Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 AM
dooleyje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Good morning everyone, A very cold and windy weekend and no flying for me except the sim. The EVO is just about rrady to test fly. I have to mount the muffler and program the gyro. The gyro programming is almost the same as the Logetech 2100. You press a button on the gyro and move the rudder stick/button to change the color and item you are wanting to adjust. The Fut520 recommends that you use the standard default program on type of response and hold/piro rate and then adjust after you test fly it. As with all Fut gyros you will need to make sure the control in the proper direction. Unlike the 401 the 520 allows you to adjust the total travel in both directions. Just make sure the radio has no compesation for the tail programmed and instal the servo and links so the tail slider is centered with NO trim set in. The gyro will trim it self. The canopy is cut out (yep milk jug) I have not decorated it yet and I need to wash it with warm soap and water and mount the wind screen. I am going to use the included decal sheet partially and will us a lot of day glow orange in place of the red and yellows. Thus my helicopter trade mark. The orange will glow in the worse of sky conditions and besides we seasoned flyer need all the help we can to see. I am going to clean my shop today before I do anything so I can find everythingLOL. My bench is a mess and would not want to show that the JAY( shssss don't tell him). Jay is a great example for hobbiest as he keeps his stuff in brand new and perfect condition including his shop.

I started the orange thing on my very first helicopter. It was a Kyosho Concept 30 and was one of the first to arrive in the hobbie shop. Back then the was not much internet ordering and you had to rely on you LHS for the parts. WOW a lot of years ago. A good freind of mine still flies that heli from time to time. The parts are not to be found so he is very carefull of it. Thwe concept was about the size or a tiny bit bigger than the Trex500 and had an OS .32sx. Tons of power for that helicopter. Today the .30 size helis are actually .50 size frames and 7.5 lb frames are a little heavy for the .30 and the OS.37 is what you will need to sport fly it. Not enough for hard 3d though. I bet that if the manufacters would make a True .30 size they would sell plenty of them. I guess the electric is pushing the nitro machine further away.

I have the day off from work. and only one show tomorrow afternoon for an hour. I have a club meeting and an indoor flyin tomorrow night. Speaking of jobs, my part time actuall pick up I was loaded with call all weekend. I guess the folks just opened up their new computers. Mostly getting the printers and internet to work. I had one guy who was trying to upgrade an XP machine to Win7 BOING!!!! Not a good idea. You have to scrub your hard drive clean and reload everything you had on it. I suggest if you do that then you will need to purchase an external HD and down load all you stuff as a backup. You will the need the professional or Plat win 7 to make it work You will also find that you will need to add some memory. The old 2700-3200 memory chips are about $60 for a gig so that can run into some money. If you have an xp machine just leave it alone and wait to upgrade to a new machine with a super fast processor and tons on memory. My desk top is a 4x cor with 16gig of memory. I loaded it when I upgraded from the Vista to win 7. (free) Anyway this guy lost most of his stuff and was screaming at me for designing a program that did not work LOL Some folks just do not read the directions!!! Good news is that we got it loaded,, bad news is that he has a clean hard drive and he will have to purchase a lot of programs.

I Have rambled enough so off we go to the shop with a shovel and the cleaning begins,

Jim
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
ShadowFox

Ouch thanks for the heads up. I do alot of IT work here in my office so things like that help alot. I always have my guys back up everything before we put anything on their computer. I have seen adding programs to the computer tear it up and they lose everything. It gives me plenty of hands on practice considering I am working on an IT degree.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
dooleyje

yeah win7 from xp is not worth it.There is nothing wrong with XP. Now Vista is trash and good bye to it. Best thing you can do for an old xp machine is load it up with mem and replace the battery if a laptop and maybe upgrade to a really nice vid card and 24' flat screen HD and press on. My lap top is xp I have no issues at all with it. I used to work in telecommunications and IT I have an engineering degree/ and also have a CCNA certificate. I used to work special circuits with multiple servers. I am no Geek squad canididate by any degree but I put practical trouble shooting skills to work. I look at what is not broken and not search for what is broken....shorter in most cases to solve AND NEVER DISMISS THE STUPID STUFF.

The shop is cleaned up and all the batteries are on charge for tomorrow night. Wow I found tools I haven't seen in a whileLOL. A litttle lunch and back on the EVO.

See Ya

Jim
Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
flyachopper1

Hello all,
Still frozen, snowing off and on and even some freezing driddle out on the Great Plains. "Great" used in the context of size only. I am really tired of being cold. Okay, like Donica would say, enough about what we can't change. Speaking of that Native American princess, she is safely in Okie City and doing her magic for those that need it. She sends a big "Hiddee Doodles" to you all.

Have not flown at all for days. The indoor area is occupied by a big, black, beautiful A Star full scale being prepped for its next round of services. Too darn cold, wet and windy outdoors to even risk flying. I have been filling my time out in the garage installing some 'hop up' goodies into the Harley. Decided to add high performance cams, adjustable pushrods, roller lifters, roller rockers, and rejet the carb. Should gain another 20 horses or so. Can't help myself. I have always been that way with my machines. Have to tweak stuff all the time. That scoot should run somewhere just shy or past the deadly point this time.

