Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 Brushless upgrade & Battery >

Brushless upgrade & Battery

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Brushless upgrade & Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless upgrade & Battery

Just got the brushless and esc put in...just wondering if a 1800mah 15c battery is good to run on the 3100 motor? and how long should flight time be with this battery & setup??
Old 05-16-2008, 02:45 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Brushless upgrade & Battery

that is a good setup and it'll give you about 15 mins of flight. You're talking about Honey Bee King 2 right?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 PM

yeah, the honeybee king 2

i'm also looking for some help on installing a esky head lock gyro?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 PM

no, don't use that battery, thats how I fried my 3100 (luckily I was only 6ft in the air when it happened, I had just finished some fast banked circles and circuits, was coming back towards me from across the field and it dropped like a rock), plus the ESky 25a esc isn't meant for that battery, run the risk of it catching fire, but the stock HBK II battery works perfect with it. I can't help you with the ESky HH gyro though, the one I bought didn't work so I switched to a Telebee, works great
Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Nuttcaze / Jakep85,

I'll have to interject here a tad.. I have the HBK2, been flying it for about 8 months or so..
I'm running a 3900kv motor, with an 11 tooth pinion and the 25 amp Esky ESC..also, the 43 tooth tail modification. Using the 1800 mAh 15C battery and I don't have any problems at all with this set-up.

Jakep85,

What kinda help ya need getting the gyro installed?

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 PM

yeah the 3900 but a 3100 will fry with that battery I got proof lol
but using the 25a ESky esc is risky with that battery, sometmes they work without fail but sometimes they catch fire like mine and a few others, not saying not to use it but theres no way I'd use the 25a with anything besides the 3100 and stock HBK II battery, just not worth the risk, the heli might fall 50ft from the sky in flames (sorry Emptywallets ) but of course IMO
Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That battery should work fine in your setup. I ran a 15C 1500mAh lipo in the same setup and never even got the motor or ESC warm. I tend to believe nutt's problem was something else and not the battery burning up the motor and ESC. The motor will only draw as much amperage or volts as it needs.......... It is not a vacuum cleaner that just keeps sucking power till it overheats itself and frys electronics.
I will agree that the Esky 25A ESC is not a very decent one but as long as you keep the throttle out of it it should do ok. The 3100 is not a very powerful motor and barely has enough oomph to keep the HBK2 aloft. Your pinion choice on that motor will determine how well it performs also. I ran a 10T on mine and it did just fine. I just sold that heli to a flying buddys coworker and he will be joining us on our weekend informal flight meets.
The 3100 is good for hovering and slow FF, too much throttle and it will overheat quickly and like nutt's did..........drop out of the sky. The key to your setup is to fly it for a few minutes, set it down and check temps. Battery, motor and ESC. Get in the habit of doing this every couple of minutes for the first few batterys. this will give you an idea of the motor and batterys willingness to get along.
My experiences using a larger battery with a higher capacity rating have not ended in failure or destruction. With 7 helis in the 300 and 400 class I have yet to fry any electronics or motors.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:06 PM

ok...i got all the brushless & battery hooked up and flew it a few times today with flight/hover times for about 15-20 minutes. The motor/esc and battery weren't even warm to the touch. Hopefully nothing happens with it.....

It doesn't make sense to use a 1000maH 10C battery with a 16 or 18 gauge wire, when the esc even has 14 gauge....that right there puts a strain on everything!!!

i'm still trying to trim everything out before i switch to the headlock...but if anybody has some experience with the esky hh gyro and could explain what to do to set it up, that'd be AWESOME!!!

I put the 43tooth pulley upgrade on it at the same time as the 3100 motor...and HOLY CRAP does it have a big difference between stock and the new upgraded...lift off is sooooo smooth!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 PM

hmm, maybe I was just flying to aggresivly for the 3100 (w/10t), but at the same time I also had my Belt CP battery in it too. But I will def agree the 3100 is great for hovering and GENTLE flight but couldn't resist showing you guys

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Jakep85,

Sounds like your good to go, and everything is working well. As ArrowNaughtic mentioned, keep and eye on the heat of everything for a few battery packs. Also, as Arrow mentioned, regardless of the C rating of your battery and mAh rating, the motor will only pull so much of that. Maximum current the 3100kv will draw is 13 amps, soo, with a 25 amp ESC you good to go. Too, down the road concider a 3900kv motor, it's a drop in, no modifications needed. With a 3800kv motor it's a little wider and either a space is needed to mount the motor or modifications needed to the main frame.. From experience, stay away from the 3800. Also consider a bigger pinion gear, 10 or 11 tooth. Works wonders...

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM

Nuttcaze,

I must say, you are a NUT.. I've seen ALMOST all of your videos, excellent job. You are definately addicted, like most of us. I think this guy has more than you though. Love your inputs...

See picture below yours,

Dave / Choppersrule

ORIGINAL: nuttcaze

hmm, maybe I was just flying to aggresivly for the 3100 (w/10t), but at the same time I also had my Belt CP battery in it too. But I will def agree the 3100 is great for hovering and GENTLE flight but couldn't resist showing you guys

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71801.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	950638  
Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 PM

jakep85,

Don't run so long on your battery m8, your risking damaging the cells by dropping the voltage too far.
I run amongst other things 2400mah's and limit those to 12mins and the cells are down to 3.7 volts, well within safe limits.
They recommend you don't go below 60% to ensure longevity of your batteries.

While we doing fleet pictures...

Three will be for sale shortly, basically to part fund another Twister Storm 440 and a T-Rex 500 for her indoors.
So,
Bye bye HoneyBee King 2, you've been a nasty little helicopter but you turned out alright in the end.
Bye bye Belt CP, you've never been any trouble and you've been a pleasure to own.
Bye bye Mini Pred, you only ever needed your blades replaced, the better the blades the better you flew. Thank you

Would I ever have another E-Sky CP? NO ! Not until they improve their quality control ! Actually that's a lie, a Belt CP with a T-Rex / Copter X head on and I'd be tempted.

Nip

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56701.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	950677  
Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (3)

my god nutt, you have 2 of everything except ESmart!!!

Well back to point, 15C is fine with the 3100kv. I've used 1200, 1500, 1800 and 2100mah 15c's with my 3100kv and no problem at all. Until my brother had to crash the king 2 right onto the main gear without the canopy!