Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner choices?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:37 AM
NightRogue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner choices?

Hello all! I am looking to get into this hobby again and I am looking for some advice. I have no experience with r/c helicopters other than a couple of small indoor jobbers.

I want to spend good money on a helicopter that I will not have to upgrade once I become skilled, so I was looking at the Exceed G2 super edition.. I know it's an advanced model but I plan on using the virtual trainer as well as being very careful until I get the hang of it. I don't really WANT to purchase an easier model, but if that's the best idea, then what should I get?

What can a 6 channel do that a 4 channel can't? Am I nailing my own coffin if I buy this model before getting started on a less advanced model?

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:53 AM
thurman52

Default RE: Beginner choices?

Stay away from the Exceed G2, that is a Walkera heli. If you want a very stable FP heli, that's a dream to fly. Spend a little more, and get a Hirobo Quark. I have one, and it is so sweet! The foam blades are a huge plus for indoor flying.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Skarn

I would not recommend ANY micro heli as a first heli to learn on. They are VERY hard to learn on as they are small and ustable/twitchy. I would get a least a mini heli in the 450 class like a TREX 450. If you do that, you can use the Finless Bob video's to show you how to build, setup and fly it.

Good luck!
Skarn
Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 AM
NightRogue

holy crap that trex is expensive! is that your best choice for beginners that don't want a chopped down experience?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Esky Belt CP, flies almost like a Rex and much cheaper. I would get a different ESC for it though, at least a 30 AMPer. I have had one for a year and love it. Parts are mail order only though. BP Hobbies and Heli Direct have them. Great support from both.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: NightRogue
I want to spend good money on a helicopter that I will not have to upgrade once I become skilled, so I was looking at the Exceed G2 super edition.. I know it's an advanced model but I plan on using the virtual trainer as well as being very careful until I get the hang of it. I don't really WANT to purchase an easier model, but if that's the best idea, then what should I get?
holy crap that trex is expensive! is that your best choice for beginners that don't want a chopped down experience?
Something tells me that you have not done your homework correctly. Go and visit a local RC field even if you have to travel to a not-so-local field. You will see the difference between a micro heli and a bigger one. Don't cut your research short by looking on the internet only.

Do not get involved by the "youtube" sellers. Those videos of micro machines doing some incredible stuff is just that: "incredible". Who can assure you that it was not edited or modified in any way. Or that the helicopter that they are trying to "sell" you is in fact the same helicopter on the video. I have seen many canopy "transplants" to make a heli look like another one from a distance.

Don't take the above paragraph the wrong way, there are some incredible mini helis out there, my point is that not all of them are the same. And definitely not all pilots are the same.

Rafael
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Skarn

It's not a cheap hobby if you want a quality heli! Yes, the TREX is not cheap, but it will take you VERY far without upgrades. A cheaper decent option is the Blade 400...but it's RTF including radio....so you won't get the build experience, but it's at least a mini heli.

Skarn
Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

Blade 400 is a great way to get a decent setup from scratch, at a really good price. I just put together a 'really cheap' 325 size 450 class heli, as small as I'd recommend to start with for stability/wind resistance. I just spent $500, and that's with already having a radio javascript:void(AddText('[X(]',''))
javascript:void(AddText('[X(]',''))
surprised myself. However, you can drop $1K into a good heli, with good equipment.

at $400 - $450 for everything, the blade 400 is an awesome way to start
Old 07-22-2008, 02:43 PM
NightRogue

thanks for the help guys, i think ill go with the blade.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Bugzilla

At $400-$450 for everything, I think I would get a Blackhawk 500 Se Pro for $439 from ka-planes.com. Larger size = more stability, nothing but good things said about the brand so far, great support from the site, and several parts interchangable with the t-rex 500. Sounds like a winner to me.