I did spend some time inspecting the 500 last night. I knew everything was fine, but like I mentioned, when I cannot run a machine, I simply must go hands on in some form. Both the 500 and the 450 are flight ready and resting comfortably on the shelf in the workroom. All the LiPos are charged to storage levels for now as I do not know how long this weather will be on us. I did order two more packs for the 500 and one to replace the bad one for the 450. Sticking with Protek brand packs for now as they are serving me well.

JD me friend,
No embarassment in a cluttered workspace. I know a lot of those that work just fine from that. I am one of those dreaded 'neat freaks' and I don't try to impose that on anyone else (unless they are using my workspace). I have to admit at times even my area gets out of control in the middle of some project. I have times when I sit back and think "where in the heck is that tool? I just had it in my hand. Where is that screw I just took out?" There were a lot of laughs and teasing when Donica and I were both at the bench working on separate birds and our 'stuff' was getting kind of mixed together. We would both reach for the same tool at the same time and a little teasing and grabbing back and forth would occur. I almost always gave in to the big blinky brown eyes and a sweet little southern "pleeeaaassseee". I know, I am a bit soft when it comes to her, but in the end it is more than worth it. Right now I am not real proud of the condition of the garage where the scooter work is going on. It is a bit messy with pieces parts and tools lying around. I spend some time before each session picking up and organizing both at the heli bench and in the garage. Then promptly turn it all into a mess again. At least I am off to a good start though. I did finally build a workbench on one side of the garage to help keep at least a sane level of neatness. Made it from a two by eight piece of 3/4" plywood, mounted it to the wall with barn door hinges so it can be lifted up against the wall when not needed. As yet though, it has not been pushed up out of the way once. Seems like there is always some reason to need bench space.

Well now, I read the things here about the different Windows platforms and am a bit puzzled. I ran XP on my previous laptop. I have Vista Premium on the new one. I had gotten to dislike XP. It worked fine for most things, but with the more intensive needs fell on its butt. Locked up, slowed a lot and was poor with video. Yes, some of that was due to the machine itself not being built up to some of what I needed, but was upgraded to make up for that. Still had troubles. Now, I am not by any means a computer dynamo but can run one pretty good. I consulted with some of the local 'gurus' and was told that Vista would be better than XP. When Donica and I decided to get new laptops we went for identical machines, talked with (online and locally) those that should know a lot. For what we needed them to be capable of we were steered toward Vista. Of course this was prior to Win 7 being released. We both have come to like Vista. It is doing everything we ask of it and has been a lot more trouble free than XP. We did however, have our machines built around that platform and in a lot of it went beyond what was needed. It could be that we are not using our computers for the same things as others or our needs don't suprass what Vista can do. I have looked into Win 7 and it (as they all do in the beginning) looks to be several steps up from the prior stuff. But, as yet we haven't had any big problems using Vista so we plan to stay with it for now. If there are some issues we need to know about I would love to talk with you via e mail and maybe we can avoid some future troubles. Educate me friends, please. Oh yes, the idea of backing up is something I learned is necessary way back with Win 98. Donica and I both have stand alone Ultra Travel Drive 80 gig hard drives and back up constantly. I especially did that when I was running the flying business and had a lot of info I didn't dare lose. Always a good idea.

Started the heater in the garage an hour ago, so it should be comfy out there. Time to go pick up, organize and create a new mess for awhile. Today the top end of the front cylinder goes back together. That finishes the motor work. I now have the wheels back from my favorite bike mechanic with new tires, bearings, seals installed and all balanced for 130 mph. I hope to at least get the rear wheel reinstalled today before quitting. One part of having the scoot taken apart that I like is the opportunity to deep clean things. She's looking shinier than ever. Can hardly wait to be able to take it out and get her all dirty again. A friend that lives 70 miles South of here has a hot rod shop and is going to let me put the scoot on his dyno. I will trailer it out there when it is done. It would be interesting if there was something like that for testing helis. It would be kind of cool to know just how much power they run. I know there are formulae to calculate this but there are always little differences. It would be fun to be able to tweak the power transfers minutely.

Okay, must quit bantering on.

Later me friends.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 PM
dooleyje

Just got in, I am sick as a dog tonight. I think I have a UTI. Right now 102 temp. May go to the horspittal if the fever does not drop. I have an appointment tomorrow. I did make it through an hour or so of indoor flying and flew all my Guai batteries out. As the night wore on the worse I felt.

Win Products,, A lot of folks are well satisfied with Vista. And a lot are fine with xP. xP needs a bit of memory and will be lease trouble free at that point. most installed graphics cards do not have enough memorry to run HD type apps. That is why I suggest an after market one with 2 gig on Vid memeory. If you can load your machine up with all it can take. You can also use some of your hard drive as a virtual mem source. Why I do not like VISTA?. Too many programs and office apps will not work with it and a lot ofXP apps will not migrate to it. It takes way tooooooooooo long to load up and start. You have to dig out programs for maintance and thats a drag. The stacked pages are ok but the Win 7 will let put them side to side. I also hate the Vista NAGGING NAGGING NAGGING. Vista is also a memory hound. I can go on. I do a lot of music productions and you have to have a machine that will smoothly produce DVD quality sound. The Vista would skip the XP did not but was slow. The Win7 is super fast and my desk top will start up in less than 20sec compared to 3-5 mins with Vista. Anyway. it is more how you will use it. My sim would skip from time to time with Vista and is seamless with WIN7.

