a simulator.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Go for the Blade CP or the Esky CP2 ([link=http://www.linknety.com]videos[/link])
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Ditto for simulator, if your budget is that tight you wont be able to afford parts etc. No parts to buy with a sim, plus you will be that much better (read:less frustrated) when you do have the money to buy a capable machine.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 AM

Consider the freeware SIM "FMS". This SIM comes with the ESKY SIM controller (part # EK2-0905A, ~$20) and is a very inexpensive way to get started with RC helicopter and fixed wing aircraft training. SIMs can also be pretty fun and are not unlike a PC game.

Consider the following suggestions for new RC heli pilots;

SIM (run search on this topic for more info)

Setup (proper preflight setup "adjustments" are critical for safe and successful flights)

Practice (makes perfect, and the "RADD" website for new heli pilots is a very good place to start)

Patience (give yourself time to learn)

The Blade CP is about $200 but will need a $30 upgrade kit for inverted flight. The good thing is that the parts in this kit will replace some of the most common replacement parts needed due to crashes and/or wear and tear. Replacing parts due to crashing and/or wear and tear is just part of this hobby.

The Blade CX2 would make a better first heli due to the fact that the Blade CP can be pretty tough (but not impossible) to learn on. The CX2 is also about $200 but will never fly inverted. Coax (dual rotor) helicopters such as the Blade CX2, Lama V3 or V4(~$100), etc, are far better for beginners. Coax helicopters are also better for indoor (or in house) flying and can only be used very low or no wind outdoor conditions.

Good luck and good flying!

P.S. Don't forget to wear eye protection while flying or working on your model.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 AM

I would recommend a good co-axial heli like the Axe EZ or blade CX2 or even one of the Walkera coax models,
which tend to be less expensive. I own one of each of these.

Then, when your flying skills get better, I would move on to a fixed pitch (FP) heli and then a CP heli - select a model that can
fly inverted.

You should get a Simulator, but nothing beats the experience of a real heli under real-life flying situations.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2007, 09:11 AM

I would recommend a good co-axial heli like the Axe EZ or blade CX2 or even one of the Walkera coax models
I don't mean to single you out, but I have to point out this:
that i wont outgrow it too fast. eventually be able to fly upside down
I have to reiterate, the goals do not match the budget. Homework and savings need to come first.

Rafael
Old 06-25-2007, 06:29 PM

I think Black9label13 got your message Rafael. What I was trying to point out was a more reasonable and
cost-practical route. Also, one that will prevent frustration and discouragement in the short run.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Also, one that will prevent frustration and discouragement in the short run.
Are you absolutely sure about that statement?

Granted that I have 17 years of experience flying helis, but I was bored with a CX2 within the first battery pack.

Rafael