Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Yet another beginner's questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Yet another beginner's questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 PM
ayash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another beginner's questions

Hi,

After playing around with some RC toy Helis I’ve decided to get into it more seriously.
I’ve done some reading on the web and learnt that a good way to start would be to start with the E-Sky HB FP helicopter to make the start as easy and successful as possible and move up from there.

Still I’m left with quite a few beginner questions and would like to know where I can find answers. Somebody probably built some kind of a faq yet I can’t seem to find it.

Practical questions:

1. What should I buy in addition to the Helicopter for spare parts and how many in an initial purchase, since I’ll probably have it crashed?
2. How many and what type of batteries should I buy in order to be able to exercise continuously with the Helicopter and not have to wait for charge every 10-20 minutes?
3. Does the charger that come with the Heli allow me to charge with a car or requires an outlet? Can it charge multiple batteries? Or in general how can I get to use the Helicopter for long time continuously?
4. Can anyone share his experience on progress with Helis? How much it took to hover? How much to forward/backward? What are the next steps?

And theoretical questions:

5. Where can I find theoretical explanation on how these Helicopters (FP and CP) work technically and how are they controlled? What each channel is responsible for and how do they all work together etc.?
6. What are the different types of gyros out there? How are they used in the Heli?
7. What are the different type of batteries and their parameters? What do these mean?
8. What is ESC which I saw mentioned in many places?

Any pointers or answers would be great.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
nuttcaze

Default RE: Yet another beginner's questions

I'll try a few

1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYdpuM0WKtc
2 - Well Mi-Mh's are crash proof, can handle being overcharged a few times and being completely discharged a few times, things that will kill a LiPo battery,
but LiPo's have more power, are lighter, and are cheaper, so get as many as you can afford and make sure to buy at least 1 extra charger
3 - the Ni-MH charger plugs into a wall, you will end up buying a nicer charger anyways so don't worry about that for now,
You can fly the heli as long as you have charged batteries, the motors are still cool and you have a very long attention span
4 - Everyone learns at different speeds, use the sim that comes with the HBFP as much as you can, it will really help you, the next really important thing is to find
the biggest indoor area you can, the bigger the quicker you will learn, you need time to observe what the heli is doing and have time to try and compensate, but
Before that make sure you read through the flight program at Ka-Planes and RADDS, very good info at those places
5 - http://www.ka-planes.com/hovering_101_
6 - there are rate gyros and Head holding gyros, a rate gyro kinda keeps the tail from swinging back and forth from wind or such, but a HH gyro will keep the tail
where you put it, like put the tail at 5oclock and no matter where the heli goes the tail will stay there unless you move it
7 - There are Ni-MH (Nickel metal Hydride? or something) and Li-Po (Lithium Polymer), thats as much as I know
8 - An ESC is a "electronic speed controller" and does just that, controlls the speed of the motor, The HBFP has an internal one
Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM
nuttcaze

Oh also Hobbycity has some good prices on chargers
http://www.hobbycity.com?cda=41515

And if you haven't watched the other vids I made check them out sometime
http://www.youtube.com/user/nuttcaze
Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
ayash

Thanks a lot !

Seems like the link in your last post didn't come out well. Maybe some filtering? Can you try reposting them?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
nuttcaze

it won't let me post a link for some reason, but it is hobby city .com