I rambled enough,, going to bed and stay there.

Jim
Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
cajungirl

Hellooo theah y'all[sm=biggrin.gif],
I'm on a lunch break havin' a BLT and some tater salad and wanted to say "hiya". Brrrrr-Shore is a lot of winter everywhere this year. Even my beloved Louisiana is having a winter. It's cold & blustery here in Okie City too. Lots of snow and ice still all over the ground and drivin' is not fun at all. Driving here from Nebraska was an adventure for sure. Lots of slickery roads and slow goin'. I was exhausted by the time I got here. I know it's old news, but, there surely are a lot of folks out there that shouldn't be drivin' on snow at all. They can't seem to understand 'bout slowin' down and not crowdin' all up behind others. Even a lot of the truckers that should know how to behave on the highway act like they don't notice the bad conditions. I pulled off into rest stops a lot on this trip just to let the crazies get on down the road a ways so I could try to cover some miles without bein' stuck out there with a buncha impatient, stressed out fender crinklers[sm=72_72.gif]. Since I've been here I've been using the hospital shuttle a lot and leavin' my car snugly put away in the indoor parking I rent. I've gone out a coupla times for eatin' and that's about it. We're seein' a lot of people comin' to the ER that have been drug outta wrecked cars. I really hope y'all are bein' safe about drivin' and stayin' where it's warm.

Hey thar Mr. JD,
Dang it!! I sure don't like hearin' you're ill again[sm=disappointed.gif]. Please take care, see the doc, get enough rest (which means don't git ta gittin' too soon) so your body can catch up with things. Y'all are havin' weather that your systems aren't used to and you need to be real careful. If it turns out you do have upper tract infection you need to take care of yourself real good. That can turn serious real fast. K, I'll stop naggin'. I just worry 'bout ya. Really enjoy hearin' you're makin' progress on your helis. I had to chuckle some thinkin' about a messy workbench. I think I kinda drove Jay a little crazy makin' messes workin' next to him. Hey, it was my mess and I knew where stuff was. It's true we had a lot of fun over it all though. Coupla times I moved some of his stuff when he wasn't lookin' just to poke at him a little. I'd let him look for somethin', pick it up and say "it's right here. Can't you keep up with your stuff or what?" Only got away with that a coupla times and he caught me movin' a part. Lotsa laughs. He got even though. Later when we were settlin' down to watch a movie he had hidden my favorite pair of warm fuzzy socks I wear as slippers. He let me wander all over the place lookin' for them sayin' things like "dang it, I know I had them yesterday" and "where in the heck could I have put them?"[sm=bananahead.gif] I went into the bedroom to look for them (my second trip in there) and he laid them on the couch where I sit in plain sight. When I came back out and saw them he tried to pull the "jeez, can't you see any more? We gonna have to send you in for your granny glasses or what?" I sat next to him, put the socks on and gave him one of my backfist whacks on the shoulder[sm=punching.gif]. 'Course you do that to an onery Irish you best be ready for some good humored jostlin' and pokin' around for a minute or two. Shore is fun. I'll not get too involved in the 'puter talk. I don't know enough to get into that[sm=what_smile.gif]. I haven't even read anything 'bout 7 yet. I do know that my Vista seems to want to glitch a tiny bit when I'm running powerpoit presentations at work and sometimes when I use the reset on the sim it hesitates and then kinda jumps. Jay had me reset the resolution in the G4 to a little lower setting and that doesn't happen as much. I know y'all will trade good info and hash it out. Jay asked me on the phone this mornin' if I think I would want to change to 7 and I more or less told him that I know he'll get edicated and if he wants to change over I'm all for it. He said from what he's heard from you it's likely we'll be switchin'. Thanks again for sharin' your brains there mistah. you're always helpin' people.

Matty,
You be careful there too. After livin' in paradise so long you and your family need to be cautious in that cold weather. Let your systems acclimate slowly. Oh sorry[sm=eek.gif], forgot my manners. didn't even say 'ello first. Well hi then. Hope y'all are fine. Any possibilities of gettin' to work on any more flyin' machines comin' up yet? There any of those folks with flyin' machines realizin' the knack, talent, knowledge, perky personality and sense of humor you have to offer? Somebodys gotta need somethin' done. There's a lot of well wishin' comin' your way from over here in the 'colonies'.

Haven't done any kind of flyin' here. The hotel I'm at this time doesn't have any public spaces big enough to make it worth flyin' the 520. Just meeting rooms all divided up by those funky sliding wall thangs. Those are most always pulled out to make small spaces and the hotel gets a fee to use them. I tried to ask the asst. manager yesterday 'bout maybe using some space if they weren't occupied and she wasn't very open to the idea. "Sides, she was one of those folks that has a bigger view of her "position" than those around her. Kinda snooty and curt talkin'. One of those that looks over the top of her glasses at you tryin' to intimidate. Reminded me of the 'church lady' after catchin' you lookin' at a dirty magazine or sumpthin'. She dropped our conversation every time the phone rang to jump on it even though there was two other people there that could take the calls. I may be too uppity 'bout that, but it irritates me when they do that. One of the other girls tried to answer the phone once and that 'lower management' person snatched it right out from under her hand. The other girl looked at me with a kind of 'sorry' look. I gave up askin', treated her real nice and acted like nothin' she did or said mattered to me. I walked away smilin' and left the frownin' to her. Betcha my dinner digested better'n hers did.

