Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Pre flight check list

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
rparn2
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre flight check list

1. Check all mission critical nuts and bolts to make sure they're on tight. Excessove vibration can cause them to back off or come loose, even if you've used thread lock.
2. Check the ball links for looseness or slop. They'll wear our over time and if they're not on tight. (i.e. move or have play), they can pop off during flight and cause a crash.
3. Inspect the wiring. Visually check the wiring for damage3 and ensure that there are no breaks or cuts and that the servo plugs are securely plugged into the receiver. If you have any servo wire extensions, make sure the connections are solid.
4. Test your radio/functions. if it's your first flight of the day do a range check and make sure there's no interference nearby ad that the throttle/throttle hold functions are working properly. It would also be a good idea to quickly check your trims to be sure you haven't bumped one out of position.
5. Check that everything's working properly and moving as it should. Check the throw direction for al pushrods and servos and make sure the swashplate is moving as it should. It's very easy to forget to change a radio setting back to normal when bench testing.
[b6. Check your tail belt tension (if your heli has one).][/b] A loose belt can cause slippage and loss of tail control. A belt that's too tight wil put unnecessar wear on your motor and other tail drive system parts potentially causing a problem. Squeeze it with your fingers to ensure it's tight enough, but not too tight.
7. Make sure everything's mounted securely. Make sure that all parts (gyro, batteries, ESC, BEC, governor etc.) that are mounted with pads, Velcro, zip ties or double sided tape are attached securely.
8. Check your batteries. Make sure your batteries are all fully charged and secured properly. If possible, test them with a volt meter under load. Allso visually inspect them for damage or potential causes of short circuits.
9. Inspect your blades and flybar. Visually check that they're aligned properly and that they're on securely. Move them a little to make sure the dampers aren't broken or worn out.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:57 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Pre flight check list

Excellent points rparn. One more thing
You wanna check your servos too. I lost them in flight many times and it wasn't cool.
3 wasy to check:
1. with the tx and heli on, move all the servos rapidly back and forth and if anything moves slightly slower than the other, get rid of it. Also while making the servo to turn one way, try to force it back to its original position with your fingers, if it can resist the force, it's good if it can't replace it.
2. With tx and heli off, move the servo arms by hand and see if anything makes click noise or anything is slower than it used to be.
3. Open up the servo, see if yellow liquid is present on your chips. If yes, now, there is no repair for that servo.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 PM
rparn2
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Pre flight check list

Thanks for adding that info. homeunt. Some more good advice have a great day Rick