Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

beginner durable cheap heli recc.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

beginner durable cheap heli recc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 PM
enricong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner durable cheap heli recc.

I've currently got a walkera df 36 for about $180. I'm not having much luck flying and it breaks very easily.

I'm spending much more time fixing it and waiting for parts than actually flying and learning. The best way to avoid crashing is to learn how to fly ofcourse. I'm thinking of getting another helicopter rather than continuing to dump money into repairs.

I'm looking for something very durable. something that can take hard landings. Not sure if that exists.

I'm also looking for something relatively cheap since I only plan to use it to get some experience before I fly the df36.

any suggestions, perhaps nothing exists that is both durable and cheap.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 PM
kurt10

Default RE: beginner durable cheap heli recc.

I know this isn't alot of help, but i'm a beginner too and the E-Flite CP/Pro helis are one of the worst choices. They are sooooo weak. Everything on my BCPP has been replaced 6-8 times, except for one of the servos and the batteries.
Don't get the BCP/P!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:15 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I don't think you will get much that flys cheaper than 180 bucks. Do you have a flight simulator? If not, that would be your best investment. As for wanting something durable and cheap, if you by a cheap helicopter, you better hope it's durable because it's going to fly like crap! I don't know what kind of flying you can do but if you can take off and do some forward flight and land but crash some just due to dumb thumbs then you can get something like a T-rex. While not cheap it is durable and parts are cheap and very easy to get. There are some other good helicopters out there that I'm sure others will recommend but the Trex is my favorite.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 PM
enricong

thanks, I suspected that I probably wouldnt find something thats both "cheap" and "durable" and can still fly, otherwise everyone would be buying it. I have mainly been flying rc planes and I'm use to being able to slap my plane back together even after really bad crashes and having it up and flying the next day.

with the helicopter, I get it up in the air (sometimes I dont even get that far) and then try to land it safely, something usually breaks. blades, skids, some part of the linkage. I basically have to buy a new one of everything that breaks since there is no way to repair.

I can fly the helicopters on FMS but I suspect the software is really designed for planes because it is very easy on FMS. I have looked into more expensive simulators, but then they start to rival the cost of the helicopter and I'd rather be out flying.

I guess I'll keep trying on my current one and see how many more hits it can take.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:57 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Yes a good sim is pricey but you can completely rebuilt after a crash by hitting a button and all rebuilds are free ! I don't know what your budget is but I know it's discouraging to continually have problems but stick with it, we've all been down that bumpy road. I started with a Raptor 50 and training gear. Once I was able to hover and land, I took the training gear off and started on forward flight. Then everyone started getting the little electrics so I bought my first Trex and put some cheap electronics in it. Learning to fly that thing was harder than when I first started, So yes, size does matter . If you learn on that little electric then you won't have any problem switching over to a bigger heli later.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 PM
daijoubu

I'm very happy with my E-flite Blade. I have "broken" it. Two moderate crashes have cost me a set of bearings and a gear for the tail rotor. So far it has only broken where it was intended to break. If I beefed those parts up, I'm sure I'd be replacing a motor or the 4 in 1. The biggest piece of advice is to take it slow. Only go as far as you comfortably can while still in control. Once there, push just a tiny bit further and then come back. Stay in control of the machine.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
thermal7

I started with the Blade CX and now I have 2 Falcon 3D mini heli's. I am using the FMA Direct Model CPD4 Co Pilot with both my Falcon 3D's. The CPD4 for 70 bucks will automatically put your heli in a stable hover. Works with the right stick servos on a Collective Pitch heli. Read about it at FMA Direct website. I now have 30 flights and no crashes so it does help you while you are learning. As the other guy said, don't get a Blade CP. My brother has one and all he does is crash and buy parts.
Ralph
I have a video on youtube.com of my flying the Falcon 3d with CPD4...it was my flights 8 and 9. I am a beginner so wanted to tell you about the CPD4. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
thermal7

Enricong.
Heres the link to the Falcon 3D equipped with the CPD4 Co Pilot. I dont know if the CPD4 will work with the Walkera 36. If its a mechanical mixed Collective Pitch, it will work with it. Goes between your receiver and Cyclic Right Stick servos. Check out my crummy video. You will see it works pretty good with beginner at the controls.
Ralph
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vAnByGX31ko
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
FMB42

Consider the Esky Lama V3, or better yet the V4. These coax helicopters are easier to fly then your DF 36 and run about $100. Parts are inexpensive as well. Coax helis are best suited for indoor flying but can be flown outdoors in zero wind conditions. A step up from the Lama would be the Esky 4 channel FP at about $125. These fixed pitch helis are easier to fly then the cp units such as your DF 36 yet, offer better performance then the Lama. BTW, the Esky Lama and FP come with durable plastic blades.

As far as your DF 36 goes, make sure that you have gone over the setup and that you are using training gear. Practice flying in zero wind conditions, if you are outside, and have an experienced heli pilot help you with the setup and flying if at all possible. Your local hobby shop or club can, most likely, help you with this. The various DF threads will also have setup info and tips so check them out if you can.

FMS, while not the best SIM, is better then nothing and will at least help teach you visual orientation. I recommend that you try an FMS helicopter model download that is similar to your DF rather then fly the helis that come with this SIM. That is if you haven't done so already. Some of the fixed wing models that I've added to FMS are not so easy to fly.

P.S. Flying helicopters is just part of fixing helicopters!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
enricong

I'll look into those helicopters.

I have a TREX model of FMS that I fly. I havent had any problems flying that one.

Whenever I try to fly it in real life (with training gears), it tends to move backwards and to the left. I try my best to counter act this but I get to the point where it seems that the helicopter is about to tip over.

I suspect its a mixture of it not being setup up right and me throttling up too slowly.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:06 AM
FMB42

Check out "rctoy.com for FMS Dragonfly models.

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...IM/RC-PARTS-DR

Yes, throttling up too slowly can cause problems. Practice throttling up in quick yet smooth manor and see what happens. Another thing is that most helicopters tend to drift to the left during take off. Adding a little right aileron roll during take off can correct this and you will, in time, do this without even thinking about it.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 AM
enricong

I decided to get a copy of Phoenix RC. Hopefully that will help me out.
my main concern is that a simulator will never be as realistic as the real thing.
My heli probably isnt setup perfectly so it will behave differently than the simulator.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: enricong

I've currently got a walkera df 36 for about $180. I'm not having much luck flying and it breaks very easily.

I'm spending much more time fixing it and waiting for parts than actually flying and learning. The best way to avoid crashing is to learn how to fly ofcourse. I'm thinking of getting another helicopter rather than continuing to dump money into repairs.

I'm looking for something very durable. something that can take hard landings. Not sure if that exists.

I'm also looking for something relatively cheap since I only plan to use it to get some experience before I fly the df36.

any suggestions, perhaps nothing exists that is both durable and cheap.
"Durable" and "Helicopter" are never found in ths same sentence...ever.

With that said, I am going to be a hypocrite and say that the Raptor series helis are quite durable when it comes to helis.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
enricong

I've heard alot of people say good things about the LMH Corona series.
Based on my searches on the forum, the most people seem to think that one is the most durable