I do have my beauty of a T Rex sittin' on a table in my room where I can admire it. Shore wish I could fly it though. A cute little story 'bout what happend when I got here and was carryin' the heli into the hotel all bundled up in its 'luminum case. A young couple was waitin' for the elevator with me. The gal asked if I worked for a museum. At first it didn't register why she would ask that. I said no and kind of looked surprised I guess. She pointed at the heli case and said "T Rex? I thought maybe you were carryin' some bones in there." Oh, Okay. Then I figgered it out. I chuckled and told her it was a helicopter. Got a real blank look and a weak smile from her then. Her hubby caught on right away and said "radio controlled?" I sat the case down, popped it open and showed them the heli. He was fascinated and she asked if it was a gift for some guy in my life. When I told her it was mine she was a little surprised 'bout a girlie havin' one of those. We chatted it up all the way up to our floor and by the time we got up there she was ribbin' her hubby about a dirt bike. Apparently he rides and had been puttin' her off 'bout one of her own usin' the old 'girlies don't do that thing'. I think I made a friend of her and maybe he don't like me quite so much now. Kinda tossed a kink into his song and dance.

Uh-oh, the clock is still runnin' here. I'm 'bout to be late gettin' back to my duties. Better go attend to those.

Pleeaassee theah everybody. Get and be healthy and safe.

See y'all later,

Donica
Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM
ShadowFox

Cajun girl, well if ya had the chance to I would take you to the range with me. I have had alot of strange looks for the rest of the guys when I bring my daughter out there with me. She is head to toe in hot (I mean HOT) pink and her hair is all done up. She pulls out her little chipmunk and sets it on the table. I have heard some guys talk lip about her and her little gun but neither of us pay any mind to them we just go about doing set up. Well long story made short by the end of the range she has fired every thing from a 30-30, 300 win mag, 44 mag desert eagle, but the best part was when she was picking off targets at 150 meters[8D] with her little chipmunk. You would have to see how she holds the rifle to truly apreachate this. There is no check to stock weld. So it does not surprise me when I hear of "girls" doing things like this, I figure more power to em and then I ask if they have any tips and tricks.
Hey guys with the season the way it is ya'll best be careful. I don't know about ya'lls parts but over here there has been alot of people getting really sick over night. I don't just mean coughs and snot I mean going to the hospital sick. Wash your hands, get plenty of sleep, lots of hot food, and of course if your partner is getting sick and trying to play the hard core role firmly plant your foot in their rear end[>:].
We are suppose dto be having some really ugly weather come in the next two days but I figure it will be cool and quiet tonight so I should be able t oget some more air time in. Brit has moved to flying outside with me from time to time but it has to be dead still. Even a little wind or small gust sends her little heli off. She took it out last night and of course jasmine was sitting at the back door watching us and if she could speak I am sure she was cussing at us for taking the heli outside where she couldn't get it. Life may be hard at times and there are days when you would love to just slam the office door shut and tell every one t ogo jump off the roof but it is moments like this that seem to make everything else just go away.
Ya'll take care and get some air time in for me.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
matty_p80

hey all!

what a splendid day! woke up to 4inches of snow covering everywhere!

typically, i had arranged for the brakes to be done on the car (not that it was beyond my capabilities but all pads were being replaced along with the rear discs and i don't have the tools or the place to do the work - plus it was really snowy!!!), so i had to take that down to the garage, which was quite interesting and the wife and i walked back to the house (nice winter's day 2 mile walk)

then it was a walk with the wiff down into town to the job centre to "sign on" for my 'Jobseeker's Allowance'! (it still grates having to do it as i was always brought up to pay my own way and not sponge, whether it's other people or the state!)! funnily enough it wasn't for the lack of looking but nowhere had any form of sledges for sale!

when we'd got back to home the garage had foned so i then had to walk back down to the garage to go and pick up the heap!! got back home to go straight out again to go sledging until the light faded!! yahoo! with the lack of a sledge i resorted to slinging myself down the hill on a large polythene bag held between my legs!! my arse hurts but it was excellent fun! we met up with friends whose son is Naiya's B.F. at school who brought along a plastic paddling pool type thingy in the shape of a boat which both the nippers fit in!
it was probably one of the best sledges there and even Jules had a go in it, which, would you believe, was her very first time sledging!!![X(]

it's more than likely going to freeze tonight so we'll have to see what it's like tomorrow for sledging and hopefully we'll be back out there and my butt will be even more sore

i've been bad and ordered me some goodies from a couple of different hobby shops, including a couple of 150mAh 3.7V LiPo's for the mSR and a spiffy new charger which will cope with up to 8cell LiPo's and do other chemistries too!! yummy!!!

got ta git t'gittin as our lovely Choctaw friend would say!!!

gators

Matty )}}}}}}]@>
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
flyachopper1

Hello fellow flippers,

Nothing heli happened today. The weather forbids it. Well, I did organize some of the parts for the A Star project to get an idea where to start with that. That's all though. And, I did clean up the workroom too.

