Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newby with a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby with a question

Okay I am a newby to RC Helicopters. I bought a Dynam Hugh 300. I have practiced on the sim and am decent on it, but when I get my heli out and give her some throttle she starts heading right. She will not even get of the ground before she heads right. I have not been able to get her more then an inch off the ground before I have to shut the power down to keep from hitting something. Any thoughts?

Don Morris
Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Newby with a question

Is your swash plate level?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Don,
Which sim are you using?
Have you read through [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radd's School of Rotary Flight[/link]? It is a good way to get familiar with how the heli behaves with minimal risk to your heli. It will be a good supplement to your sim work.
While there are several mechanical setup issues that can cause poor control, and you should investigate them, I am going to suggest an additional way to handle this; Use the right stick. If the heli is moving to the right, and you don''t want it to, move the stick to the left. Just a bit. Too much and the heli will rocket to the left.
Yes, I am saying this with a bit of tongue-in-cheek attitude, but I think that many pilots with as yet undeveloped skills do not always realize that you have to make the heli hover, it does not do it by itself.
Vince
Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM

Hi, when you say the heli is heading to the right do you mean turning or is the heli going sideways?

If its turning I suspect the gyro gain needs adjusting, some patience is required when fine tuning these helis and make small adjustments at a time
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: parkair

Is your swash plate level?
What is a swash plate?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Vince,

No I have not checked out Radd yet but, will. I am using FMS sim.

simplyraptor,

Yes it goes sideways.

Thanks all for the inputs

Don
Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM

piro,

if you have to ask what a swash plate is you have along way to go. you shouldnt even be trying to fly yet.. your best bet is to read radds now.. practice everyday on the sim at least an hour a day. im not trying to sound like a jerk but seriously,, your a long way off from trying to fly yet.

do you have training gear? if not you should get a set if you dont want to read radds or anything else.. you are just going to make things worse including your heli.. here is a couple links.. one is to get yourself some training gear.. these will save you from a lot of crashes and tip overs from take offs. honestly buddy,,,put the heli on the shelf and just use your sim and do lots of reading. you will learn much quicker and save your heli from those expensive repairs..

training gear link
[link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_40&products_id=493]http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_40&products_id=493[/link]

read this,, helpful stuff here:
[link=http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg/ehbg-17.pdf]http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg/ehbg-17.pdf[/link]

now please dont take anything i said the wrong way... just trying to help.. also do the radds thing all the way.. i was like you at first and just wanted to fly.. but after hundreds of dollars in parts i put my heli's away until i used the sim EVERYDAY and went through radds.. also read a lot of the post here.. even if they do not apply to your probelms you will learn some good stuff.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 PM

thanks jake,

Your right on your post I do have a long way to go. I have started reading Radd and the copter is parked for a while. thanks again for your help.

Don
Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 PM

don,, no problem brother,, just hate seeing anyone having problems.. i am way off from being an expert.. i have been owning helis 5 months now and still can only tail in hover just a little bit.. but i do a lot of reading and learn a little each day.. what really helped me was using radds,,the sim and reading almost every post i can about almost every problem that others have.. i sure have learned a lot but still have a ways to go also.

you waited this long to get a heli,, i little while longer wont hurt and you will save some bucks not to mention your heli.. practice evryday on that sim until you get bored,,then practice some more.. you'll get it.. some learn quicker then others.. but dont be ashamed to ask questions.. most guys here are glad to help... good luck,,, jake.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 PM

Jake is so right! I have so much to be thankful for because of this forum and my sim. Flying heli's doesn't need to cost you an arm and a leg. I've crashed at least fifty times with my HBFP since Christmas time, total cost in parts about $8.00 and that included the shipping! Crawl before you walk, walk before you run! Follow RADD's with your training gear till you want to puke [:'(] then do your sim for awhile, while you are still mentally in flight mode. You will learn, it is not easy, it is a gas and it is fun!!!!! The way to keep it fun is to learn to do it right the first time.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:10 AM

Piro

Your type of heli can be very frustrating to fly and set up, I owned a similiar type and it nearly put me of the hobby.

A good starter heli would be something like a Blade cx2 or similiar this will get you off the ground quicker and give a good feel of how a heli flies, these type of helis are very stable and a little more crash resistant.

We have all been in the same position as you, good simulators, heli magazines and the numerous websites are useful learning tools.

If you get bitten by the heli bug you are in for a big learning curve.