Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New to RC Helis, advice please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New to RC Helis, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 11:56 AM
scruffythedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Helis, advice please

hi all,
I've just bought a Hirobo Shuttle sceadu, put it together and had it all checked out. The kit came with CSM V10 flight sim but it seems a nightmare to use! Are they really that hard to fly for real?

Anyway, do you think I should go and try it out with the trainer gear on it or should i stick with the simulator for a while.?

Obviously I'd take it very gently but I'm a little paraniod about crashing it!
Any help would be great

oh by the way.....I haven't flown anything before...
Old 04-04-2003, 03:27 PM
alvin1

Default yes they are that hard!

like you i'm a begginer,i've had about 10 flights with my shuttle and are still learning to hover.my advice to you is to use the sim for the time being until you get use to the way the helicopter behaves,after you 've spent some time on the sim and can hover the machine,then it's time to try the real thing.start with the training undercarriage fitted,take things really slow and try to keep the machine not more than a foot off the ground.by doing it this way,the chances of crashing are very slim,as the training undercarriage is supprisingly effective at saving the machine during bad landings.one other point to make is that you should fly on calm days when learning,as a windy day will make it 10 times harder to control,even with the undercarriage fitted
Old 04-05-2003, 05:58 AM
reposess
My Feedback: (1)

They are pretty difficult to fly.
I haven't tried the CSM sim, but if the basic problem you're having is that you can't keep it steady because you really don't know instantly what control inputs to make, then its at least somewhat like the real thing.

At first many of the controls seemed counter-intuitive to me, especially from other orientations besides tail-in.
Thats what the sims are good for, they'll teach you to react without thinking to different movements.

I tried to learn at first without a sim., ended up costing me a lot and I never really did progress much until after I got RealFlight.

If I couldn't hover and kept crashing on the sim I wouldn't be so anxious to go out and maybe wreck my $$$ model. Keep practicing.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:02 AM
scruffythedog

Default just tried it outside!!

Thanks for the help guys, it is as hard as the sim to fly!!
looks like this might take a while to master

thanks again, I'm going to be taking this VERY slowly!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:22 PM
reposess
My Feedback: (1)

Trust me, nothings worse than crashing when you didn't really even get to have the fun of flying. A lot of people quit the hobby like that.

Imagine how satisfying it will be to go out flying and (nearly) always bring the bird home in one piece.

You'll get there.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Pyrro

Default Use the Sim

I'm new also and the first thing I've done is to get Realflight G2. I've been using it everyday for about 2 weeks. This week, I will be hooking my newly aquired Futaba 9C to the sim so I will be practicing with the actual TX. After a while with that setup, I will purchase a Heli. It will take me some time to assemble it and set it up properly during which time I will be practicing on the Sim. Hopefully, my first flight will be less shocking due to the time spent on the sim.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:22 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would be very wise to get someone that knows how to set it up and fly it to help you and teach you to fly it. They can also show you ways to keep from hurting yourself and others.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:39 PM
edg

I found that it took me around 2 weeks of sim time to get comfortable with nose-out hovering. One you get that learned you're ready to go. The real thing will be very close.

When you're ready, you'll be up against real-life problems that the sim won't teach you like properly setting up the heli. Assuming it is set up however, you should have no problem with your first hovering.

Keep the training gear on until you're pretty comfortable. Get rid of it relatively quickly as it does add undesireable dynamics to the controls.

Even after all the carefull baby-steps, you're probably still going to crash anyway. The sim is great at preparing you, but in some things it's just not the same. For instance, for a long time I could easily nose-in hover in the sim, but in RL I just had problems. I got an FMA CoPilot which helped a LOT getting comfortable with nose-ins. IMO, the Copilot is well worth the money especially as a training aid.

-edg-
Old 04-10-2003, 01:51 AM
MrRaptor

Default The sim is your friend

I learned to fly a heli about a year ago. I started practicing with Realflight G2 about a month before I bought my heli. IMO it was worth every penny.

The proof was in my first flight, I was able to achive a reasonably stable hover and maintain it for the full tank!

I agree with the suggestion to get rid of the training gear relatively quickly. I remember getting the same advice from many people. I was a little reluctant to take off the gear, but I quickly found that my raptor flew much better without it and I never looked back.

Good luck and have fun,

Mark