To borrow a word from Donica, yeehaw!! The motor work on the Harley is done. Put the tanks back on it today, poured in a little petrol and fired it up. Ooh-yah, sounds nasty good. The new cams have her loping real nice and at higher rpms it sounds like it eats raw meat. Now spring can't come soon enough. C'mon Mamma Nature, give me a 50 degree day, I dare ya. Tomorrow the front wheel goes back on and that's it. Done and ready to ride.

We have a blizzard going right now. Not a lot of snow, but 40 mph winds kicking it around in clouds. Just plain unfit weather for much at all.

Hey JD,
Hope you are doing better. We old f**ts have to be a little easier on ourselves than we used to. Takes longer to get over the little bugs so they don't turn into something worse. I know one little medico girl that is worrying right now. I still don't know for sure what kind of nitro I really want. My taste in helis seems to be getting more exotic and expensive these last few years. I'm giving some serious thought to a nitro powered scale of some sort. I will do as I usually do. Take my time, read and search a lot and probably buy something that challenges my building skills. Still have to finish the A Star scale too so I may wait until I'm further along with that.

Matty me mate,
I'd be wishin' you a fine day but it seems you already had that so I will extend the wish to tomorrow. I 'used' to enjoy sledging often. We have some real nice big hills near here that get used for that a lot. Haven't been in a long time. We used to slide down the hills on anything we could get going. I even tried to 'surf' down once standing on a tobbagan. That quickly turned into a ride down the hill behind it on my arse. Lots of laughs for others, red face and bruises to my personal parts for me. If I did that now I would shatter. Keep a stiff upper lip there me friend. Something will come for work. You have earned your share of the jobseekers aid so don't stress over that. If it were brought to betting I would be putting a hand full of coin on you.

Nightpuppy,
You would be put to an easy task taking Donica shooting and if she could take you up on your invite would go. She grew up as a Louisiana country girl. She owns her own AK47, Glock 40 and handles them quite well. The 40 travels with her. Her daddy made sure all his kids could shoot and handle a bow too. He tells me she bagged her first deer with the bow at twelve years old. We have gone to the range here bucoup times and shot the place up pretty good. It, of course, is no surprise to a lot of us that the gals get involved in all the things we do, but, in a lot of the cities Donica travels to there is still a lot of the macho prejudices and worn out ideas of what the ladies should limit themselves to. Donica is a good ambassador for changing those outlooks whenever she can. She is just a whip of a thing and can be real sweet and tactful when talking to others about letting the girls have fun too. That part of her is, to me, quite nice. I like my partner to be my partner. Not a tag along spectator.

I am out of here for now to have a few beers. Warm my feet and watch a movie borrowed from the neighbor (No Country for Old Men). It's about a guy that stumbles on drugs and money. Takes the money and deals with the people he takes it from. Set in West Texas.

Hmmm-interesting new toy. Check it out https://www.spindirect.com/product_o...1541d2a279235f

Later me friends.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Mack66

I just can't keep up any more. Oh well.

Still got this snot nosed thing going. Thought it was gone yesterday evening until I settled into bed and started choking and coughing. Sigh. A little "222" equivalent from Canada helped settle me down to sleep though (aspirin with a bit of codeine). I must be no more than 2-3 days away from recovery. I can feel it. This isn't the flu. Just a rhino-virus, I figure. Or maybe a hippo-virus. Who knows.

Oh yes, my crunched truck is all fixed and looking like new. It's resting comfortably in the garage at home now. My (Canadian) brother-in-law calls it a f*&^ing Cadillac with a box on the back. Guess he's right this 2006 1500 crew cab even has heated seats.

Don't know if I mentioned it, but my fastest computer, a 3GHz machine that I built myself back in 2004 stopped working while I was in Las Vegas for Thanksgiving. Yep, that's right. I came home and it wouldn't start. Dead. No life. Didn't take to long to conclude that the Antec True 480W power supply died, so ordered a replacement Corsair 550W after doing some serious research. For you nerds, it is built around an ABIT IC7-G Motherboard (Pentium 4, Socket 478, 875P, ATX, max 4GB DDR, 800MHz FSB). I have it set up to run RAID0 on a pair of high speed SATA's. It was designed to handle video editing/DVD burning, and high end games. I use it for RealFlight 4.5 and it handles that with ease.

Soooo no problem, right? I pulled the old supply and installed the new one. This requires unplugging and plugging a lot of power cables all over the place (the case has five fans, the motherboard and graphics card have their own fans, etc etc. Long story short, I accidentally bumped one of the SATA cables loose from the motherboard and (because I was lazy) I tried replugging it without my reading glasses. Well I ended up sticking it on the end of a jumper, which came out when I pulled the cable back out. Tried plugging the jumper back in, then decided it was plugged in on the wrong two pins so shifted it back. Turns out it is the ONLY jumper on the board that will change things without power to the board: plugging it in on the wrong two pins erased my CMOS memory! And of course the RAID setup has numerous options (there are two independent chip sets on the MB as options etc. etc.). Anyway it took me a while to get it sorted, but hoo-ray, I finally got my kickass machine back and now I can simulate while the Canadians send their cold weather to Houston. I am now "burning it in" for the next week or so.

Speaking of weather, it looks like the weather in Okiehoma is gonna be on us starting tomorrow morning at 6am. The weather people on TV are so excited about this cold front that they are giving us an hour by hour play by play itinerary for the darn thing. They're talking about early outs from school, potential closures and so on. Hahahaha. I grew up in Canada, and I'm here to tell ya that if they closed schools in Canada every time the temperature went below freezing they'd never come outta their houses for the entire winter! But down here it is best that bubba stays home. He don't know how to drive in this stuff.

