Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Newbie In IRAQ I need a distributer that ships to APO

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newbie In IRAQ I need a distributer that ships to APO

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:24 AM
israt1339

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie In IRAQ I need a distributer that ships to APO

Hello All,
I am new to this forum and new to this hobby. I am a us contractor living and working in Iraq. I bought a 3ch co-axle toy apache on E-bay that piqued my interest in the Hobby. I have purchased a Falcon 3d ccpm RTF that should be here in a week or two. I have been reading alot on setup and learning to fly. The Falcon I bought comes with a sim but after reading through the forums it seems its hard to use or setup I guess we will see, soon, I hope. I plan on learning with this copter but want to buy a kit to put together so I can better appreciate how these work and are setup. I want to buy a good transmitter that can be used with allmost anything I buy.

I was hoping that someone could suggest a fair priced distributor that has a wide selection and that will ship to an APO address. this has turned out to be the hardest thing to find. either people dont understand that APO stands for Army Post Office and all troops serving overseas have this address, or an FPO (Fleet Post Office) [&o] . It doesnt cost anymore than shipping to NY. The only thing extra that needs to happen is a customs form has to attached to ship to an APO, yet people will charge $100+ for shipping or not at all.

I would also like suggestions on a good transmitter that is versitile and durable. do i need to buy servos when I buy the trans?
also does anyone know of a modelers tool kit pre assembled for putting kits together? or is it better to just get tools as needed? if so is there a link to suggested tools?
I would prefer to buy everything needed because it takes awhile for shipments to get here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Happy flying![8D]
Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 AM
nuttcaze

Default RE: Newbie In IRAQ I need a distributer that ships to APO

I would try contacting Ka-Planes in Florida and see if they can help you with the whole shipping thing, they are really nice people. For a Tx you're gonna be best goning with a DX7 or a 7ch Futaba (the DX6i is ok but uses a single roller switch that sucks big _____ _____ ) And I believe the DX7 comes with servos, but none the less you can buy servos at any time. I haven't seen a all in one tool kit, you're gonna end up buying them as you go but a few must have's if you plan on building a heli is,

Digital calipers
Screwdriver type hex wrenches (allen wrenches)
Few small nut drivers
small needle nose pliers
small screw driver set
soldering iron ( you will be soldering some so hope you're good at it, lol)
LOTS of zip ties (buy them by the 100's )
Small wire cutters

http://www.ka-planes.com/home
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: nuttcaze

I would try contacting Ka-Planes in Florida and see if they can help you with the whole shipping thing, they are really nice people. For a Tx you're gonna be best goning with a DX7 or a 7ch Futaba (the DX6i is ok but uses a single roller switch that sucks big _____ _____ ) And I believe the DX7 comes with servos, but none the less you can buy servos at any time. I haven't seen a all in one tool kit, you're gonna end up buying them as you go but a few must have's if you plan on building a heli is,

Digital calipers
Screwdriver type hex wrenches (allen wrenches)
Few small nut drivers
small needle nose pliers
small screw driver set
soldering iron ( you will be soldering some so hope you're good at it, lol)
LOTS of zip ties (buy them by the 100's )
Small wire cutters

http://www.ka-planes.com/home
Sorry but your comment on the DX6I is unfounded and shows you have never had one in your hands. It is a super radio and has great programing. It also has things the DX7 does not such as throlle kill switch. I have both. The wheel on the programing (ala JR9303 and Futaba) is easier than multiple buttons. As a mattrr of fact I like the feature the most. I agree the KA-Plane would be a good place, Advantage Hobbie, Heliproz, Tower Hobbies, USHOBBYSUPPLY, Helihobby, Modesfo, AMAINHOBBY, I could go on and on. I like the Align tools and the Align pitch guage. Helimax make a good link plyer also. As said get a real good set of tools. Yep tons of 4-6" zip ties.

I want to take the time to thank you for your service

Jim
Old 05-14-2008, 12:11 PM
nuttcaze

lol, I do own a DX6i and its currently on its way back to Spektrum to get that stupid roller switch fixed Trust me I never comment on anything I don't have experience with
Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: israt1339

Hello All,
I am new to this forum and new to this hobby. I am a us contracter living and working in Iraq. I bought a 3ch co-axle toy apache on E-bay that piqued my interest in the Hobby. I have purchased a Falcon 3d ccpm RTF that should be here in a week or two. I have been reading alot on setup and learning to fly. The Falcon I bought comes with a sim but after reading through the forums it seems its hard to use or setup I guess we will see, soon, I hope. I plan on learning with this copter but want to buy a kit to put together so I can better appreciate how these work and are setup. I want to buy a good transmitter that can be used with allmost anything I buy.

