Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

GY-401 problem (the gyro in not mine)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

GY-401 problem (the gyro in not mine)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Osirisf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GY-401 problem (the gyro in not mine)

Hey guys. I just saw that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDm...eature=related

One guy (see comments) said something about "rate" and "head hold" with a percentage. What exactly did he said? What's the difference between the "head hold" and the "rate". Isn't the "head hold" the AVCS?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
Default RE: GY-401 problem (the gyro in not mine)

You're kidding right?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Osirisf16

No man, sorry for that. I know that i'm a pain for you but please, try to answer that because i'm confused. You told me what the i want the "head hold" but didn't tell me what it is. If there is a chance of answer that in the past, please forgive me, because my memory is a bit low lately, and i can't hold recent events [&:] I was searching the answers you gave me and didn't find that. I search on google and i can't understand. I am really pissed off, when that thing with my memory is being happening [:@] I think that when i get old, i will suffer from altzhaimer (something like that), so i wanna fly helis before i forgot what RC is
Old 06-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Osirisf16

I just find that image, pretending a ryroscope. I think that kinda help

Can i figure what is the "rate" and the "head hold" on that image?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:05 AM
BarracudaHockey

A rate gyro, or a gyro in rate or what is also called normal mode, will control unwanted tail movements by applying a correction to stop the movement. That is, they control the rate of the unwanted movement and make it manageable.

A helicopter hovering in a sideways wind will eventually weathervane into the wind. The wind will push the tail the gyro will correct to stop the motion, the helicopter will stop, the breeze will push the tail, the gyro will correct and so on till its in to the wind and nothing is pushing the tail.

In heading hold (avcs, tail lock, heading lock; they all mean the same thing) the wind will blow the tail and the gyro will apply AND KEEP APPLYING a correction so the tail stays put. If the wind blows harder the gyro will apply more correction, if the wind slacks off the gyro will take some correction away. It will fight unwanted movement up to the mechanical limit of the tail rotor system at which time the tail will blow out or whip around (sometimes alarmingly)

The better the gyro, and more importantly, the better its set up by the user, will determine at what point a blow out occurs. Things like bogging the head with too much main blade pitch will slow down the tail, reduce its efficency, and make the tail blow out. So will crappy setup like not enough gain, slop in the linkage, too much gain, a servo arm thats flexable vice a nice stiff wheel etc.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Osirisf16

Ok. And that percentage what is it? The rate is 50-100% and the heading lock 0.1-50%. What are the best settings for a raptor 50?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
BarracudaHockey

Thats impossible to answer without knowing what radio and how you're setting the gain. The percentage that works on the raptor is the percentage that holds w/o running too much gain. It varies.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

i think rate mode is .5-50% and HH 50-100%..... i believe you had it backwards.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Thats impossible to answer without knowing what radio and how you're setting the gain. The percentage that works on the raptor is the percentage that holds w/o running too much gain. It varies.
I thought you would say that .Anyway, thanks for the help buddy and sorry if i was a apin. Now i know more than enough to start entering helis. My future radio would be a futaba 7C 2.4 Ghz, if you have some settings, bring them on
Old 06-02-2008, 07:50 AM
BarracudaHockey

7C, sure no problem.

Mode = GY
Rate Up = A 50
Rate Dn = N 50
Switch (pick your favorite switch)
Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Osirisf16

Oki togi