Matty
Looks like the UK is getting hit with more cold weather too. Doesn't sound like you're bothered by it much. I do miss toboggans in the winter but I sure as heck don't miss shoveling snow or delivering morning papers in -20F, 20mph winds. We used to use cardboard boxes as a substitute as well.

JD
Go to bed and stay there. Get well. Take it easy and stay outta the cold air. Chicken soup! Drugs! Read a long book and sit quietly. Forget daytime TV. There's nothing on. I'm reading Sarah Palin's Going Rogue. Interesting book.

Jay
Your bike sounds great. Wish I could have heard it start up. I love the sound of an engine with an aggressive camshaft in the morning!

Donica
Come on down and shoot sporting clays with me! I was gonna say come on down to warm and sunny Houston and shoot sporting clays with me but well, that ain't gonna happen too soon. Sure glad I got that duck hunt in before Christmas. Boy it would be tough out there on Matagorda Island this week.

Sarge
I'm so proud of you teaching your daughter to shoot. I see the same thing going on over here at the shooting ranges. I also see parents and grandparents working with their kids out on the range lots of times. And they are very skilled and safety minded at all times. My grandson is going out with me as soon as practical. I'm going to see to it that he is well trained in all manners of firearms and hunting. The sporting clays offer is out to you too. But then again, it might be a tad cold right now hahaha. You're gonna get what we're gonna get here. Hope you don't have to go out and train in it...

Well look at these rambling of an old man. Sorry to keep you up. Best go in and see if the wife has the Rockets winning. She's a huge Rockets fan and I still haven't figured out why she puts herself through this every year. She's so loyal that she'll sit up til midnight rooting for them even if they're having the tar beat out of them. She even has pajamas with Rockets logos all over them!

Be safe, stay well, and in some cases GET WELL!

Mack
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
dooleyje

I am feeling a bit better this morning. I stayed in bed yesterday woke up starving. My fever is 100 this morning so a little better. I am not hurting as bad this morning. At least I am on my feet. It does get old when you get seasoned. I must have drunk something out of a rusty can, lower infection Donica. Nuff about that.

The blizzard is on it's way here and looking to have a bit of snow. The temps have not been much aout of freezing all week and colder next week. This will be our second snow this year. This old cabin is cold this morning or it feels like it to me. I have a big fire going. The dog has her doggie hoodie on. My mind is wandering......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....

Must be the meds,

Jim
Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 PM
cajungirl

Hay y'all,
Lunch time again. The docs here feed the nurses one day a month and they've set out a heck'uva spread today. I have a plate in front of me with a nice piece of country fried chicken, some greenbean salad, some of those little baby taters mixed with carrots, slab of corn pone brushed with honey, medium sized glass of cranberry juice and a cup of Swiss mocha. Good stuff. I'm sharin' a table with three of the surgery nurses and they're givin' me some teasin' 'bout bein' on the 'puter talkin to y'all. They're suggestin' all kinds of treatments for my 'addiction'. Lotsa smiles and giggles goin' on here. I told them not to get too close, this affliction to helis is contagious in all its forms and stages. The only treatment for it is participation. Brit, Yolanda, Nina and Suze all say "hi".

Well, I had some idle time this morning before things got goin' here and I went explorin'. There's some parts of this hospital I hadn't snooped around in yet. I found a big ol' room just next to the supply area that's hardly ever used. It's set aside for emergency triage space in case of disaster. Right now it only has a few tables and chairs in it. It's big. I'm guessin' maybe 40 ft. by 60 ft with a 10 ft. ceiling and lots of lights. I'm gonna ask around today and see if I can get permission to do some flyin' in there on my off time. Management here are good down to earth folks and I'm bettin' they say yes.

I plan to take some of these little teasers sittin' here in there and expose them to 'Heliosis' and all it's symptoms and effects. Whirrin' sounds in the head, improved eye hand abilities, rubbery legs, elevated heartrate, widespread sensations of tingliness, visions of thangs flyin' in the field of vision, elevated feelings of euphoria and well being, incurable smilin', spontaneous laughter, compulsion to be drawn to open spaces, improved mechanical skills and intelligence, occasional dreams of bein' in edenic outdoor places havin' fun, the dreaded tendency to spend money on little pieces parts and the most prevalent symptom of them all, getting to know and associate with a group of very smart, kind, funny and diverse people also afflicted with this pandemic. Maybe it's my addiction ruling my judgement, but I don't feel evil at all.

Mistah JD,
I'm purely tickled to hear you're feelin' better. Keep up the rest, eat right and get over that pesky little infection. Have some apple juice. That's good for lower tract infection.

Matty dude,
Good to hear from you. Sounds like some quality family time goin' on there and that's wonderful. Sleddin' has been a rare thing in my life and I should consider goin' someday soon.

Sarge,
The invite to go shootin' sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for askin'. Would be fun to show off for ya runnin' some 7.62 through the ol' AK. I like that shooter a lot. Makes a lot of noise and smacks targets real hard. Love hearin' about your time with your little girl.