I was hoping that someone could suggest a fair priced distributer that has a wide selection and that will ship to an APO address. this has turned out to be the hardest thing to find. either people dont understand that APO stands for Army Post Office and all troops serving overseas have this address, or an FPO (Fleet Post Office) [&o] . It doesnt cost anymore than shipping to NY. The only thing extra that needs to happen is a customs form has to attached to ship to an APO, yet people will charge $100+ for shipping or not at all.

I would also like suggestions on a good transmitter that is versitile and durable. do i need to buy servos when I buy the trans?
also does anyone know of a modelers tool kit pre assembled for putting kits together? or is it better to just get tools as needed? if so is there a link to suggested tools?
I would prefer to buy everything needed because it takes awhile for shipments to get here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Happy flying![8D]
I forgot to add that if it were me I would order the Blade 400. It comes with everything need to fly. A great radio system, gyro, servo's, batteries, chargers. Parts are everywhere. All you need is a few tools and your set.

Jim
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: nuttcaze

lol, I do own a DX6i and its currently on its way back to Spektrum to get that stupid roller switch fixed Trust me I never comment on anything I don't have experience with
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble and hope you get it sorted out. All the folks here love them and are having no trouble so far with the DX6I or the DX7.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM
nuttcaze

thats why I recommended a DX7, it has multiple buttons, instead of just 1, really wish I had bought that instead of going the cheap way with the DX6i, has nothing to do with how they work, but using 1 button for everything is stupid, kinda like me for buying it
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 PM
israt1339

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out KA-Planes as well as the others listed here on the forums. I am sure I will find a good source to suit my needs. I haven’t decided what kit I want yet. I am just waiting for my falcon to arrive. I think I want one that I can get a fuselage for, I like the scale side of this hobby they just look cooler IMO. As for the radio I am leaning towards the futaba 7ch.

This forum is great there is tons of information and links, it has removed a lot of skepticism of the support side of all this. I have found so many answers and learned so much already. Thanks again for the suggestions.[8D]
Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
dooleyje

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out KA-Planes as well as the others listed here on the forums. I am sure I will find a good source to suit my needs. I haven’t decided what kit I want yet. I am just waiting for my falcon to arrive. I think I want one that I can get a fuselage for, I like the scale side of this hobby they just look cooler IMO. As for the radio I am leaning towards the futaba 7ch.

This forum is great there is tons of information and links, it has removed a lot of skepticism of the support side of all this. I have found so many answers and learned so much already. Thanks again for the suggestions.[8D]
There are a ton of scale bodies that would fit on the Falcon and I also love the scale side. The Futaba 7 in Fasst2.4 is the way to go. It is a super set and you will love it. I also use a 9Csuper for my airplanes and nitro heli's. The programming on the 7 is some of the best and the radio will last you for many years to come.

Jim
Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 AM
USHobbySupply

We ship very often to APO's to support our boys serving our country.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

We ship very often to APO's to support our boys serving our country.
Mike is super fast and great service.

Jim
Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM
flyexperimental

The single roller button works just like a mouse on a computer.Works great for me.easily programed my radio without even looking at the directions.Much simpler than multiple buttons on the screen of my 10x.Also the blade 400 is a graet heli,but would need to be tamed down with the dual rates for a beginner,and you will still need tools for repairs,because you will crash,or it could get taken out by rpg.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 AM
israt1339

ORIGINAL: flyexperimental

or it could get taken out by rpg.
LOL when I get good at flying and move to scale I want to set my helo up with a chaff system like the one pictured below do you think I would need a 12ch Transmitter for that?

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90864.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	951618  
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2008, 09:44 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: flyexperimental

or it could get taken out by rpg.
LOL when I get good at flying and move to scale I want to set hy helo up with a chaff system do you think I would need a 12ch Transmitter for that?

[img][/img]
It all depends on how many funtions that you want the radio to do. If you can afford the 12c by all means get it as it will be a radio set that you will not have to uograde for many years.

Jim

Jim