Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Beginner - Shuttle ZTS Help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner - Shuttle ZTS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 PM
dantyler975

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner - Shuttle ZTS Help!

Hey everyone

I brought a shuttle ZTS a few years back and have finally got round to finishing it off and get flying. However i have no previous experience in rc helicopters.

What iv got is just the body of the helicopter and so what i think i need is an engine, a receiver and transmitter, a gyro and servos. Basically any advice on what to get?
Heres what iv managed to find out so far from the internet:

1. Engine -

OS 32 or OS 37. Dont know if the 37 will fit. Also what do all the letters after the 32 mean?

2. Receiver/transmitter -

Need 5 channels.

3. Gyro and Servos -

Dont really have much idea here!

Also does anyone know of any good guides knocking around on the internet which will help me get everything setup once iv got it?!

Thanks in advance

Dan
Old 06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
tippy

Default RE: Beginner - Shuttle ZTS Help!

ORIGINAL: dantyler975

Hey everyone

I brought a shuttle ZTS a few years back and have finally got round to finishing it off and get flying. However i have no previous experience in rc helicopters.

What iv got is just the body of the helicopter and so what i think i need is an engine, a receiver and transmitter, a gyro and servos. Basically any advice on what to get?
Heres what iv managed to find out so far from the internet:

2. Receiver/transmitter -

Need 5 channels.
The minimum number of channels needed to fly a decent CP is 5 channels (numerically) however most TX's are setup to control (collective) pitch with the 6th channel. Channel 5 is used to remotely operate the mode and gain selection of your gyro (if you get a gyro with this feature). Most will recommend the Futaba 401 and I would agree.

So ... numerically 5 channels is the minimum but typically that 5th channel is on the 6th channel sequentially. The typical beginner TX/RX should have a minimum of 6 channels ... not 5 but I would suggest buying the most you can afford.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 AM
dantyler975

Thanks for your reply.
Ok so i need a six channel transmitter. Do you have to have particular servos/gyro to match a transmitter or can you mix and match different makes?
The futaba 401 is the gyro right? Any advice for a tx/rx unit, and engine?

Many Thanks

Dan
Old 06-24-2008, 05:20 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: dantyler975

Thanks for your reply.
Ok so i need a six channel transmitter. Do you have to have particular servos/gyro to match a transmitter or can you mix and match different makes?
The futaba 401 is the gyro right? Any advice for a tx/rx unit, and engine?

Many Thanks

Dan
More importantly ... the TX and RX must match up. Anything you plug into the RX will probably work regardless of brand.

I've had the Futaba 9C for a while now. Other than a buddy box and my old 8U, this is the only TX I've ever flown with so I have no other TX experience to compare it to.
I've been eye-balling the new 10C and I'm sure others have too so there might be a few 9Cs show up on the used market.

So basically ... if you know you'll be in the hobby for a while ... buy the best TX system you can afford.