Mack man,
You be good to yourself too now and get rid of that virus. Same for you as JD. Rest, eat right, have some apple juice and don't tire yourself. Your invite to shoot up some of Texas is appreciated too. I've done quite a bit of shotgun shootin' with my daddy and brothers. Not so much the little flying plates though. We usually recycled a lot of beer and soda cans. Small as I am those big ol' pepperguns kinda beat me up. No fancy stocks with shock absorbers & such. Just purty much off the rack blasters. I used a little .410 a lot 'cause it was nicer to my shoulder. I do enjoy blastin' away with a big ol' 12 or 20 guage though.

By the way, got the first deer with a bow when I was 14. A nice five point. It was with a small compound bow my daddy got me for my 13th B'day and was one of those lucky shots. Out of four of us I was the only one to bag that day. I still have that little bow.

K now, I'm gettin' my keyboard kinda dirty tryin' to munch this great food and type too. Far as I'm concerned there's only one way to enjoy fried chicken and that's to grab it with both hands and bite. None of that prissy pokin' at it with a fork for me. So, I'll be goin' for now.

Love ya & see ya,

Donica
Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Well I've been reading through this thread a bit and figured I would finally just post and say hi. A couple of you have already been helping me out in my thread and I greatly appreciate it

I'm out in Michigan and it's quite white right now, finally called up the LHS and asked about help with my setup before I get going on my own. Looks like it's going to be the Saturday after next, since I'm going to be out of town this weekend. I might take it out in the garage and just do a little sliding around, as per Radds guide.

I'm actually pretty stoked at the moment, I was just tooling around in RealFlight with my DX6i (which I could actually use some help setting up with RF, I'm not getting any throttle hold or dual rates, and I dunno how it's handling the 3way switch). Practiced hovering around, nose in some, a little forward flight with the 400 from the first G3.5 expansion pack. I had a nice Blade400 on my other computer but it died on me, and I haven't had luck getting the model installed on this computer (this one is running G4 while the other had 4.5, but it said it was a G4 model so I'm not sure what the deal is). Anyway, after spending a while with that I decided to mess around with one of the meaner models and went with the Dominion 3D. I could have went in through calibration and inverted the dual rate channel to turn them on, but I decided to just fly it in low rate. I'm kind of glad that I did because I actually managed to get some of my first piro flips D: They weren't super pretty but they were at least recognizable. No crashes either (well, none as a direct result of the piro flips anyway). I thought I'd never be able to figure them out, but I finally realized that I don't have to memorize the collective inputs, I can just watch the disc.

So yeah, feeling pretty good at the moment. Dunno how long it will be before I have the nerve to try piro flips in real life but just doing them on the sim is huge for me.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
dooleyje

Welcome to the thread. We will try to help you all we can. I am not sure if you have set you transmitter correctly for the sim. Jay can help here. I use a diff sims. Most sims want you to set it up as a joystick and then program XYZ funtions to the buttons such as Idle up and Throttle hold. Matty has the 400 and knows the program like a pro. He will be pleased to offer suggestions.

I feel a lot better tonight and actually workd for 2 hours before I was sent home due to no work. Speaking of work.. I was offered a job at one on my LHS. Matty knows the one in Mooresville. I think I will take it. He needs someone who knows helis and airplanes. The kids he has now usually only want to deal with cars. Since I am retired already it will give something to do,, beside a little store discount does not hurt.

Donica I have been scarfing all the liquids I can find. I am a little tired but I feel really good. Good news, I have the canopy decorated on the new EVO and it looks pretty darn good. I need to hang the tail blades, muffler, program the tail and adjust and set the pitch and throttle. She be built!!!

Man it's cold outside tonight, no snow yet. I think I will park in front of the tele AND TAKE ROOT.

See ya,

Jim
Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
matty_p80

hey Takeshi!

glad you could come and join us! if you get time try to read the whole thread from the start and you'll get a really good idea of who we all are!

short one for now but welcome to the clan!!

Matty )}}}}}]@>
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Mack66

I tried reading the thread from the beginning and I still don't know who I am!

Mack
Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 AM
dooleyje

Can someone possibly identify Mack?........Hello......hello.....is anybody out there? CQ CQ CQ CQ................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................
Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
adanksa

Hi there have an e sky belt cp and recently brought a 11.1v lipo,esky states that it should be fully charged in 2hrs however when i charge it the green light  stays flashing and does not go solid what am i doing wrong,pls someone help me.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
cajungirl

Hay hay,
Woohoo, got permission to use that big room. Guess what I'm gonna be doin' right after work today. The only conditions for using the space is that I have to let the admins know when I'm going to be in there so they can come watch some. I brought my car to work today so I could haul the heli stuff with me and I have everything charged, inspected and ready to go. I'll be flittin' the 520 asap after quittin' time. I've been faithfully simming every evening and my fingers should be ready to go.

Hello takeshi and adanska,
Nice you stopped by. I can't offer help with your questions as I'm still bein' trained myself. These smart ones here will no doubt help all they can though. They always do.

Mack????? Hmmmmm-sounds kinda familiar. Oh yeah!! Nice guy. I've seen him hanging around here some. Far as I can tell he's kinda easy goin', funny and a little on the bright side. Hails from somewhere in Texas. He does appear to suffer from symptoms of 'Heliosis' though which is very contagious. Don't be scairt though, lots of real good folks have the affliction and have formed 'communities' because of it. He may not admit knowing who he is but I got a feelin' he very well does and is just bein' a little humble. Sign of bein' real about things.

