Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

what is a BEC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a BEC?

can anyone tell me what the hell a BEC is?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Default RE: what is a BEC?

It's a battery eliminator circuit. It borrows power from the model's drive motor battery and provides it to the receiver so there is no need for a dedicated receiver battery.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: 321

It's a battery eliminator circuit. It borrows power from the model's drive motor battery and provides it to the receiver so there is no need for a dedicated receiver battery.
YEP: Another example is it is a voltage step down from 11.1 to 4.8V-6V. or voltage regulator.
Jim
Old 05-12-2008, 03:04 PM

so then you use a BEC in every electric application or is there some that do not need to use a BEC?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: GOskateFL

so then you use a BEC in every electric application or is there some that do not need to use a BEC?
Most always use a BEC of some kind for electric and some nitro model that would use a lipo battery. All radios are limited to 4.8V- 6V. Some servos and gyros like 4.8V and not 6V. So you can use a step down or a bec to limit voltage. Some becs are built in the ESC and some do not have a bec. Some folks will use an external BEC instead of the built in because the external may have more current handling capabilities such as for power draining digital servos.

Jim
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM

I use a Castle Creations 10A BEC on my heli. The ESC had a built in BEC (2A) that did not offer enough current. My servos were jittering and the ESC was getting very hot just programming the radio. The 10A BEC has more than enough current capacity for 4 servos and a gyro.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:49 PM

so let me se if i got this. the BEC helps regulate the power that goes to the servos, gyro and receiver so that you dont fry the most expensive things on your heli.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: GOskateFL

so let me se if i got this. the BEC helps regulate the power that goes to the servos, gyro and receiver so that you dont fry the most expensive things on your heli.
"That's a Fact Jack"

Jim