JD,
Keep on gettin' better. You're needed around here.

Jay is out flyin' for real with Ames today in the black beauty. They're doin' GPS surveying for the game and parks people to establish some new boundaries around a reserve area that's going to be used to reintroduce more elk back into the state. Ames asked Jay to go along to show him the ins and outs of the GPS setup. And, I have an inklin' that while the black beauty is out of the hangar there's gonna be some 450 and 500 flyin' goin' on. Okay then, I guess while he sneaks off and spends time with his 'other' girlfriends I'll just stick to my job. He'll come wanderin' back later when their batteries get to weak to make him happy. I'll be waitin' for him as always.

Gotta work so I better go.

Stay healthy, happy and just like you are,

Donica
Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Mack66

OK OK I think I've figured me out now. I'm good.

Mack
Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
dooleyje

Mack? Mack...... oh yeah he was a bad boy too. We went to different schools together.... Know him well...

Jim
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Mack66

By the way, JD my cold or whatever it was is now gone. I am all better. Nanny nanny boo boo.

Mack
Old 01-09-2010, 05:13 AM
mydartswinger

Hello All,
I've read through a few posts on this thread from time to time over the course of it's life but have never posted. I guess it's about time I did.

First off, let me introduce myself. As you can see, my SN is mydartswinger. I got the name from the '73 Dodge Dart Swinger that I had from '03-'08. I got started in RC in 2004 while I was on temporary duty in Arizona. My first ventrue into RC was with the cars using a Team Losi XXX-T stadium truck. I solely did cars/trucks until late 2006, when the heli bug bit me and I picked up a Blade CX1. I messed around a little with it and an AXE CP while overseas in 2007. On my return in 2008, I put the helis on the shelf for a bit and got back into racing electric touring cars. I ended up getting fed up with the group I was racing with, so I sold my ETC stuff and got hot and heavy on helis with a Blade 400. In June of '08, I took yet another break from helis to learn to fly planes. After flying planes for 6 months, I watched a club member fly a Raptor 90. From that point on, the heli bug had bitten and hasn't let go. Been working with helis since then. I fly a Hirobo Shuttle ZXX, a Raptor 50 V2, a Blade mCX, a Mini Titan E325, and soon to be a T-Rex 250. At my current level, I consider myself a sport flyer. I'm in that skill range where I'm a bit more than a beginner, but not quite an intermediate, as my precision leaves a bit to be desired.

I usually don't browse the RCU heli forums much, but I've been doing a bit more here over the last few days. Hopefully I'll be doing more in the future. Most of my heli posts over the last few months have been on HF and RR. I use the same SN on all the forums I'm a part of, so I'm easy to find.

I'm currently winding down a tour in Afghanistan, so I haven't flown much over the last year. I've been stuck with my mCX and a sim. I have managed to squeeze in a few flights on the Mini Titan while here. I've had quite a few issues with it due to the flying environment here, and the fact that it takes about 3 weeks to a month to get parts. I'll be back in the States and flying again this spring.

Over the last few days I purchased a used Align T-Rex 250 from a gentleman on another forum. I got a great deal on it, $325 BNF with $100 of spares. A couple of signs of wear, but nothing major that'll keep it out of the air. I've already got those remedied by ordering a new Canomod canopy and a new DS420 tail servo for it. I'm looking forward to getting home and enjoying my new toy .

Have a great day all!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
dooleyje

Hey Dart,,, Welcome to the thread. This is a place where you are free to fellowship as well as talk about WHAT EVER... All of us have various helicopters and airplanes and talk about everything that comes to mind. My name is Jim (JD)and I have been flying RC for well over 40 years. Helicopters I have 15 years now under my belt so I can generaly help you with anything RC that flies. I started this thread because I noticed a lot of folks being abused by posters, mostly those who didn't know anything, and starting some hard feelings. They even tried to start some stuff here and I invited them to seek their thrills elswhere. We are glad to have you.. I currently fly a Hirobo Sceadu EVolution .50, 2 Trex450's, Copterx 450, Guai200. and a hanger full of airplanes.

The Shuttle is a very fine machine and I have flow many of them teaching folks how to fly.

Thank you very much for your service and we will be here for you,

Jim
Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM
mydartswinger

First off, thank you for your support. Thank you for the warm welcome as well.

The Shuttle is a great machine. I'll probably end up keeping it and putting it up on the shelf once parts are no longer available for it. I had been going with helis on and off for 2 years prior to getting the Shuttle, and was still stuck with hovering (thanks to no local help with my flying and learning on the wrong helis). After I got the Shuttle, less than 2 months after my first hover with it, I finally built up the nerve and confidence to break into forward flight. If it wasn't for the Shuttle, I might would still be stuck in a hover. Unfortunately, though, it has it's limits in stock form. For my current style of flight where I don't spend more than a couple of seconds at a time inverted, it'll probably suffice (once I get it repaired and the engine right, for the full story on that check out my "Stepping into nitro helis" thread in the Hirobo support forum. RCU user Glydrjockey has helped me out tremendously through that thread.). That's what I got my Raptor 50 for [>:] .

Take care all. I'm off to look for a beginner in need of guidance.

Later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.